Options

SyCo haven't got a clue what to do with male winners!

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
Anyone agree? They never seem to know what direction to send anyone in and usually get it completely wrong! I'd say Shayne Ward's second album was the best effort they ever put out, but they switched things up completely for the third one (and waited YEARS between them!) for no reason and made a boring as hell album..... Joe should've gone in a similar direction to Shayne's second album too - contemporary, young and fresh, but instead they turned him in to the new Mika/Scissor Sisters, presumably because he's gay... :rolleyes:

And let's not even talk about Steve Brookstein or Leon Jackson!

If they didn't know what to do with such marketable popstars as Shayne Ward and Joe McElderry got knows how they're gonna screw up with Matt Cardle, who's little more than a very good pub singer. I give him 1 album.

Comments

• Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Joe got no advertising for any of his songs... I think he should just tell them that he needs advertising
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    Men just aren't as marketable as women.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's not about syco, it's just that as a male artist you require a modicum of credibility to survive, so winning x factor is the wrong place to start. That sort of thing matters less with female acts.

Matt's career trajectory was set on a steep downward slope the moment they called his name out as winner. It'll take a massive effort, or a genuinely surprisingly great album to turn that round.

Essentially his audience, like those you mentioned who went before him, is the wrong audience;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Hell right! that's why Matt is heading to floppage town where we have Leon and Joe as residents already
  • Options
    Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another thread to keep Rebecca fans entertained.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    Hell right! that's why Matt is heading to floppage town where we have Leon and Joe as residents already

Not to mention Brookstein, and it seems poor Shayne Ward will be there too soon. At least Matt won't be alone.

:)
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I strongly disagree, I think Syco now know exactly what to do with male winners. They've learnt from their mistakes over the years.

They now know that the best plan of action is to record an album on the cheap, and then quietly drop them just as soon as next years X Factor comes along to distract people.
  • Options
    IsItThatDeepIsItThatDeep Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batman. wrote: »
    Men just aren't as marketable as women.

They can be, but they have to have something distinct which makes them stand out from others, unfortunately none of the male X Factor winners have had that special something which makes them non-generic.
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    They can be, but they have to have something distinct which makes them stand out from others, unfortunately none of the male X Factor winners have had that special something which makes them non-generic.

Yes, they can be, but most of the time it is just easier to market women. It's just how the music industry works.
  • Options
    IsItThatDeepIsItThatDeep Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batman. wrote: »
    Yes, they can be, but most of the time it is just easier to market women. It's just how the music industry works.

True, but I'm sure I read somewhere that women/girls buy more music/CD's than men.
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really agree here. X Factor has only really found 2 stars (in terms of winners) in Leona and Alexandra. They just happen to be young, pretty girls with amazing voices. Looking at the list of contestants for all the other years, there were no obvious stars there, whoever won in these years would have flopped in the same way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrellis33 wrote: »
    X Factor has only really found 2 stars (in terms of winners) in Leona and Alexandra.

I somewhat agree, Leon was never going to be a big star. Shane could have though, his career has been mismanaged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    donbon wrote: »
    Shane could have though, his career has been mismanaged.

Poor Shayne. IMO, he was a lot more marketable than Cardle.
  • Options
    tommygunnertommygunner Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree. Shayne has looks and star quality. Cardle has neither.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people overdo the whole 'male winners are doomed' stuff. Shayne (a male winner) started out well but his career floundered seemingly due to gross mismanagement. In this regard Alex is still untested, her only album so far was released when she was still the reigning champ. She'll be releasing album no.2 further away from her win, and into a market that is highly competitive for solo female RnB/Pop/Dance records.

And as much as she is the standout example of success from the show, the performance of Leona's 2nd album wasn't a patch on her first. While she was more resilient to it, I'd say arguably she suffered mismanagement, much the same as Shayne. SyCo got lazy and just tried for a rehash of her first album, then when it didn't explode out the gate like Spirit then just seemed to give up without a fight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrellis33 wrote: »
    Looking at the list of contestants for all the other years, there were no obvious stars there, whoever won in these years would have flopped in the same way.

Like Rhydian.

Infinitely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agree. Shayne has looks and star quality. Cardle has neither.

Proof, if proof were needed:

Shayne: http://www.malextra.com/images/s/shayne-ward-vest.jpg

Cardle: http://www.remotepatrolled.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Matt-Cardle-X-Factor.png

Funny how a white vest can look so different depending on who is wearing it... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And as much as she is the standout example of success from the show, the performance of Leona's 2nd album wasn't a patch on her first. While she was more resilient to it, I'd say arguably she suffered mismanagement, much the same as Shayne. SyCo got lazy and just tried for a rehash of her first album, then when it didn't explode out the gate like Spirit then just seemed to give up without a fight.

I don't know what possessed them to release that Happy dirge as the lead single.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Rhydian.

Infinitely.

Not sure what you mean re Rhydian. If you mean that he has flopped I would challange that. He has had a double plat album a sell out UK and ROI tour (24 gigs or there abouts) and a gold album, which was a great acheivement considering that it was a classical detour (which I hope is over :) ), just finished War of the Worlds., will be in We Will Rock You next year and is going to be working on his third album - as well as a smattering of gigs.
  • Options
    rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cardle: http://www.remotepatrolled.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Matt-Cardle-X-Factor.png

Funny how a white vest can look so different depending on who is wearing it... ;)

lol thats funny :D
  • Options
    pixiepiepixiepie Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also funny how the eye can see things differently.

Personally I think they both look good, but then again I generally don't see the need to be unnecessarily cruel
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pixiepie wrote: »
    Also funny how the eye can see things differently.

Personally I think they both look good, but then again I generally don't see the need to be unnecessarily cruel

Strange phenomenum isn't it?
  • Options
    pixiepiepixiepie Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Strange phenomenum isn't it?

It is indeed :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Male winners are doomed on XF for the same reason they are on AI. Most of the voters that get them to the win are females, who vote for them en masse because they fancy them, then forget about them the minute the season ends. I'm sure there are exceptions and some really do enjoy the music, but history shows that the overwhelming majority of them will not support them by purchasing their CDs. Poor Lee DeWyze :cry:

At least the teens will buy the CDs. If they cared about CD sales, they would target the shows to a younger audience, but the producers only care about ratings, and the older crowd has proven they will tune in...they just won't purchase music :(
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction would have massively more sales over Matt, despite coming 3rd. Fact.

Rebecca has much more chance of making it as a top star. Fact. Providing she gets chance to work with good songwriters and producers...

Matt isn't distinctive enough to make it on his own. Fact. In his band, maybe...