Options

The Shrien Dewani Trial

Comments

• Options
    elbraddoelbraddo Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lane99 wrote: »
    Any of those other cases also have the perpetrator receiving no proceeds at all from the "robbery" until, a couple days later, he goes to visit the "victim" and is warmly greeted with a hug and kiss, and discretely handed an envelope containing money and a thank you card?

So you're admitting that there was a "thank you" card in the bag? Good. Progress.

As I said earlier, the guilters are falling apart at the seams. They can't agree on who's to blame for Dewani's stitch-up, and they're now making admissions that Tongo perjured himself on the stand (remember; Tongo tried to claim that there wasn't a "thank you" card in the bag he was holding by the handles......)

Lulz again! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lane99 wrote: »
    121,392 to 1: So that's how William Hill set the odds against Dewani being innocent

Any of those other cases also have the perpetrator receiving no proceeds at all from the "robbery" until, a couple days later, he goes to visit the "victim" and is warmly greeted with a hug and kiss, and discretely handed an envelope containing money and a thank you card?

Disingenuity. Such a common theme in your posts, lane.

Who said anything about setting odds? I just mentioned that there were 121,392 "prequels" of aggravated robberies.

As to the latter part of your post: naturally the circumstances in each one differ on many aspects.

Some benefit materially from their crimes. Some don't.
    Some get caught mid crime. Some don't.
    Some robberies go to plan. Some don't.
    Some perps end up being arrested. Some aren't.
    Some are tried. Some aren't.
    Some come clean and admit their mistakes, and go on to lead good lives after paying their debt to society.
    Some pretend to come clean and have remorse so Judges go easy on them - and then re-offend and commit even more serious crimes.

What is your point? Are you honestly trying to contend that all aspects of the Rodrigues taxi hitman case exactly mirror the Dewani case? or are you just selectively considering the solitary aspect that suits your argument (the fact that a taxi driver played a role) and conveniently ignoring everything else?
  • Options
    JeeeezzzJeeeezzz Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elbraddo wrote: »
    Disingenuity. Such a common theme in your posts, lane.

Who said anything about setting odds? I just mentioned that there were 121,392 "prequels" of aggravated robberies.

As to the latter part of your post: naturally the circumstances in each one differ on many aspects.

Some benefit materially from their crimes. Some don't.
    Some get caught mid crime. Some don't.
    Some robberies go to plan. Some don't.
    Some perps end up being arrested. Some aren't.
    Some are tried. Some aren't.
    Some come clean and admit their mistakes, and go on to lead good lives after paying their debt to society.
    Some pretend to come clean and have remorse so Judges go easy on them - and then re-offend and commit even more serious crimes.

What is your point? Are you honestly trying to contend that all aspects of the Rodrigues taxi hitman case exactly mirror the Dewani case? or are you just selectively considering the solitary aspect that suits your argument (the fact that a taxi driver played a role) and conveniently ignoring everything else?

Lane / justice4anni etc like grouping things together for effect. It's an attempt to persuade those with a passing interest that there are inherent similarities between cases with the nasty perpetrators continuing to evade justice. They, however, will continue their righteous fight against them all!!

There are twitter entries labelled #Pistorius #Panayiotou #Dewani with sarcastic addendum implying that defenders of Dewani will also defend, for example, Panayiotou. A cheap trick by a lazy and malicious group who don't have the stomach for reasoned debate. It might win over a few level 1 thinkers, or those too lazy to begin to research the facts but that's about it.

Edit: Here's the latest tweet from the lane99 / j4a twitter feed:-

'Thank goodness Jeanette Traverso was not the judge in the Dina Rodriques murder trial. She would have bought Rodrigues' story.'

This perfectly illustrates the point made above and also the level of thinking of the author. A cheap soundbite loaded with unsubstantiated accusation. Implication is that Traverso in some way 'bought' Dewani's story. See the problem? Traverso didn't even hear Dewani's story - she only heard the testimony of his accusers which was sufficient for her to determine that Dewani wasn't even required to give his story; there was nothing for him to answer to.

Be careful where you source your information, lane....it's making you look foolish by association.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Some curious stuff on twitter, indeed!

