Options

The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gilbert wins the Tour of Beijing to bring down the curtain on the top level season

In the final standings Valverde is the top rider, Movistar the top team and Spain the top nation

Sky finish the season in 8th place which I guess must go down as disappointing for them

Froome was the top British rider in 7th place and GB finished 7th in the National ranking

Looking forward to next season there are only 17 world tour teams. No one has yet come forward to replace Canondale. The deadline for licenses has passed so unless the UCI bend the rules for a late applicant it looks like we'll have smaller pelotons or more space for wildcard teams in the top races next season
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Sky finish the season in 8th place which I guess must go down as disappointing for them
    Brailsford is said to be changing strategy for next season: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-10-08/team-sky-ripping-up-strategy-after-tough-season

Though targeting Paris-Roubaix and Le Tour next year seems to lack wider ambition for Sky's budget.

Tinkoff has offered €250,000 to the top four to compete in all three 2015 GTs. The offer had a luke warm reception at best. Three times three weeks is too much to remain top end competitive. Adam Hansen does three GTs a year but not at the sharp end.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty more track action to come in the next few weeks. No sign of any coverage for the European Champs, which start today, but Eurosport have the Amsterdam 6-Day next week, and ITV4 will have the Revolution Series again.

Track Cycling World Cup dates are

Guadaljara, Mexico 8 Nov
    London, 5 Dec
    Cali, Colombia 17 Jan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were some prelim races in the European Track Champs yesterday. Good news for both British team pursuit squads - they both comfortably qualified in first place and so will have the easier semi-finals.

Men are up against Switzerland, women against Germany

http://www.teamgb.com/news/gb-lay-down-marker-day-one-european-track-champs
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I notice the European Track Championships are being held in the Caribbean :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprisingly perhaps Guadeloupe is part of France......it is a Département just like any on the French mainland !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From heroes at Le Tour to doping zeros at the end of the season. An Astana stagiaire has delivered the third doping violation of the past couple of months. Their World Tour licence is called in for review: http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/10/news/third-positive-uci-requests-license-commission-review-astana-worldtour-license_349623

Hopefully, Nibali has a get out clause in his contract if the licence is withdrawn.

The Viviani rumours are confirmed - he has joined Sky from Cannondale (who are merging with Garmin).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A third Astana rider has now proved positive in a dope test.....Ilya Davidenok

Apparently the test was conducted at the Tour de L'Avenir which is considered as the Tour de France for under 23s

The UCI are going to undertake an investigation into the team with regard to their suitability for holding a world tour licence........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cmq2 wrote: »
    The Viviani rumours are confirmed - he has joined Sky from Cannondale (who are merging with Garmin).

that's handy.......Sky haven't had a decent sprinter since Cav left

where would you put him in the pecking order ?..........I reckon he's one of the dozen guys who might win if the half dozen big guns are not there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    that's handy.......Sky haven't had a decent sprinter since Cav left

where would you put him in the pecking order ?..........I reckon he's one of the dozen guys who might win if the half dozen big guns are not there.
    For sure, Viviani and Swift are not the new Debenkolb and Kittel. Both though are young with time to sharpen their skills further.

Viviani went head to head with Cavendish in the Tour of Turkey and won stages though Team OPQS was misfiring. He did not show in the TdF or the latter part of the Giro but completed both.

The question is how will Sky use him? As a sideshow in a GC tour team? Or as part of a non-GC stage chasing team in the other two GTs or mini tours? If Froome is persuaded to ride two GTs next season he will not need many build up races. The TdF showed Team Sky had no Plan B.

It closes the door on Cavendish's return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So double gold for GB in the European Champs - the men's team pursuit squad of Ed Clancy, Jon Dibben, Owain Doull and Andy Tennant narrowly beat Germany, and the women's squad of Katie Archibald, Elinor Barker, Clara Horne and Laura Trott thrashed Russia. Ed Clancy also got a bronze in the men's scratch race.

Unfortunately, sprinting continues to be weak, the men's team sprint squad (Lewis Oliva, Matt Crampton and Callum Skinner) only got 6th, and the women's team sprint squad (Katy Marchant and Rosie Blount) were only 9th.

The track is Guadeloupe is a real old-fashioned one - a big open-air, low-banked concrete arena, like the velodrome where the Paris-Roubaix finishes.
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All results are posted on http://www.trackcyclingtiming.com/

Except Crampton, the British sprinters are all GB debutantes at international championships. Not a major surprise considering the ETC ranks below the World Cup meets in spite of its status as an Olympic qualification event.

