ATM debited money but no money came out?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
So went to the ATM last Thursday to withdraw £200, entered my pin etc and it just sat there doing nothing for a couple of mins, it finally put my card out and said "Sorry can not complete this transaction" OK I thought so went to another ATM but this time it said I didn't have enough funds, I found this odd as I had £300 in my current account so checked my banking app and the first ATM debited my account for £200 even though I got no money out.

I went home and phoned the bank who raised an issue and said I will get my money refunded within 48 working hours, At the moment still nothing, direct debits due out, no money in and its all gonna end in a mess. Anyone else ever had this happen to them? What exactly happens?

Comments

• scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So went to the ATM last Thursday to withdraw £200, entered my pin etc and it just sat there doing nothing for a couple of mins, it finally put my card out and said "Sorry can not complete this transaction" OK I thought so went to another ATM but this time it said I didn't have enough funds, I found this odd as I had £300 in my current account so checked my banking app and the first ATM debited my account for £200 even though I got no money out.

I went home and phoned the bank who raised an issue and said I will get my money refunded within 48 working hours, At the moment still nothing, direct debits due out, no money in and its all gonna end in a mess. Anyone else ever had this happen to them? What exactly happens?

does the weekend cancel out working hours?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    does the weekend cancel out working hours?

I was hoping someone on here would know this, if we are talking working hours, 8hrs per day thats 6 days :o would take me to Friday this week.
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    48 working hours normally means 2 working days so in this case Friday and Monday. If there are problems with direct debits then as its the banks fault they are responsible and should fix it - provided you tell them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was the atm you used not your banks atm but another companies?
    Similar story but its when you use different machines etc receiving the information and them analysing the data etc
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/business-15307444
    if there is any info here about direct debits and money due out
    http://www.adviceguide.org.ukif/wales/debt_w/debt_banking_e/how_bank_accounts_work.htm

also what time did you report it on which day?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    was the atm you used not your banks atm but another companies?
    Similar story but its when you use different machines etc
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/business-15307444
    if there is any info here about direct debits and money due out
    http://www.adviceguide.org.ukif/wales/debt_w/debt_banking_e/how_bank_accounts_work.htm

also what time did you report it on which day?

No the ATM was one of them generic type ones in a shopping centre. I reported it on Thursday.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    48 working hours normally means 2 working days so in this case Friday and Monday. If there are problems with direct debits then as its the banks fault they are responsible and should fix it - provided you tell them.

But if someone was removing cash how would they pay for the direct debits because the account would still have £200 less in it wether the op got it from the machine or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the ATM was one of them generic type ones in a shopping centre. I reported it on Thursday.

48 hours 2 working days so you will have to call them on monday.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    But if someone was removing cash how would they pay for the direct debits because the account would still have £200 less in it wether the op got it from the machine or not.

That's a very good point. Of course it's possible the OP then went to a cash machine (ATM is so ... american... don't you think) and withdrew the last £100. Leaving nothing to pay the direct debits.
  • naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »

Presumably the OP had to take out some/all of what would have been the £100 balance that would otherwise have been there for the direct debits.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    That's a very good point. Of course it's possible the OP then went to a cash machine (ATM is so ... american... don't you think) and withdrew the last £100. Leaving nothing to pay the direct debits.

What's the big deal about saying ATM?
    I say it, all my close family say it, I have a work colleague who says cash point though.
    When I say ATM, I don't think, "Look everyone, I'm not from the Old Kent Road, I'm American."
    I'll agree, ATM undoubtedly came from America, but booze is from Dutch, breeze is from Portuguese, lager and kindergarten are German, we say these words without thinking, we don't say them to sound like pseudo Dutch, Portuguese or German people
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I say it, all my close family say it, I have a work colleague who says cash point though.
    When I say ATM, I don't think, "Look everyone, I'm not from the Old Kent Road, I'm American."
    I'll agree, ATM undoubtedly came from America, but booze is from Dutch, breeze is from Portuguese, lager and kindergarten are German, we say these words without thinking, we don't say them to sound like pseudo Dutch, Portuguese or German people

I prefer "wole in the hall"
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameras above ATMs if any problems
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Cameras above ATMs if any problems

Not much help for finding out how long it will be until the money is back in the account though
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    This has happened to me before. Sometimes it gets stuck in the dispenser. Sometimes it is empty. More modern software displays a message that the machine has run out of money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This machine just sat doing nothing, didn't even attempt to count up the money as you would usually hear it doing.

Managed to cancel the direct debits so tragedy averted.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I worked in the industry.
    A phone call was never enough.
    A signed claim form was required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked in the industry.
    A phone call was never enough.
    A signed claim form was required.

They said the way it works was money refunded within 48hrs, it is then chased up with the ATM owner, if it was my fault I have 14 working days to return the money. I asked what if the money came out after I left, they said the can see what time the card gets ejected and if any money was issued.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

It all depends on where in the UK you come from.

In the South, you had "cashiers", whereas further north you had "tellers". Indeed, Bank of Scotland has the trademark "Autoteller" for their ATMs (although they are now referred to under the Lloyds trademarke of "Cashpoint".
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this happened to me, when I went into Santander to withdraw some cash... nothing came out and the system went down....... I informed Santander straight away, then took a trek to the bank where my card is from and informed them (told them in great detail, what had happened)... they soon told me that the amount i'd asked for had been taken from my account, and they'd log a 'query' (forgot the actual name for it) with Santander.... that the money had not actually been given over to me.... anyway the money was back into my account within 48 hours.....
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The difference is that the "T" is for "teller", which is an american word for "cashier". We don't, so far as I know, have tellers in this country. However:
    It all depends on where in the UK you come from.

In the South, you had "cashiers", whereas further north you had "tellers".........

I'm from the north, and I never heard a cashier anywhere referred to as a "teller".

At this rate, it won't be long before we start calling mobile phones "cells", just because the americans do. :)
  • HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This machine just sat doing nothing, didn't even attempt to count up the money as you would usually hear it doing.

Managed to cancel the direct debits so tragedy averted.

Won't the companies expecting to be paid by direct debit be annoyed?
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't get the relevance of thr direct debits, op has gone to withdraw 200 out of an account that had 300, leaving 100. The fact the op never got the money has no affect on the dd payments as the account would still be at 100 in credit either way.
    I've had similar issues with smaller amounts but never once got it sorted with just one phone call.

I had to contact the bank get passed to the fraud teem fill in a statement, it took about 4 days to get my money back.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once asked for £200 and the machine gave me £60 but took £200 off my balance. I went straight inside and told them, filled in a form and had to wait a couple of days. Sure enough I got refunded. Only thing they refunded the whole £200.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happened to me a few years back at my branche's own ATM. I went straight to the teller and told her what happened and she didn't believe me, stupid cow. Anyway, she informed me that if I was telling the truth, then at the end of the day the ATM would not be balanced and the money will be deposited back into my account. I'm sure it took about 4 or 5 days before the money was refunded.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James_May wrote: »
    This happened to me a few years back at my branche's own ATM. I went straight to the teller and told her what happened and she didn't believe me, stupid cow. Anyway, she informed me that if I was telling the truth, then at the end of the day the ATM would not be balanced and the money will be deposited back into my account. I'm sure it took about 4 or 5 days before the money was refunded.

Yes this is what happened to me as well. Unfortunatly the system is not quick, so it will take a few days to get sorted.