It appears that j4a like to accuse anyone who disagrees with them of being a "sock puppet" of Shrien Dewani's. Nothing new there, I suppose.

And then we have old mate Lane, parroting whatever misinformation j4a spits out, and preaching it as gospel. Seems pretty clear to me, who the "sock puppet" is........

Lulz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mbolombo allegedly told that he WON'T be prosecuted. Geez (not jeeezzz), now I wonder why that might be?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3131021/Mastermind-murder-Anni-Dewani-escapes-justice-despite-admitting-charge-plot-kill-her.html

And the j4a brigade still don't give a hoot about Monde and continue to prattle on about the innocent guy "getting away with murder".....

Shambolic.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Mbolombo allegedly told that he WON'T be prosecuted. Geez (not jeeezzz), now I wonder why that might be?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3131021/Mastermind-murder-Anni-Dewani-escapes-justice-despite-admitting-charge-plot-kill-her.html

And the j4a brigade still don't give a hoot about Monde and continue to prattle on about the innocent guy "getting away with murder".....

Shambolic.

'Curiouser and curiouser!' :o:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's curious indeed, Bri, but it's not unexpected. The NPA were always going to do their best to bury this whole malicious Dewani prosecution. The very last thing they need/want is for Mbolombo to get up in a Court and tell a Judge that this entire "hit" story was put in his mouth by the SAPS and the NPA who told him it was his only hope of a prison-free life, and that he'd gone along with it because he didn't want to go to jail.

Mbolombo coming clean would be a nightmare for everyone involved, including Mbolombo. - Tongo and Qwabe would come back under the spotlight, and there'd be pressure to prosecute them for their perjury and revisit their plea deals, that turned out to be based on fiction.

- Tongo would then be forced to finally admit that this "hit" story was something he only went along with because he wanted to be out of prison in his 30's not his 50's.

- Qwabe would then have to admit that he was the one who came up with the "hit" story on the day of his arrest, when he cleverly realised that it was his only hope of salvaging the latter half of his life, and he even managed to falsely pin the shooting on Mngeni.

- then SAPS and the NPA would be in the firing line, and so it would go on......

Even Judge Henney would come under scrutiny for his dubious handling of the Mngeni trial.

I can't remember which documentary quoted a guy saying that plea deals place immense pressure on the entire system down the line,but it's a very cogent point. You'd be hard pressed to find a clearer illustration of what a mess transpires when a Court rubber stamp a plea bargain in 42 minutes without checking the key facts upon which it's based.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decent analysis of why there is little desire to prosecute Mbolombo, elbraddo. The very fact that Mbolombo no-longer enjoys immunity, but still hasn't been prosecuted, should be ringing alarm bells with anyone who bought into the hit story.

Traverso did her bit and retracted his protection to which she should be commended. Thank goodness for a robust judge in an independent judiciary. She's put NPA in a very awkward spot - not prosecuting Mbolombo is tantamount to admittance that SAPS and NPA were complicit in framing Shrien Dewani. Prosecuting him will reveal the same. It's a lose lose situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shambolic.

This article just piggybacks off a second Daily Mirror article (referred to in the piece) where it's reported that:-

'It is thought South Africa’s National Prosecuting Authority will announce its decision soon.'

then that:-

'Prosecutor Adrian Mopp allegedly phoned Mbolombo two days after the trial in December to tell him that he would never be charged.'

So which is it? Hopefully the former. As if Mopp would be calling Monde two days after trial to advise him he was in the clear whilst his superiors were still considering their options.

It's quite shameful that Vinod Hindocha has not heard a peep out of NPA since the trial. Surely they should have been updating him on developments with regards to prosecuting the remaining perpetrator at large. Would be a tricky telephone call though:-

"We've decided not to prosecute him because..."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to hear a guilter try to proffer an explanation as to why they think the NPA might decline to prosecute Mbolombo.

I doubt hopeless case, agent butternut, lane99 et al would be up to the task!

Why don't you have a crack at it Agent Jeezzzzzzz? Put on your guilter hat and let me know if you can think of any conceivable reason, other than the one I've outlined in my post.

I can't think of any.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would love to hear a guilter try to proffer an explanation as to why they think the NPA might decline to prosecute Mbolombo.

