Eurosport: Has it got a future ?

WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the summer, Discovery Communications Inc, the holding company for all the Discovery reality TV channels, exercised its buy option on a majority stake in Eurosport off TF1 in France.

Over the last couple of years with the uncertainty over ownership, Eurosport has lost a tonne of live sport, almost all live tennis outside the three slams, excl Wimbledon, as well as all MotoGP classes.

Now I read that the new executive sent over from the US to run Eurosport is talking about buying "national" sporting rights of high calibre, mentioning a possible Premier League football rights bid.

That worries me, anyone who has previously tried to compete with Sky has simply blown several hundred million pounds on a small package of live games and then failed to get enough subscribers to pay for it: ESPN, Setanta.

What do you think, is Eurosport heading for the TV channel scrapheap with this new strategy, departing from the pan-European broadcast model that defined it ?

Comments

• 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that Eurosport has got a strong majority owner I think it will be in a better position to retain rights. I don't think that the comments about the Premier League were all that recent, I think they were just the executive's initial comments when he was appointed.
    I also think Eurosport has suffered in the way that ITV Sport has - it's been caught in the larger battle between Sky and BT but its business model does not make it viable to match their bids.
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, agree totally, and I hope you are right about the Premier League rights comment being old and that they will not go that way.

If they do, they will just get burned badly, spending maybe 300 million pounds for a game a week. Look at BT, they have spent over a billion pounds on sports rights to date and are not charging the vast majority of BT Sport viewers for a second year.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PL rights are simply not profitable on the basis of only broadcast revenue - even if you include potential subscription. It only becomes worthwhile as a way of driving customers to other products (phone, broadband etc).

Eurosport are clearly stuck in the middle of Sky and BT's 'Sports Wars' - I have no idea how their business model works, providing two non-sub HD channels which show only minor sports rights doesn't sound like a winner to me.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say yes, They cover a lot of cycling, Tennis, if Sky or BT aren't showing it, with BT getting the WTA tour contract, I wasn't expecting any Tennis on Eurosport, but take today for example, they are showing the Luxemburg open.

They have the Davis Cup, The Aussie Open tennis all to themselves. They also show a lot of snooker

There are other Sports other than Football
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say yes, They cover a lot of cycling, Tennis, if Sky or BT aren't showing it, with BT getting the WTA tour contract, I wasn't expecting any Tennis on Eurosport, but take today for example, they are showing the Luxemburg open.

They have the Davis Cup, The Aussie Open tennis all to themselves. They also show a lot of snooker

There are other Sports other than Football

French Open, BDO darts, Speedway, Bowls.... theres still alot of sport out there for them
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurosport can survive on winter sport which they were for originally.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remember back in the 90s eurosport did close down for a bit i think it was just off the sky pulled out of the channel and then came back but only starting in the afternoon before going back starting at breakfast time
  • wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think the future of Eurosport lies in greater fragmentation of their product. So for instance it is profitable for their Nordic arm to show Bundesliga football but for the UK section to get invovled trying to outbid the current right's holder probably isn't going to be a good thing.

There are a lot of examples of these "opt outs" (French Eurosport show Ligue 2 but I can't see British Eurosport trying to take the Football League rights in the UK) because these days it's not easy to find exclusive pan-European sports rights so I could see greater divergence starting to happen with Eurosport over the coming years.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only tend to watch Eurosport for the winter sports. They do a good job of it.
  • aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was slightly wierd that Eurosport didn't show live the WEC race from Fuji, given they have the rights. Motors TV didn't as they had coverage of the V8 Supercars.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be possible that he was talking about none UK rights to air PL football ?
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurosport have always given comprehensive coverage to the African Cup Of Nations, long before BBC and ITV started showing it.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe it was this interview (Clicky) that the op is referring to.
    wal28 wrote: »
    Actually I think the future of Eurosport lies in greater fragmentation of their product. So for instance it is profitable for their Nordic arm to show Bundesliga football but for the UK section to get invovled trying to outbid the current right's holder probably isn't going to be a good thing.

I agree with this, and other posters with this statement. For instance, Eurosport shows a lot of Women's Football, so why not put in a bid to show the Women's Super League rather than the Frauen Bundesliga so there's no 'disconnect' between the teams playing and the audience.

And for once, I'd love it for Eurosport to stop buying live/packaged rights where all you'd get during the week is endless repeats of it (eg - 'NFL round up' is on every day) where Live coverage could be placed instead.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    I only tend to watch Eurosport for the winter sports. They do a good job of it.

