Options

Stephen Hawking says universe not created by God

D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Interesting article about a piece in a new book by Stephen Hawking, which has gained a lot of interest: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/02/stephen-hawking-big-bang-creator
God did not create the universe, the man who is arguably Britain's most famous living scientist says in a forthcoming book.

In the new work, The Grand Design, Professor Stephen Hawking argues that the Big Bang, rather than occurring following the intervention of a divine being, was inevitable due to the law of gravity.

In his 1988 book, A Brief History of Time, Hawking had seemed to accept the role of God in the creation of the universe. But in the new text, co-written with American physicist Leonard Mlodinow, he said new theories showed a creator is "not necessary".

The Grand Design, an extract of which appears in the Times today, sets out to contest Sir Isaac Newton's belief that the universe must have been designed by God as it could not have been created out of chaos.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing," he writes. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

In the forthcoming book, published on 9 September, Hawking says that M-theory, a form of string theory, will achieve this goal: "M-theory is the unified theory Einstein was hoping to find," he theorises.

"The fact that we human beings – who are ourselves mere collections of fundamental particles of nature – have been able to come this close to an understanding of the laws governing us and our universe is a great triumph."

Comments

• Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I didn't need Stephen Hawking to tell me that. :D
  • Options
    stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been saying that for years. :D

Edit - Me and Emby have been saying that for years. In fact only last night, we were discussing M theory and hypothesising a 26 dimension universe. Honest. :D
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe, Professor Stephen Hawking has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11161493

Good Ol Stephen, despite his limitations, he is still able to flip the finger up at the god squads :D.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've ordered the book. I don't think I'll be able to understand it!
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, Stephen Hawking. The man who can not possibly be wrong about anything because he is severely disabled and uses a voice synthesizer.
    Would an able-bodied scientist get this amount of fawning attention?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, two threads about this. I'll stick my post in here as well:

Ah, Stephen Hawking. The man who can not possibly be wrong about anything because he is severely disabled and uses a voice synthesizer.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »

Einstein, Newton, Prof Brian Cox (my wife fawns over him all the time)........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

Yes, if they scaled the same heights of genius as Stephen Hawking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you get to Hawking's position (or previous position) because you're disabled. In spite of, maybe. And, whilst I'm sure that some media attention is because of that, that doesn't devalue his work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    I didn't need Stephen Hawking to tell me that. :D

Well, quite.

Is this supposed to be news?
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bit of a 'no sh*t Sherlock' statement for me!
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I despair.
  • Options
    stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stephen Hawking is an intellectual powerhouse. One of the greatest theoretical physicits to have walked the planet. I think he knows his stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some religious people have tried to interpret what Hawking meant in his one of previous books as saying that meant god exists, so I guess this is (as a side issue, in his book) unmuddying those waters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I assume you are educated in Mr Hawkins line of Science to be able to suggest he is respected only because of his disability?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    Einstein, Newton, Prof Brian Cox (my wife fawns over him all the time)........

Marie Curie (two Nobel prizes for physics), Nobel himself, Charles Darwin, Louis Pasteur, Archimedes, Leonardo da Vinci, Kirill Kondratyev, Mikhail Lomonosov, Dmitri Mendeelev, Aleksandr Popov, Sofia Kovalevskaya, Galileo, Ivan Pavlov...the list goes on.

Of course he would Andy, the attention given to him has nothing to do with the fact he's disabled, it's because he's a genius. It's insulting to suggest otherwise, and deeply patronizing.
  • Options
    KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I don't believe in god...can he tell us what happened 1/2 a second before the universe came into existence?
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I smell a failed a scientist with a bitter overtone of jealousy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    I smell a failed a scientist with a bitter overtone of jealousy.

I smell a god-botherer resentful of any contradiction to his beliefs. It's a bad state when the first line of defence is attack.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he assuming that the law was there before matter? Or that the law came into being at the same time as matter, as an inevitable consequence? Or that matter came first, then gravity?
    That report is extremely garbled, and says nothing that could either confirm or deny the existence of a creator definitively.
    Status quo - we can't ultimately know either way.
    Will read it.
  • Options
    thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Hawking is right,But some religious people will be upset by this. but sometimes religious people think atheist are bad people why is that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skolastyka wrote: »
    I smell a god-botherer resentful of any contradiction to his beliefs. It's a bad state when the first line of defence is attack.
    It's almost as if his disability is some sort of gimmick, operating as a reason to rubbish his science.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    thelostone wrote: »
    Stephen Hawking is right,But some religious people will be upset by this. but sometimes religious people think atheist are bad people why is that?

Because they reject 'God' i would assume.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skolastyka wrote: »

I'm not religious at all, but I get tired of the amount of media attention given to this man. Is he a genius? Who says?
This discussion has been closed.