Options

An eight year old has killed himself after watching a Tom Cruise movie

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What kind of parent lets their eight year old watch a 15 rated movie?

Boy of eight hanged himself after he saw samurai film

Comments

• Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member

Very sad but I think he must have had some deeper underlying problems.

But as you said, the parents are responsible.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I imagine there's a heap of parents out there that will let their any age child watch any age film as long as it keeps them quiet ...

Only glanced over this story, sounds like more of the whole movies/games are driving our kids to kill people (themselves in this case). I've no time for it !

I do often wonder how many people on this site reads the daily mail online ...
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A fair few, I'd imagine.

I was allowed to watch/play 15 and 18 certificated films and games long before I was that age but I was never stupid enough to re-enact them.

Besides, unless i'm very much mistaken, the way in which this boy killed himself (hanging isn't even depicted in The Last Samurai so I can hardly see how this film is to blame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    The film doesn't even feature any hangings:rolleyes:. Yet more hilariously poor reporting from the Daily Mail in an effort to perpetuate their sensationalist agenda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think it's the parents fault for letting him watch such a movie.

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'll stick with the thread in movies ....
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame scientology. For everything.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I'll stick with the thread in movies ....

Well you obviously haven't done, or you wouldn't have posted here!:p
  • Options
    Jamsey123Jamsey123 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Has a daily mail journalist taken a storey ou of coxtext?
    Yes, ofcouse as usual.

Nobody hangs themselves in any of the movies he owns, but the one movie he owns with any suicides, the samauri movie, only features people stabbing themselves (typical japanese ritual suicide)

The daily mail just want to further the believe that games and movies lead to serious violence and actions.
    Yes they influence people to some extent but the belief that a movie, by itself could influence anyone to commit suicide, even an eight year old, is completely ludicrous.

As someone in the dailymail comments said, I have been playing gta since I was about ten, I have never commited any of the many, many crimes fetured in that game and displayed as normal.

They could obviously influence those with mental challenges whose parents would obviously be taking more care anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with being impressionable and imaginative after watching a movie, but it's down to the parents over what their children should be allowed to watch. The ratings are there for a reason and The Last Samurai is a 15 for a reason. It would also be wrong for anyone to blame the film itself. Films are not written or made to encourage actions like this.
  • Options
    mad_will123mad_will123 Posts: 123
    Forum Member

I have also had suicidal tendencies after watching anything with Tom Cruise in it!

On a serious note, it is a tragedy that anybody, adolescent or not, should feel that way after watching a film, regardless of age ( I watched some shit when I was young), I think that things are not all that they seem.

ETA: SCUM Was a bloody nasty film when I was young
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iirc, the suicides in the Last Samurai are of the falling on their swords variety, not hanging. More Daily Mail bollocks.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the child died because of watching a Tom Cruise movie, then what other films or entertainment would have done so?...

Frankly, this type of story harks back to the Mary Whitehouse years, and that woman blathering on that Tom and Jerry cartoons would turn kids into homicidal maniacs.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    It's really the only appropriate response to seeing The Last Samurai.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Was expecting hari kiri.

Anyway is it really suicide when you don't intend to do it? I thought they called that "death by misadventure". Even the Mail doesn't say it was suicide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    Was expecting hari kiri.

Anyway is it really suicide when you don't intend to do it? I thought they called that "death by misadventure". Even the Mail doesn't say it was suicide.

He's killed himself, so I would consider suicide. I know the boy was only eight but he surely knew that tying a rope around his neck was dangerous, at least I did when I was eight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't blame the movie, blame the parents.

Btw, my 7 year old niece watched Scream which is an 18 and she wasn't even scared lol

The DM talking royal crap again...
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I think it's rather sad that the kid has died and it's, apparently, being dismissed as "movie related" when there may be totally unrelated factors involved.

Perhaps, for example, he was sick of hearing his mum and dad arguing or perhaps he was sick of his brother picking on him but let's all tell ourselves that it was Tom Cruises fault, eh?
    Saves us having to look at any less pleasant possibilities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    He's killed himself, so I would consider suicide. I know the boy was only eight but he surely knew that tying a rope around his neck was dangerous, at least I did when I was eight.

It's only recorded as suicide if there was a note, usually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Blaming a movie for the actions of a child or young adult?
    How quaintly 1990s. I thought the fad these days was to blame videogames.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blaming a movie for the actions of a child or young adult?
    How quaintly 1990s. I thought the fad these days was to blame videogames.

Keep up. It's social networking sites now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    Keep up. It's social networking sites now.

Oh that's right, that's the new source of the world's evils.
    Even though both the police and the general public used these sites to effectively track down and arrest the rioters and looters but hey let's not let fact get in the way of political rhetoric!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    It's only recorded as suicide if there was a note, usually.

Not just if there was a note but if it is proved that the person intended to take their own life, that it wasn't someone messing around or a cry for help.

Something like the 8yr old's death would likely be recoreded as missadventure
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamsey123 wrote: »
    Has a daily mail journalist taken a storey ou of coxtext?
    Yes, ofcouse as usual.

Nobody hangs themselves in any of the movies he owns, but the one movie he owns with any suicides, the samauri movie, only features people stabbing themselves (typical japanese ritual suicide)

The daily mail just want to further the believe that games and movies lead to serious violence and actions.
    Yes they influence people to some extent but the belief that a movie, by itself could influence anyone to commit suicide, even an eight year old, is completely ludicrous.

As someone in the dailymail comments said, I have been playing gta since I was about ten, I have never commited any of the many, many crimes fetured in that game and displayed as normal.

They could obviously influence those with mental challenges whose parents would obviously be taking more care anyway.

That's quite funny really, because I've never played GTA, yet I regularly sell drugs, murder people, have sex with prostitutes, steal cars and blow up buildings.
    It must be all those Doris Day musicals that I watch.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I somehow doubt it even crossed my mind at that age, your mind is a scramble of wanting candy and video games at that age. I think he just wanted to "see" what it was like to choke yourself or something and went too far.

Second possibility is the auto erotic asphyxia. But I don't know if kids start masturbating that early, seems too soon, but these days who knows.