Things to do in Manchester

kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello! I'll be in Manchester on the 3rd and 4th of March and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do? I'm busy until about 4pm, but I'm not sure what to do to fill my free time in the evenings!

Any ideas are welcomed :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Hello! I'll be in Manchester on the 3rd and 4th of March and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do? I'm busy until about 4pm, but I'm not sure what to do to fill my free time in the evenings!

Lots - but will get a free plug in for my mate's new restaurant - Red's True BBQ on George Street which opens this week. Well, as long as you're not a veggie :D

Do you like football? I enjoyed the National Football Museum at Urbis in the city centre. The Museum of Science & Industry is really good too.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Red's True BBQ on George Street ...

That's another one for me to check out, ta!

ETA - just done a Google and the Manc. one is on Lloyd Street, apparently...

Hit the Northern Quarter, see some random bands at the Night & Day Cafe... or check out who's playing at the Academy or Hop & Grape...
    There's also fringe theatre, comedy clubs, cinemas... I dunno, what sort of stuff do you like doing?
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots - but will get a free plug in for my mate's new restaurant - Red's True BBQ on George Street which opens this week. Well, as long as you're not a veggie :D

Do you like football? I enjoyed the National Football Museum at Urbis in the city centre. The Museum of Science & Industry is really good too.

Love the smell of BBQ! I was trying going full veggie, but I'm not sticking to it, so meat will do nicely :D Good luck to your mate! Not keen on footie but the science and industry museum sounds right up my street! x
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Hit the Northern Quarter, see some random bands at the Night & Day Cafe... or check out who's playing at the Academy or Hop & Grape...
    There's also fringe theatre, comedy clubs, cinemas... I dunno, what sort of stuff do you like doing?

I'm open to most things really! It has been about 8 years since I last went (that was for a Rammstein concert though!), so not too fussed as long as it's a good experience. Love music, art, history, museums, architecture etc. Coffee and cake are high up on my list too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...but the science and industry museum sounds right up my street! x

It's only open until 5pm so you'll have to be quick...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only open until 5pm so you'll have to be quick...

I might be able to fit it in on the Monday if I keep an eye on the clock!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's another one for me to check out, ta!

ETA - just done a Google and the Manc. one is on Lloyd Street, apparently...

Sorry, I stand corrected. I'm shit at advertising, me. But it really is great.

I was at Night & Day - smack in the middle of the funky Northern Quarter - on Saturday afternoon and it's a wonderful spot to sit by the window & people-watch. There's likely to be a great band on too and it's not necessarily a bar either - it's a good place to have sober drinks (as I did on Sat).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the smell of BBQ! I was trying going full veggie, but I'm not sticking to it, so meat will do nicely :D Good luck to your mate! Not keen on footie but the science and industry museum sounds right up my street! x

Thanks - it's his second restaurant, they have the original Reds in Leeds and it's been a raging success. Apparently a 3rd one is being mooted for Notts/Sheffield :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - it's his second restaurant, they have the original Reds in Leeds and it's been a raging success. Apparently a 3rd one is being mooted for Notts/Sheffield :)

Sort out some sort of passcode so we get mates rates ;) lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sort out some sort of passcode so we get mates rates ;) lol

I'll second that idea! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even his family gets a discount!!
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first thing to do.........

Buy a brolly, it's been chucking it down recently
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even his family gets a discount!!

That's why he's doing well ;)
    callmediva wrote: »

Considering the winds we've also been getting it might be wiser to just show up in waterproofs :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »

Considering the winds we've also been getting it might be wiser to just show up in waterproofs :D

Rain and wind are the two things I'm very well prepared for :D I live in the northern isles and work outside in all weather lol :D
  • AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gay village! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're thinking museums then the John Rylands Special Collection Library on Deansgate is well worth checking out... I think anyone can go in and have a wander around the exhibitions but tours and book viewings have to be pre-booked... having said that, you've time to look into it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're thinking museums then the John Rylands Special Collection Library on Deansgate is well worth checking out... I think anyone can go in and have a wander around the exhibitions but tours and book viewings have to be pre-booked... having said that, you've time to look into it...

That sounds utterly fabulous. I will look that up tomorrow! Don't think the gay village is really my scene though :D
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking at that place recently. It looks like unhealthy food at expensive prices - the donut burger for example.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJ Wheels wrote: »
    Gay village! ;)

It's not the place it used to be.

I'm not gay but I used to enjoy a night out there occasionally with my friends. It was different and used to be a good atmosphere. Nowadays however it's quite a violent place and muggings aren't uncommon either.

I tend to advise people to avoid the village these days. Cheap drink and a lot of idiots have ruined it.

Other places to avoid include the Printworks. Cheap tacky food by day and punch ups by night. Deansgate Locks used to be good, but again has been ruined over the last 12-24 months with increasing violence. It can still be a decent hour to two at the locks if you try Lolalo, but the rest of the bars just seem to have slipped sadly.

