Options

Bouquet of Barbed Wire ITV 1

pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Starts tonight.
I am old enough to remember the original.
Didn't really fancy the idea of a remake but will watch it cos Trevor Eve is in it..and he is a true star (of TV anyway)

Comments

• Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan Penhaligon was one of my first loves in the original
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starts tonight.
    I am old enough to remember the original.
    Didn't really fancy the idea of a remake but will watch it cos Trevor Eve is in it..and he is a true star (of TV anyway)

Me too. I loved this, it was so moody and powerful, ahead of its time and I'd never seen anything like it before - it certainly opened my 14 year old eyes back then! Was some of the early series in black and white? That's how I remember it and that added to the atmosphere and intensity.

I never understood why it wasn't repeated as it would have stood up just as well today. I'll be interested to see what they've done with it though. Anything with Trev in is usually pretty good (although I don't think he could possibly be as creepy as Frank Finley) and if it works it'll make for some great viewing. :)
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this too. I watched it as a teenage girl and it certainly opened my eyes to the daughter/dad thing. It seriously disturbed me.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I'll try to watch it on ITV player :)
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently bought the box set (including 'Another Bouquet' ) and have already watched the whole thing three times. Although it dragged in places I can't see how the new series is going to squeeze everything into just 3 episodes.

I will give it a go although obviously it's not going to have the same impact as the original.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the box set out of curiousity more than anything else (I wasn't even born when it was first broascast)

Very ground breaking series and yes, you can see that it was ahead of its time. Very daring series for 1976.

As far as the remake goes, I'll watch and hope that ITV can relive some of its old magic. Hoping for best, but fearing the worst.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the box set out of curiousity more than anything else (I wasn't even born when it was first broascast)

Very ground breaking series and yes, you can see that it was ahead of its time. Very daring series for 1976.

As far as the remake goes, I'll watch and hope that ITV can relive some of its old magic. Hoping for best, but fearing the worst.

I'd say it was very much of its time, when did a drama series last cause as much ho-harr as Barbed Wire, The Borgias, I Claudius, the Naked Civil Servant etc?

I was too young for the original but I'll give this a spin, hopefully they have not jettisoned all the permutations
    that made it so notorious!
  • Options
    ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching the repeats in the 80s...I don't think it's been shown since.:confused:

Got me to thinking...wouldn't this be an ideal time to remake "Man At The Top"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never watched the original, although I know of it. I will watch it tonight as I like Trevor Eve and think he's a good actor - although don't think I've actually watched him in anything since Shoestring! :o (which I loved) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing clips of the original on some Channel 4 'Sex on TV' thing a few years back. It was unadulterated filth!! Of the extremely close-up bare-bosomed nipples being licked and sucked variety. Viva the 70s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always interesting to see if a remake works or not. Good cast etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this about incest can someone tell me? For some reason I think it is? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    How much sex is in this? Serious question.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Is this about incest can someone tell me? For some reason I think it is? :confused:

I believe that although there is no explicit incestuous activity, an incestuous tone in the father/daughter relationship is implies.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I think it's suggested rather than explicit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I believe that although there is no explicit incestuous activity, an incestuous tone in the father/daughter relationship is implies.

Thanks, I thought so. I always find it a bit weird when a grown adult calls their father 'DADDY' :o

The noodles scene wasn't too attractive to watch! :eek:
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I can't comment too much on the content so far, but presentation-wise it's very nice by ITV standards. It looks more likea movie than an ITV drama to be honest.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, the father and daughter very much have a suggested incestuous relationship. Infact, their entire behaviour with other people really revolves around the dark fantacies that they have for one another.

Which is why I say it was a VERY daring series for 1976. It wasn't daring because of graphic sexual content, but rather from the pretty depraved subject matter.
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand a word the boyfriend says, so I missed all the important stuff in the last scene! Anyone else find his murmuring really hard to follow?
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see the original but it was on before I was born and i've yet to see it repeated.
    I like Trevor Eve , he's the sexy older man:o ! Prue's boyf is horrible so far and she seems a bit drippy..
    They should have had an older actress playing her mum.
  • Options
    alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trevor Eve - woof - end of!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trevor Eve - woof - end of!

:D:D That made me laugh so much! :p

If it was back in his Shoestring days I'd be very much inclined to agree! :o;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    I'd love to see the original but it was on before I was born and i've yet to see it repeated.
    I like Trevor Eve , he's the sexy older man:o ! Prue's boyf is horrible so far and she seems a bit drippy..
    They should have had an older actress playing her mum.

I think I agree with all you say here - particularly the fact that Hermione Norris doesn't look a day over 40 - and could easily pass for someone in their mid 30s!
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prue in the original series was a spoilt brat most of the time, in fact all the characters had their dubious points but you still sort of liked them
    even Gavin, who Prue wound up so much he ended up beating her senseless

The characters this time round seem much more simplified, less shades of grey, but I suppose it's a shorter series and broader strokes are used.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I can see this getting 8+ million viewers in the ratings tomorrow. :o