Why don't you have a crack at it Agent Jeezzzzzzz? Put on your guilter hat and let me know if you can think of any conceivable reason, other than the one I've outlined in my post.

Guilter hat on – Monde should be spared on compassionate grounds. It would be ethically unjust to prosecute him. Racked with guilt and remorse he's living a torturous existence under the repressive weight of his heavy heart. He's intent on setting up a charity to help surviving spouses of violent crime but will bear the burden of his actions for the rest of his days. Monde breaking down in tears between court sessions had nothing to with the realisation that his immunity would likely be retracted, it was in fact a spontaneous outpouring of emotion, having finally delivered a full and frank soul-nourishing confession. A truly humble and selfless man clearly haunted by the person he once was. This itself is punishment enough. Prosecuting Mbolombo would deny society the benefit of a generations worth of reparatory contributions from this noble gentleman.

What do I think – NPA will cite insufficient evidence. My understanding is that any proceedings against him would need to be started "de novo" and anything Mbolombo has previously said in court can't be used against him. Unless SAPS have used the last 6 months to conduct a fresh investigation, entirely against their own interests, NPA may only be able to review the previous docket to make their decision. Bearing in mind Mbolombo was probably only investigated for a few days up until his second confession (the one where he changed his story to implicate Shrien) that docket is going to be piss poor. Plus any prosecution would need to rely on the witness testimony of serial liars Tongo and Qwabe, whose credibility is at an all time low, and would likely show little interest unless further incentivised.
  • Options
    agent butternutagent butternut Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because the same lack of evidence exists in the cases against Dewani and Mbolombo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disingenuous. Mbolombo has admitted to playing a key role in the operation.

He was also caught perjuring himself multiple times in multiple trials.

There is plenty of evidence to convict him of serious crimes.

Any decision not to do so, is an insult to the Hindochas, an insult to Anni, an insult to the Dewanis, and made purely out of self interest by an NPA who just wants this case to go away. For obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disingenuous. Mbolombo has admitted to playing a key role in the operation.

He was also caught perjuring himself multiple times in multiple trials.

There is plenty of evidence to convict him of serious crimes.

Any decision not to do so, is an insult to the Hindochas, an insult to Anni, an insult to the Dewanis, and made purely out of self interest by an NPA who just wants this case to go away. For obvious reasons.

Please try to wrap your head around the concept of 'evidence'.

At this stage Dewani is as innocent as the next guy on the reception desk of another hotel a few kilometres away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The concept of family and friend agents ("the victim was wonderful and will be so missed") is anti-justice. It prioritises lives, very odd.

What if the victim were an orphan? No family? No friends, advocates?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please try to wrap your head around the concept of 'evidence'.

Quote of the year! From a guilter too!!

Judge Traverso saw enough evidence of perjury to retract Mbolombo's indemnity.

It's an insult to the South African people if the NPA choose not to prosecute a guy who perjured himself in multiple trials and attempted to pervert the course of justice. Surely as a SA citizen you agree with that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The concept of family and friend agents ("the victim was wonderful and will be so missed") is anti-justice. It prioritises lives, very odd.

What if the victim were an orphan? No family? No friends, advocates?

I'm not sure how these comments fit within the current discussion, but I agree 100%. The State owes it to all citizens, to ensure that victims of all types have their rights advocated.

It's probably a thread in its own right. In the context of Anni's murder, there have been many victims whose rights have been forgotten. The most notable is Shrien Dewani. A man who was cleared of having any involvement in the crime, yet has been subjected to relentless persecution and victimisation by some quarters of society, despite no credible evidence linking him to the crime.

Then there's the Hindocha family. Misled and victimised by the NPA, and essentially tricked into approving the granting of immunity to a lying criminal who played a key role in the death of their family member. I could write 20 pages listing all the victims in this case, and it would end with the South African public at large who remain victims of the NPA, so long as the NPA refuses to prosecute Mbolombo.

The real.problem in this case lies with people who like to victimise the "rich guy" with no basis and who then try to pretend that they care about all victims. Know what I mean? A case in point would be people who described Shrien Dewani as "whining" because they didn't like the sound of his voice whilst being interviewed in the wake of his bride's murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the same lack of evidence exists in the cases against Dewani and Mbolombo.