Have a look at Spinningfields, Northern Quarter and maybe around Dukes 92 too. All slightly more pricey than the other area, but you're going to have a better night out without any trouble and with a decent crowd.

During the day MOSI is certainly worth a visit. The football museum is only any good if you like football, if not it's a shame the Urbis left for football.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jump on a train to Liverpool and have an amazing night out :D
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    lalaland wrote: »
    It's not the place it used to be.

I'm not gay but I used to enjoy a night out there occasionally with my friends. It was different and used to be a good atmosphere. Nowadays however it's quite a violent place and muggings aren't uncommon either.

I tend to advise people to avoid the village these days. Cheap drink and a lot of idiots have ruined it.

Other places to avoid include the Printworks. Cheap tacky food by day and punch ups by night. Deansgate Locks used to be good, but again has been ruined over the last 12-24 months with increasing violence. It can still be a decent hour to two at the locks if you try Lolalo, but the rest of the bars just seem to have slipped sadly.

Have a look at Spinningfields, Northern Quarter and maybe around Dukes 92 too. All slightly more pricey than the other area, but you're going to have a better night out without any trouble and with a decent crowd.

During the day MOSI is certainly worth a visit. The football museum is only any good if you like football, if not it's a shame the Urbis left for football.

I have to echo a lot of what LALA says, The Village has become a cesspit of people on stag or hen nights thinking they can have a laugh at the expense of homos who frequent the area. It really is like blackpool with the amount of drunken women on hen parties. When I first moved to manchester ten years ago it wasn't anything like that, was busy most nights of the week....now well its a ghost town on any night bar saturday.

The Printworks and Deansgate locks have really gone down hill in recent years (althought the former has never been a good place). Its depressing but there are few places in the city centre where you can enjoy a good night out. Though in fairness the Northern Quarter has plenty to offer during the day and night. Matt and Phreds Jazz Bar on Tib Street, though avoid the Northern just next door that place is always full of smackheads along with The city further up Tib Street.

BArs like Odder, Trof, TV21, Walrus in the northern quarter are very nice places top visit. Common just on the rear Copperas St is a lovely place to relax in the evening. Even the bar at the top of the urbis is very nice expensive but nice.

I would also recommend a trip to Cloud 23 at Beetham Tower aka The Hylton, that will offer views unparalelled for the area. I believe during the week you don't need to pre-book you should be able to go up during the day and evening mid week.

The MOSI and a the police museum are good places to visit. If you would like to venture away from the city centre I suggest a trip to media city, its a wonderful place to walk round during the day and especially during the evening. There is the lowry outlet mall if you want to indulge in some discount shopping, along with the Imperial War Museum if you like your military history. Plenty of restaurants there as well, you can even take a ferry cruise upto liverpool from salford. You can get to it easily from most city centre tram stops. Don't just stay in the city centre, venture out if you can, Manchester and the surrounding areas have a lot more to offer than just a few drinking hideouts in city.

Its a lovely city when you look for the right places, other times its no different to london and is a metropolitan mess.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Affleck's Palace (just off Oldham Street) used to be a great little alternative shopping place, years ago. I don't know what it's like now, but they used to have vintage clothing, bags, record stalls, a couple of cafes, that sort of thing. Anyone know if it's still like that, or has it gone downhill now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Affleck's Palace (just off Oldham Street) used to be a great little alternative shopping place, years ago. I don't know what it's like now, but they used to have vintage clothing, bags, record stalls, a couple of cafes, that sort of thing. Anyone know if it's still like that, or has it gone downhill now?

It's not as good as it used to be and a load of the shops have gone but it's still ticking along. I think it started slipping once it's main rival, the Colosseum, was closed and turned into flats...
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jump on a train to Liverpool and have an amazing night out :D

I realise your aim with this comment ;-) but seriously, I wouldn't recommend travelling in either direction at 4pm which is when the OP is free.

I live in Gtr Mcr and have occasion to travel to Liverpool for work reasons, it gets darned busy whatever route and mode you take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I realise your aim with this comment ;-) but seriously, I wouldn't recommend travelling in either direction at 4pm which is when the OP is free.

I live in Gtr Mcr and have occasion to travel to Liverpool for work reasons, it gets darned busy whatever route and mode you take.

I left Manc. city centre at 4pm last Friday and didn't get home (16 miles away) until 6.30pm thanks to multiple roadworks and accidents. Normally takes 30 mins.

When traffic in Manc gnaws up it really gnaws up...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I had considered the IWM (I'm a bit of a military history nut) but I'll have to really keep an eye on the time! Wish I had time during the day, but I'll be back down again in a few months and will hopefully have more free time :) I'm not a clubber, but a whisky in a jazz bar sounds like bliss :)