Time for a European Games

2»

Comments

• bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 2018 would have been beet as well.

2015 has the IAAF World Athletics for example. London is hosting the European Hockey Championahip.,
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    2018 is a world cup year, the second biggest sporting event in the world, for the sake of publicity there would not host them in the same year
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One solution would be for all the particpating sports to hold their exisiting European championships for that year at these Games.

A future option would be to use these Games as a qualifying tournament for the main Olympics ie. you're guaranteed to go to the main Olympics if you reach a final in the European Olympics, or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    One solution would be for all the particpating sports to hold their exisiting European championships for that year at these Games.

A future option would be to use these Games as a qualifying tournament for the main Olympics ie. you're guaranteed to go to the main Olympics if you reach a final in the European Olympics, or whatever.

Having looked at other continents 2015 see's the Pacific Games (including new countries, Australia, New Zealand and Taiwan).
    The Pan American games.
    2014 has the Asian games, but they will be in 2019.
    And the All Africa Games.

So by 2019 every Continental Olympic Committee will have a 'Continental Games', a year before The Olympics.
    So maybe your right, they will use the Continentals for qualifying.
    However. should the Continentals do what the Pan Americas do which is have a 'Paralympic' version or should like the Commonwealth Games we look at integrating the two events? I see their is a Mediterreanan Games involving France, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Greece and Egypt. in the 2013 and 2017 cycle.
    Wonder how long before Northern Europe/Scandanavia have a sub-continental event. like they have across Asia or the Americas?
    Some of the sub continentals I see have age restrictions, South American Games Athletics U23's.
    Seems that the IOC are supporting a lot of events, but is the pattern in the end going to be
    yr 1 2013 U23 Sub Continental
    yr 2 2014 blank as the IOC has Winter Games, leaving room for Commonwealth Games, and similar like the French Speaking Games (though the next one is 2013)
    yr 3 2015 Continental Games
    yr 4 2016 Rio Olympics

In any structured season where does things like the IAAF World Championships slot in the future? In 2013 if there are sub continental events they are u23 level so maybe no clash with IAAF. But in 2015 the Euro Olympics are in June, the Pan Americans are July the IAAF World Championship is August, also it is the FINA World Aquatics in 2015. Will the World's end up as the season enders so to speak..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems that a sticking point with Baku is the participation of Atheltice and Swimming.

in 2015 Tallinnn Estonia host the European U23 Athletics Championship.
    Might be to late now, but for 2019 would it not make sense that the the U23 was part of the Euro Games?
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems that a sticking point with Baku is the participation of Atheltice and Swimming.

in 2015 Tallinnn Estonia host the European U23 Athletics Championship.
    Might be to late now, but for 2019 would it not make sense that the the U23 was part of the Euro Games?

Not really - if the European Games are going to take off then they need the top athletes competing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now we are past the 2020 bids, the next bids awaiting a result are for the 2019 Pan American Games.

Last held in the USA in 1987, in Indianapolis, since then it has dropped off the USA radar (lousy TV coverage not helping?).

recent editions have seen,
    1999 Winnipeg Canada pop 730,000 approx 5,000 competitors
    2003 Samnto Dominigo Dominican Republic pop 5,300,000 com 5,200
    2007 Rio De Janeiro Brazil pop 12.300,000 com 5,600
    2011 Guadalajara Mexico pop 4,400,000 com 6,000
    2015 Toronto Canada pop pop 5,580,000

2019 bids

Ciudad Bolivar Venuzula pop 350,000
    La Piunta Argentina (pop??? in the San Luis Province 430,000)
    Lima Peru pop 8,472,000
    Santiago Chile pop 5,428,000

So with in 20 years a regional multi sports event has gone from a provincila city, to two of the 20 largest cities in the Americas hosting it. One more due to host it. Two others wanting to host it.

More what can we learn?

With only Greater Manchester and West Midlands being in Europes top 30 cities/metropllis, other than London. Relaistically will these two cities be the only British ones that may host a Euro Games?

West Yorkshire and Greater Glasgow com in the top 40, Dublin is 41st with 1,800,000 population.

Whilst being fairly compact nation the Uk cities are samller than the recent Pan American host ones, I imagine for vistors who want to stay in Hotels, they will find many options further away from Manchester (Liverpool, West Yorkshire) with good transport links making access easy to a wider area.
    For Dublin, would it cope being a small population island in terms of accomodating vistors? Think London had about 2m visitors, Europeans might get half that or a quarter of that I guess. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The European Olymnpic Committee claim to have three host for 2019.
    Still talk of Street Games Athletics, but looks like the European Team Championships (3rd League which has Azerbaijan) will be held at the Baku Stadium. Russia is hosting the Super League (Team GB).

Not sure but guess IF Azerbiajan were promoted this year they would host the Second League.