The men's second/third riders were among the quickest of the bunch, but the first was terrible. The women were seventh, by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More medals for the British cycling team in Guadeloupe. Callum Skinner took gold in the kilo time trial - that was Chris Hoy's original event, so a good omen after some disappointing performances in the sprints - none of our men or women got past the first round. Andy Tennant also got gold in the Individual Pursuit, and Jon Dibben got silver in the men's Omnium, Last night of the champs is tonight.
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skinner's victory was a pleasant surprise - though 1:02.399 on an outdoor concrete track is pretty good going, his nearest rival (Eilers) medalled in the last two World Championships. That said, Purvis is not there.

I see the order of omnium events has changed, as well as the points awarded for event positions (40 for a win, and 2 points less for each subsequent lesser position). A different system applies to the points race - your result in that race is added directly to your overall tally (e.g. Dibben: 150 after 5 events + 48 in the points race = 198).

On another note, it seems that Skinner and Oliva were also in the 2012 ETC, so they're not GB debutants as I originally thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live cyclocross on the YouTube UCI Channel today: http://www.uci.ch/

Helen Wyman second in the just finished women's race. Men's race starts at 14:00 hrs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two more golds on the final day. Katie Archibald continues her phenomenal progress by taking the women's individual pursuit. Laura Trott won her first gold in the new forrmat of the omnium, beating Belgian Julien D'Hoore on the final sprint of the points race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/29685136

So overall final total of 6G 1S 1B
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see that the Six Days of Amsterdam starts today on ES2 at 6.15.........there's about 3 hours of scheduled coverage every night

The commentators often mention the Six Dayers but I don't think there's ever been one on TV before

To be honest I haven't really got much idea as to what happens........Wiki describes it as a six day long race for pairs of riders, the winning pair being the one that completes most laps. Unlike the old days they now only race for about 8 hours a day with one rider on the track at all times while the other one rests.......like tag team cycling

Must say that it sounds pretty boring...........:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, for anyone who isn't watching the 6 Day....it's all based around the madison, but there are lots of different events within the evening. However, all the scores of the other events are calculated against the overall Madison situation, so once you win 100 points from the other races, you are awarded a lap in the madison. There are a lot of races you don't normally see on the circuit, like team sprint relays, a derney race where each rider gets their own personal motorbike to follow, and other more conventional events like the kierin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah........it was a bit more interesting than I thought it would be

But I can't really get interested in those 100 or 200 lap Madisons......:o

I don't know if ES intend to show more of these but the commentator.......Carlton again! .........did say that Cav intends to ride one of the 6 Day events. I think he said Ghent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    what's happened with the cycling ?

:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not watched SixDays today. Twitter says derny driver seriously injured in a pile up leading to this evening's racing being cancelled. Let's hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
    STATEMENT AFTER ACCIDENT IN VELODROME AMSTERDAM / OCTOBER 21, 2014
    The second evening of the Six Day Amsterdam Tuesday shut down after a serious accident that took place during the first derny race.
    The experienced pacer Cees Stam sustained serious injuries in a crash in the final laps of the race.
    He was treated on the track by medical personnel. Then he brought for further investigation and treatment to the VU hospital.
    A number of other pacemakers and riders were involved in the accident, but despite minor injuries in order.
    The organization comes with more news as soon as it is available

http://www.zesdaagseamsterdam.nl/Nieuwsbericht/verklaring-na-ongeval-in-velodrome-amsterdam
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cmq2 wrote: »
    Not watched SixDays today. Twitter says derny driver seriously injured in a pile up leading to this evening's racing being cancelled.

http://www.zesdaagseamsterdam.nl/Nieuwsbericht/verklaring-na-ongeval-in-velodrome-amsterdam

thanks

I haven't been watching but flicking over during the adverts and every time it was one of those WATTS fillers

hope the guy recovers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was bad, several riders and derny pilots went down, and at least one of the derny pilots got run over by another derny, which must have been going at about 50kph. Isaac Galvez, the Spanish Madison world champ was killed in the Ghent Six-Day back in 2006.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six Days at Amsterdam back live after basketball. Derny driver Cees Stam is still in critical condition. His family have encouraged racing to continue.

The 2015 TdF to be decided on the Alpe d'Huez?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_VIVJaleM
    http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/us/overall-route.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how they decide which riders take part in these 6 day races

There only looks to be 24 riders competing.........how do they pick them ?