Have to agree, in as far as there is no evidence of either arranging a contract murder, but I doubt that's what you meant ;-)

The hit story can't and won't be pursued any further. It's whether they can come up with a satisfactory reason not to prosecute him for the more achievable charges related to conspiracy to rob and the unfortunate consequences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....and the perjury. Declining to prosecute perjurers in a case as high profile as this one, sends out a terrible message to the public. It essentially says "the law isn't really that sacred. Telling lies in court isn't really that big a deal. And if you do lie to courts to save your own skin, then.....well....we (the NPA) understand. Prison sucks and you don't wanna be there. So here; have a free pass. And tell all your criminal mates too so they know they've got nothing to lose by trying a few lies when testifying under oath."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope this is not going to follow the same old formula...

- Family want answers.
    - Family expect coroner / lawyer to ask certain types of questions.
    - Family disappointed that said questions are not asked / are not relevant.
    - Dewani advised he doesn't need to answer anything. If he doesn't, others infer guilt. If he does, they say he's had time to rehearse.
    - Family feel the system has failed them again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, about this:-

Mr Hindocha said he was considering bringing a private prosecution against Mr Dewani, but decided against it because his family felt it would 're-open too many wounds'.

Whilst wanting to remain respectful towards the family, I suspect they have in fact been advised in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't stand a cat in hells chance of securing a conviction on a balance of probabilities, or any other standard of proof, and that's the main reason they won't bring a private prosecution.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    would be v interesting to what people think about Steven Avery...

If you have not seen "making a murderer" and were interested in this thread/debate about the Anni killing/tragedy, you Must (!) watch MAM - amazing viewing..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well there's a thread subscription notification I didn't expect to see in my inbox!! The old "Shrien dewani trial" thread on dspy!

How are you Mr Maths? How's life in the mathematical lane? Looks like the thread has all but died and you've revived it!

How are my old buddies hopeless and butternut doing these days? Still trying to lynch old mate Shrien and defend the 3 liars? And my darling Claire? Javed? Neelia?

justice4anni website seems like its decommissioned now. Can't remember if that happened before or after the trial. Anyone remember? doesnt seem like there is a new facebook page either. Seems they have disintegrated. Good riddance to a spiteful lynch mob.

Yes Mr Maths, I watched "Making a murderer". Similarities to Dewani case in the way the police focused in on the wrong people and tried to make the evidence fit around the prosecution of the guy they wanted to frame. Sad for Avery that they managed to do so. I think he will probably get out of jail but not for a while

Agent jeeeezzzz seems to have nailed it with his last few posts. Mbolombo non prosecution an utter disgrace and that inquest falling as flat as both jeeeezzz and I predicted it would.

Wonder how all the fools in SA feel now that they realise they were duped by the 3 criminal liars as well as their police force liars and judicial liars? Must be hard admitting that their system got it so totally wrong and made gooses of themselves in front of the world. And letting the real criminals get drasticly reduced sentences for as a prize for their lying. Tongo gets out in a few years! The greediest most culpable liar of them all - the one who drove Anni into the hands of the men who ended up killing her - and the system is gonna give him another chance as a way of saying "thank you" for the lies he told to try to incriminate Dewani.

What. A. Debacle.

I now think about this case and really wonder why it caused so much debate in the first place. Tongo's claims were ridiculously improbable from the get go. (a man walks off a plane and asks first taxi driver to commit a murder). So you have a highly highly highly improbable claim.

The only way that Tongo's story could possibly be believed is if there was strong evidence to underwrite it. Strong incontrovertible solid evidence.

Instead of that, we saw a contradictory dogs breakfast of evidence where nothing made sense and the criminals made up communications that never happened to try to frame their victim, and they were caught lying to the courts on multiple occasions.

That's the end of the story right there.

Highly improbable claims + witnesses caught in a mass of lies = bullshit story.

Thanks and goodnight. why did people believe SD did it? Because of the media hysteria over envelope cctv footage and that the criminals let him go, and the bisexual factors that showed SD to be a not so nice guy. And so many fools were duped by this non-evidence and chose to instead believe Tongo's make believe fairytale.

Incredible!