Options

Steve Backshall deserved more

TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought Steve was fantastic, looked more like a professional dancer, so I was surprised that his marks weren't higher.just what does he have to do to impress those judges, yet they waxed lyrical about some other performances which appeared mediocre to me.

Comments

• Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is undermarked every week i think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    While I disagree that Steve in any way looks like a professional dancer I do think he was in the wrong place on the leaderboard. The easy, neat lifts, the backwards, jumping splits through Ola's legs, the content of the steps - I think his dance was better and cleaner than both Sunetra's and Alison's (whom I like). I also think Mark's quickstep was messy with poor posture and Thom's foxtrot lacked drive and posture and they should have been lower on the leaderboard.
  • Options
    *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    They got his marks right this week. His tango and QS were undermarked, though....considering how generous the judges were to other contestants during those weeks.

I thought it was insane how he and Sunetra got the same marks as Alison, who just shakes her boobs about every week and barely moved at all during her samba
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta love Steve's attitude, and considering he has no dance or performance background he's doing absolutely great.

But I'm not sure he deserved any more for his Salsa. It was daring in the lift department but to me it looked to be missing that fluid Latin hip action throughout.

He should probably have been placed higher than Alison but I wouldn't have said he was better than Simon, Mark or Thom last night. And I think his and Sunetra's Salsas were on a par really. They had different things going for and against them but weighed up I felt they were of an equal standard.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Backshall deserves his very own pet monkey
    :D:p

I know he's not a natural or acclimatised dancer but I have to respect him and love the energy he brings to everything he does. Quite happy with his marks so far. Realism is the only useful way to go with a new skill. And it's less annoying than inflated scores
  • Options
    bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    I thought Steve was fantastic, looked more like a professional dancer,
    hahahahaha :D You are not serious!!

he had some tricks probably because he does martial arts and is generally in very good shape but he did not dance that salsa well
  • Options
    *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't fault his enthusiasm but there was zero hip action in that salsa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Yes, he's been a bit under marked most weeks (at least in comparison to those above him).
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I think he is getting votes

The above rated Mark and Simon were both in the bottom two
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    He needs to start standing out if he wants to stay in, that's for sure
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve deserves all sorts of things but I'm pretty sure I'd get asked to leave if I suggested any of them ;-)
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't unhappy with his score. Though I can be a little miffed how he gets the same score as Alison. Not denying his lack of actual salsa but when Alison can do a backwards splits through Aljaz's legs and do a round the world, then it's fair. Not just for shimmying her boobs about
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not a natural like Jake and has to work very hard to learn to dance from absolute zero, but he is doing that. I think his scoring and position on the judge's leader board have been about right.

He is perhaps the least likely Strictly contestant, having spent a lot of the last 20 years in wild parts of the Earth, being a scientist and separated from the showbiz side of Television.

His performance side on Strictly has been a surprise to me, and I think that has helped his scores while he is progressing at learning to dance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    I wasn't unhappy with his score. Though I can be a little miffed how he gets the same score as Alison. Not denying his lack of actual salsa but when Alison can do a backwards splits through Aljaz's legs and do a round the world, then it's fair. Not just for shimmying her boobs about
    that's the thing, steve relied on athletism and strength and Ola put a fair bit of shimmying in their routine as well

Alison danced more than Steve did in their routines
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigbro24 wrote: »
    that's the thing, steve relied on athletism and strength and Ola put a fair bit of shimmying in their routine as well

And charm too... that intangible thing :cool:

I'm sure someone's voting for him. Endangered species everywhere are supporting Steve.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »

I doubt any of the other contestants could do that, let alone Alison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    And charm too... that intangible thing :cool:

I'm sure someone's voting for him. Endangered species everywhere are supporting Steve.

both steve and alison are both probable getting votes other than just dance ability
    going by the it takes two thread their personalities are appealing to people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    both steve and alison are both relying on aspects other than just dance.

:cool:
    Absolutely! I like both of them
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    He's not a natural like Jake and has to work very hard to learn to dance from absolute zero, but he is doing that. I think his scoring and position on the judge's leader board have been about right.

He is perhaps the least likely Strictly contestant, having spent a lot of the last 20 years in wild parts of the Earth, being a scientist and separated from the showbiz side of Television.

His performance side on Strictly has been a surprise to me, and I think that has helped his scores while he is progressing at learning to dance.

