Options

Is Niall Horan the most famous Irishman in the world?

124»

Comments

• Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who from the Republic of Ireland is more famous than Niall? I'm talking name / face recognition, and in non-English speaking countries too. Colin Farrell is well known in the US but I don't know how much internationally (his blockbuster movies will have helped). A lot of people may also think he is American. Does Pierce Brosnan pip Niall? Again he has an English accent in the Bond films but is still very famous. Living only please.

Also, who is the most famous Irish woman?

No, in fact who is he?

The most famous Irish man is Bono. D'uh

He's got a daughter called Eve Hewson. She is an actress and has been in a few films, but I think that her mum, Bono's wife Alison Hewson may be more famous. But the most famous woman would be Sinead O'Connor
  • Options
    sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Ok so I've thought of some more and taking suggestions above (thank you)...

For the men, in no particular order we have:

More famous than Niall
    U2
    Daniel O'Donnell
    Daniel Day-Lewis
    Roy Keane
    Van Morrison
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers (I'd put him at less but Tudors was very popular in US)
    Bob Geldof (minimal US success but ok, he's in)
    Pierce Brosnan
    Colin Farrell
    Barry McGuigan
    I'm going to add in Chris de Burgh - not born in Ireland but certainly bred

Maybe as famous as Niall? (taking into account internet famous vs TV/long-term famous)
    Gabriel Byrne
    Cillian Murphy (Batman same fame level as 1D imo)
    Michael Fassbender (X-men same fame level as 1D imo)
    Michael Gambon - gazillions know him from Harry Potter but probably as Dumbledore
    Terry Wogan

I think less famous than Niall:
    Chris O'Dowd - hopefully when his career really takes off he'll shoot up the list
    Westlife & Boyzone & Louis Walsh (no fame in America and fading fast)
    There are lots of comedians e.g. Ed Byrne but I don't think they are famous internationally

And representing the women the very talented:
    Saoirse Ronan
    Sinead O'Connor

[More women suggestions please]

Discounted for being Northern Irish:
    Jamie Dornan
    Liam Neeson
    And I'll do a preemptive James Nesbitt (not that he's very international besides Hobbit) and Kenneth Branagh.

Little Niall hasn't made it onto the wikipedia page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Irish_people

I have heard of everybody on this list except Niall Thingummy. I also have a teenager living in my house, but to be fair he isn't a girl and he listens to proper music.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Bono

Yeah I would have immediately said Bono, in a media/showbiz sense.

But Oscar Wilde and Bob Geldof, I would put before Nial if we were to ask all ages of people. Maybe if we were just talking to very young people then Nial would be more mentioned. If I was in Ireland I would think Roy Keane and Brian O'Driscoll might get more mentions than Nial.

I don't have many friends, particulalry females ones, that would even know Nial was called Nial, but they would know of the one called Harry because of his links to fashion (be it links to people that are either in fashion or hover around in the scene). If I was to think of my circle of friends, Graham Norton is mentioned a lot, mainly because of his show. And Dara O'Brien too. But that's of course just in relation to the UK. But worldwide Bono jumps straight to mind, or Geldof.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    Yeah I would have immediately said Bono, in a media/showbiz sense.

But Oscar Wilde and Bob Geldof, I would put before Nial if we were to ask all ages of people. Maybe if we were just talking to very young people then Nial would be more mentioned. If I was in Ireland I would think Roy Keane and Brian O'Driscoll might get more mentions than Nial.

I don't have many friends, particulalry females ones, that would even know Nial was called Nial, but they would know of the one called Harry because of his links to fashion (be it links to people that are either in fashion or hover around in the scene). If I was to think of my circle of friends, Graham Norton is mentioned a lot, mainly because of his show. And Dara O'Brien too. But that's of course just in relation to the UK. But worldwide Bono jumps straight to mind, or Geldof.

I think Oscar and even Bob are iconic Irishmen that many older and younger generations would recognise, whereas Niall, I'd bet a lot of older people wouldn't have a clue who he was by name, even in Ireland, though most young people would know, esp. young/teenage girls.

Harry is adorable and easily the most recognisable in 1D because the campaign to promote him as the 'face' of the group has been ongoing since its inception across mass media. Niall hasn't had near the same exposure every day but...there's been a big drive to push Niall to the forefront of One D and title him the 'US favourite' though this is impossible to gauge unless you surveyed everyone across that country. He could certainly be among the most moneyed of wealthy younger Irishmen right now on earnings. But he's still part of a group/ensemble, so his fame is as part of a group. If he were a solo performer making the same amount as the group generate between them, he might have more of a claim to being the 'most famous' in the world right now, at this time, because he'd only need to market his face and image/brand, not four others.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »

Harry is adorable and easily the most recognisable in 1D because the campaign to promote him as the 'face' of the group has been ongoing since its inception across mass media. Niall hasn't had near the same exposure every day but...there's been a big drive to push Niall to the forefront of One D and title him the 'US favourite' though this is impossible to gauge unless you surveyed everyone across that country. He could certainly be among the most moneyed of wealthy younger Irishmen right now on earnings. But he's still part of a group/ensemble, so his fame is as part of a group. If he were a solo performer making the same amount as the group generate between them, he might have more of a claim to being the 'most famous' in the world right now, at this time, because he'd only need to market his face and image/brand, not four others.

Would Nial be able to go it alone a a singer, I don't remember his voice being any good when he sang at the Brits, but maybe he was having an off day. Though I suppose you don't have to be the best singer to be succesul in the music industry. Does he even sing main parts on songs? This is how little I know about Nial Horan.