I'm the same, although their cycling coverage in the summer is very good.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurosport has benefited massively from the snooker boom of the last few years, with new tournaments appearing across Europe and Asia.

They also show a lot of darts these days - I wish they'd focus on overseas PDC events rather than the second-rate BDO stuff, but it's there anyway.

Eurosport and ITV will continue to thrive because there remain a number of sport governing bodies and event sponsors who value the exposure free-to-air broadcasters offer over pay TV. There's a balance to be struck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    There is a gap in the market for sports rights that aren't going to drive the subscriptions that Sky and BT require yet aren't appealing to FTA broadcasters. Eurosport will stay much as it is in the future as it has been in the past.
  • jwire1977jwire1977 Posts: 490
    Forum Member

Eurosport are clearly stuck in the middle of Sky and BT's 'Sports Wars' - I have no idea how their business model works, providing two non-sub HD channels which show only minor sports rights doesn't sound like a winner to me.

As a cycling fan, it's the station I watch most. No idea what their figures are but there's a race (or even 3) on most days between March and September with each event getting numerous repeats then in the 6 months inbetween it's winter sports galore.

To cater for those without pay TV they have their own online subscription service called Eurosport Player. £3.99 pcm.

Long live Eurosport!
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do support it when it shows the minority stuff like the handball (do they even show it anymore?) and the futsal, and winter sports too ..... snooker and the mass amount of UEFA competitions ..... even the tour de france as well!

but most times they are severely lacking in showing different sports ..... the last months or so it's all tennis and cycling!

they desparately need a third main channel too ..... even streams would be better
  • Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Eurosport has benefited massively from the snooker boom of the last few years, with new tournaments appearing across Europe and Asia.

They also show a lot of darts these days - I wish they'd focus on overseas PDC events rather than the second-rate BDO stuff, but it's there anyway.

Eurosport and ITV will continue to thrive because there remain a number of sport governing bodies and event sponsors who value the exposure free-to-air broadcasters offer over pay TV. There's a balance to be struck.

Surely Eurosport is part of a subscription package?
  • ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch all of the cycling.

My gripes with the channel would be:

1. Poor commentary (Calrlton Kirby is terrible as the 'play by play' man).

2. Unpredictable timings (one out of four of my recordings of the Tour of Beijing actually showed the finish even though i picked showings schedules after non-live content).

3. Need a third channel/stream (French Open on two channels means we miss an important cycling race every year).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Surely Eurosport is part of a subscription package?

Yeah it is, its part of Sky News and Events I believe.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    i do support it when it shows the minority stuff like the handball (do they even show it anymore?) and the futsal, and winter sports too ..... snooker and the mass amount of UEFA competitions ..... even the tour de france as well!

but most times they are severely lacking in showing different sports ..... the last months or so it's all tennis and cycling!

they desparately need a third main channel too ..... even streams would be better

They do have a third and more streams - but you have to subscribe to Eurosport Player for that. For me the stuff they show in summer is of no interest, but great if you are into cycling, tennis and motorsports I suppose. Eurosport kicks in for me with the winter season - biathlon, ski-jumping and a certain sport requiring stones on ice. But even the latter has diminished lately and been shown on FTA web channels.

Stuff like volleyball and handball used to be shown quite a bit but is now mainly absent - laola1 free web-based TV does cover those, but it's getting frustrating trying to find Euro and World championships in those sports.

If the Curling Euros are on in November/December and March/April, I'll probably do a monthly web sub for 6 months.

But overall the channel seems to have gone downhill (pun intended) in the last 2 - 3 years. Needs a darned good shake-up.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ITV4 are basically a FTA version of Eurosport, just lacking sports rights. Maybe the Eurosport model needs to make 1 channel FTA maybe on Freeview. That will bring in added commercial fees and could help drive the brand and get it going again.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I do not watch it every day or anything. I love Eurosport.

It has a spontaneous and surprising feel to it sometimes as things show up that are not listed.

I love their coverage of lesser Football tournaments (Asian Games in the past), CONCACAF Gold Cup and a such.

I watch all 24 hours of Le Man on there and its great casual coverage. Just wish they did not switch it from BE to BE2 so often.

Futsal is also another sport that is not shown anywhere else.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    For me the only thing of interest on there is the superbikes (World and British). The most annoying thing about the channels is the dynamic scheduling. If a live tennis match lasts longer than planned for then it follows that to then end the cuts partway into the following programme. But if the superbikes runs late that gets chopped.