I think he encompasses all that is Strictly. He is improving each week and he just gets on with it with a smile on his face. I had never heard of him before the show but I am voting for him each week because I really like his attitude.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    both steve and alison are both probable getting votes other than just dance ability

Without wanting to do a Len impression, I think they are getting votes for the way they come out and fearlessly go for it. They are both very aware of their limitations, going on their interviews, but they put on a smile and show tremendous intent. I think people like that. Well, I do anyway. The point of the show is people learning to dance.

Steve is a complete learner and it doesn't come easily to him, but he is working his socks off and the improvement from the cha cha cha to the salsa I think should be obvious to anyone. I was really glad the judges commented on his attitude and - now I know he's back in, might not be saying this if he wasn't - I am fine with his score. I think he can improve from here as well - I really hope he can stay in and get the chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Without wanting to do a Len impression, I think they are getting votes for the way they come out and fearlessly go for it. They are both very aware of their limitations, going on their interviews, but they put on a smile and show tremendous intent. I think people like that. Well, I do anyway. The point of the show is people learning to dance.

Steve is a complete learner and it doesn't come easily to him, but he is working his socks off and the improvement from the cha cha cha to the salsa I think should be obvious to anyone. I was really glad the judges commented on his attitude and - now I know he's back in, might not be saying this if he wasn't - I am fine with his score. I think he can improve from here as well - I really hope he can stay in and get the chance.

Actually the point of the show varies depending on the viewer - sometimes it's the best dancer, sometimes it's the one with no experience, sometimes it's the one whi improves the most, sometimes it's the most "likeable" one.

One thing i noticed a long time ago is the endless messages in support of a certain celeb don't make a difference in swaying opinion or influencing the outcome.

I'd be surprised if Steve got any better and i don't think he needs to , to get votes ......and I am pretty sure from experience that Ola is very aware of this ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually the point of the show varies depending on the viewer - sometimes it's the best dancer, sometimes it's the one with no experience, sometimes it's the one whi improves the most, sometimes it's the most "likeable" one.

One thing i noticed a long time ago is the endless messages in support of a certain celeb don't make a difference in swaying opinion or influencing the outcome.

I'd be surprised if Steve got any better and i don't think he needs to , to get votes ......and I am pretty sure from experience that Ola is very aware of this ;)

I'm a little less cynical about the process. Sure there's the basic attractiveness or charm of the individual contestants, whoever they are, and that element is for some viewers completely independent of whether they're good or not at the outset. But without signs of getting better the support would stagnate. Look at Natalie last year. She didn't progress because she was amazing from the get go. Abbey on the other hand was able to improve.

Besides, there's already visible improvement in Steve (if you squint and focus hard)... and a lot of room for more too :o:p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a little less cynical about the process. Sure there's the basic attractiveness or charm of the individual contestants, whoever they are, and that element is for some viewers completely independent of whether they're good or not at the outset. But without signs of getting better the support would stagnate. Look at Natalie last year. She didn't progress because she was amazing from the get go. Abbey on the other hand was able to improve.

Besides, there's already visible improvement in Steve (if you squint and focus hard)... and a lot of room for more too :o:p:D

But i'm looking at the wider picture of who people vote for not just last years final
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But i'm looking at the wider picture of who people vote for not just last years final

You've lost me, sorry. 'Wider picture' and that hazy group of voters is what has puzzled me. Do you mean in reality tv generally? Just going by your user name...

My intuition is that in the case of SCD some sense of improvement in whatever aspect is a huge help in holding onto or building support, especially for the lowly beginners. Even spurious improvement is gold. The real stuff (however puny from the pov of the top-of-the-board) has an energy that it's hard to resist. Judy this week, for example. We're a species with some good instincts left and everyone loves a trier :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've
    lost me, sorry. 'Wider picture' and that hazy group of voters is what has puzzled me. Do you mean in reality tv generally? Just going by your user name...

My intuition is that in the case of SCD some sense of improvement in whatever aspect is a huge help in holding onto or building support, especially for the lowly beginners. Even spurious improvement is gold.

Abbey in dance off...not always popular
    Improved dancers....don't always get the vote
    Alesha good from day one....wins
    What hazy group of voters are you talking about?

And yeah i said there are numerous reasons people vote there is no 'one point' of the show