And three unnamed cities want to host 2019. Which I think allows about 5 years to get a Games ready. Would it be a city with a Athletics Stadium already? Berlin (hosting 2018 European Athletics Championships), Moscow (though after the World Athletics empty seats (last year would the EOC go there?), Paris,(but as they want 2024 Olympics maybe not) Athens(could they afford games). Without Stadium but keen for Olympics Istanbul or Madrid?

Looking at recent/upcoming European Athletics Championships are Stadiums in Amsterdam, Zurich. Helsinki too small?

Would Barcelona be better for Spain with some facilties already there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also since September and previous post, Commonwealth Games Future is in question.
    Maybe London should host 2022 as a final Games,)and who knows be centre to the Queens 70th Jubilee or a games for King Charles
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would a European Winter Games sit? Maybe it could be divided between two countries, so places like Scotland or Holland (joined with Norway) could host some events. Norway the Alpine sports, Scotland the indoor ones.

The advantage for GB is that it might get more competitors into the games that wouldn't qualify for the Olympics, plus they might finish higher up the scoreboards. The advantage for everyone is their Euro finals (Curling/Speed Skating/Ice dancing etc etc) could be all combined giving maximum TV exposure?

Of course, with the current pattern, they would be in the winter directly before or after the summer Olympics. Good or bad??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    How would a European Winter Games sit? Maybe it could be divided between two countries, so places like Scotland or Holland (joined with Norway) could host some events. Norway the Alpine sports, Scotland the indoor ones.

The advantage for GB is that it might get more competitors into the games that wouldn't qualify for the Olympics, plus they might finish higher up the scoreboards. The advantage for everyone is their Euro finals (Curling/Speed Skating/Ice dancing etc etc) could be all combined giving maximum TV exposure?

Of course, with the current pattern, they would be in the winter directly before or after the summer Olympics. Good or bad??

Little chance of a Winter edition.

London 2012 204 Nations 10,000 athletes
    Vancouver 2010 82 Nations 2,500 athletes
    Delhi 2010(CWG) 71 Nations 6,000 athletes
    Pan American Games 2011 42 Nations 6,000 athletes
    Asian Games 2010 45 Nations 9,700 athletes
    All Africa 2011 53 Nation 5.000 athletes

So really cannot see how a Winter European Games would be less than 2.000 athletes. Although maybe they could combine it with the European Para Winter athletes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations Ireland Women who will be in the Basketball event. The event is 3 x 3, which I guess is a shortened version of the game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team GB so far has 23 places over 4 sports. Archery, Boxing, Gymnastics and Triathlon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Ireland Women who will be in the Basketball event. The event is 3 x 3, which I guess is a shortened version of the game.
    Be better if it were 6 v 6 but you could be no taller than 5'3"!!
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Also since September and previous post, Commonwealth Games Future is in question.
    Maybe London should host 2022 as a final Games,)and who knows be centre to the Queens 70th Jubilee or a games for King Charles

The 2022 Commonwealths will be in either Durban, South Africa or Edmonton, Canada. The final decision will be taken next September.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This version was the one played at the Youth Olympics earlier this summer. Two teams, one net, 10 minutes a half, I think.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of information about the British sport going to the European Games next year at the link, and how they relate to Olympic qualification spots, world ranking points etc in the individual sports.

http://www.teamgb.com/news/team-gb-confirm-competing-sports-european-games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of information about the British sport going to the European Games next year at the link, and how they relate to Olympic qualification spots, world ranking points etc in the individual sports.

http://www.teamgb.com/news/team-gb-confirm-competing-sports-european-games

I wonder eventually if the Olympic Sports will all use a regional qualification process?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are now just over 200 days until Baku 2015.
    But the announcement for 2019 host, due this weekend has been put back to May. http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/A__49176/Title__2019-European-Games-Hosts-To-Be-Announced-In-May-2015/292/Articles
    14 sports were turned away from Baku. But with a four year turn around, how many will get in to the 2019 edition?
    Just for comparison Lima host of the 2019 Pan American. Para Pan American games were told last year they were hosts.
    Though due to original host Hanoi pulling out and elections, Jakarta has a 4 year torn around for the Asian and Para Asian games.

No word if the 2019 Europeans will have a Para Games, or if they will have more disciplines in the actual Games. The 2015 edition Judo will have Para-athletes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in two minds about this. I love the Olympics and getting into other sports, but on the other hand my two fave sports have their own European competitions and I wouldn't want them being diluted by being in the same games as all the others.

Thought is, there is a "Mediterranean games" (think every 4 years), the Commonwealths but nothing for the rest of Europe (that I'm aware of), so it would make sense to combine all the three (Med, Comm, European) as a separate entity; or have a Games for those not involved in the Med or Commonwealths, which would exclude GB of course.