Sam Allardyce sacked

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Their ex player Slaven Bilic has got the job, his record as a manager is not that great, so I don't think he will do too well there, but as an ex player he should at least have the fans backing from the start.

A manager who has failed at the two clubs he has managed and has never managed in England. Cracking appointment, I bet Big Sam is amused.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A much better fit for the "West Ham" brand.

If West Ham have any chance of getting to the level that the owners have planned for them, A manager like "Big" Sam was never going to be able fulfill the plans. His abilities as a manager is unquestionable but his image is totally wrong and for West Ham that is going to be just as important as anything
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A manager who has failed at the two clubs he has managed and has never managed in England. Cracking appointment, I bet Big Sam is amused.

most neutrals including me thinks he has a great managerial record and I can't wait for the new season now
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know what most neutrals think?

Hold up, neutrals including you?
    I think the reason we struggled in the 2nd half is because of injuries, I think next season with a healthy Carroll and Sakho we could break the top 10
    Forum Member
    most neutrals including me thinks he has a great managerial record and I can't wait for the new season now

Really?

His club managerial record consists of a short spell in charge of Hajduk Split, then Lokomotiv Moscow where he was sacked after 13 months after achieving their lowest league position for 20 years. Then he went to Besiktas where he was sacked after less than a year.

What is 'great' about that?
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    A much better fit for the "West Ham" brand.

If West Ham have any chance of getting to the level that the owners have planned for them, A manager like "Big" Sam was never going to be able fulfill the plans. His abilities as a manager is unquestionable but his image is totally wrong and for West Ham that is going to be just as important as anything

A much better fit yes I agree, but surely there are successful club managers they could have appointed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A much better fit yes I agree, but surely there are successful club managers they could have appointed.

Would they go to West Ham at the moment? Maybe but at massive wages and long term contract (or one with a massive clause in it if sacked)

He is a step up from Sam in terms of a fit but not a perfect fit in terms of where I think they want to go. As Sam was bought in to steady the ship I think he has been bought in bridge the gap between West Ham today and West Ham a couple of years down the line.
  • ArmchairDieHardArmchairDieHard Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Results are more important than image, and Big Sam would have as good as guaranteed Premier League football for their first season in the new ground.

What happens if Bilic struggles to adapt to English football and they go into the new season having just escaped the drop?
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sacked after 1 year, then sacked after 2 years

no experience of managing in the English leagues whatsoever

ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    sacked after 1 year, then sacked after 2 years

ridiculous.

Correct.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah but he played for West Ham so give them what they want.;-)

Big Sam was on a hiding to nothing there, he's best out imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Results are more important than image, and Big Sam would have as good as guaranteed Premier League football for their first season in the new ground.

What happens if Bilic struggles to adapt to English football and they go into the new season having just escaped the drop?

At the moment image is just as important as results to West Ham, They are trying to build a brand and even with guaranteed Premier League football Sam just has the wrong image. It's not about today it's about 5 years down the line.

Any appointment carries a risk. Sam has the ability but not the image, This appointment matches the image needed but it's 50-50 if he has the ability, that's the gamble. With Sam there is no gamble, he doesn't meet a new vital criteria 100%
  • Tusk0312Tusk0312 Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

did Koeman? did Pochettino? did Laudrup?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tusk0312 wrote: »
    did Koeman? did Pochettino? did Laudrup?

but they did have more depth to their CVs

Appointing an ex player is dodgy at the best of times, but to appoint someone who has only failed in their career so far, especially at a time when west ham are under so much pressure (to fill the new stadium), it can and will only end in one way.

Disaster.

WH fans will be begging to have Sam back. just like newcastle and pardew
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone really surprised that West Ham have appointed an ex player?

Di Canio was probably second on their shortlist too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone really surprised that West Ham have appointed an ex player?

Di Canio was probably second on their shortlist too.

He would be better than the managerial dream team of "Redknapp and Rio", who kindly offered to manage West Ham this week.

And i hear Sol Campbell was 3rd in their list
  • ArmchairDieHardArmchairDieHard Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I'd have had Redknapp over Bilic myself.
  • Tusk0312Tusk0312 Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but they did have more depth to their CVs

as a manager?

Pochettino managed for 3 years before he came to England. Laudrup for 12. Bilic has been managing for 14 years.

I get where you're coming from, I too find it an odd appointment but I'll wait to see how he fairs before judging him a failure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tusk0312 wrote: »
    Bilic has been managing for 14 years.

but not in club football

managing international football for Croatia, some time for the u21 team, has vastly different expectations than for a PL club.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: Point already made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being an international head coach and a club manager are two vastly different jobs, just because a person might be successful in one of them, it doesn't mean he will be in the other.

Thank you for repeating my exact point.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for repeating my exact point.

Sorry, my mistake, your post as not there when I wrote that, I have edited my post to reflect this.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth putting a bet on Billic for next season's sack race!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It's worth putting a bet on Billic for next season's sack race!

Him and rodgers each way
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got a crystal ball, so I will wait an see how Billic does before I slate him from my laptop.

As for Fat Sam I hated him... Never liked him before he was West Ham manager.

And one thing that seems to have been missed in this thread is the fact that Sam wasn't sacked.... His contract had ran out and he wasn't offered a new one... So he left by mutual consent.

And I'd rather watch entertaining football and loose then watch that crap Sam served up each week!