Options

United Airlines staff refuse to give can of coke to Muslim woman

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    If what she said about another passenger being given an unopened can of beer, is true, then she has a perfectly valid reason for complaint.

Why would she lie about such a random thing?

customers always tell lies

first thing they teach you in retail.....and the motor trade
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what her opinion of gay people is.
  • Options
    My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the inference was that the attendant assumed that she was a terrorist threat because she was a muslim.
    That in itself is discriminatory but then again worse acts of discrimination occur everyday. I don't doubt that this woman was hurt and angry but please put this into perspective.

There is no reason , except personal prejudice against Muslims to suspect her of lying or to say that she deserved it because her faith discriminates against other groups.
    I am generally against most of what I hear about islam, but I have no reason to begrudge this individual woman or to think she deserved to be treated this way.
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Why would she lie about such a random thing?

I'm not suggesting she is lying, but remember (in America especially) many people are constantly on the lookout for a juicy law suit opportunity.

I remember years ago reading about a girl who had a successful interview at a trendy women's hairdressers, then turned up to work in a full burqa. Obviously this wasn't the image the hairdresser was going for, and they ended up having to pay a huge compensation package after the issue was brought up.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They open the cans first so if they fizz over it happens on the trolley. No doubt she mistook what she saw and then tried to get an unopened can, which was refused. And then, since outrage is every newsseekers default setting, she complained. Loudly.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going only off the information in the report and without resorting to guesswork or making assumptions then the passenger was treated very badly and discriminated against by the person who wouldn't serve her with an unopened can. The comments from the other passenger was also wrong.

There also seems to be a problem with some posters who can't understand or distinguish between individual people and the actions of some Muslims.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but why was an unopened can given to one person and not another?

And you believe that without question?
  • Options
    Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you believe that without question?

I wonder if the article didn't involve a Muslim, you'd be saying the same thing?
  • Options
    My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the article didn't involve a Muslim, you'd be saying the same thing?

It wouldn't make the news
    I'm trying to remember if I have ever been offered an unopened drink on a plane. I don't think that I have.
    In this case I think the other passenger who told her to shut up is the really offensive culprit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would indeed as we live in a "law suit culture" where everyone is on the make. What this woman is doing is adding the "race card" element into it, totally reprehensible.

You on the other hand have already without question labelled the attendant as "scum" also totally reprehensible.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why wouldn't they? It's quite common for people to be mistaken about what they think they've seen or heard. There's also the element of people who will exaggerate or even lie in the hopes of gaining compensation.
    In any case, the airline is right to investigate the situation, rather than just accepting her word for it. The customer isn't always in the right, as every single person who has ever worked with members of the public could tell you.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    ‘you Muslim, you need to shut the f**k up’..

I thought Mr T. didn't like flying? :confused:
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would indeed as we live in a "law suit culture" where everyone is on the make. What this woman is doing is adding the "race card" element into it, totally reprehensible.

You on the other hand have already without question labelled the attendant as "scum" also totally reprehensible.

Speak for yourself.

And I'm assuming you are including yourself when you say everyone is on the make.

It's silly how you have created your own scenario in a way that discriminates against a Muslim woman. I wonder what informs your thinking?
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the situation didn't involve a muslim playing the victim card, it wouldn't have been 'news' - so no one would know about the triviality of the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Wonder what her opinion of gay people is.

Or blue cheese?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Or blue cheese?

Yes, because that's as relevant as persecuting a minority group.
  • Options
    Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the situation didn't involve a muslim playing the victim card, it wouldn't have been 'news' - so no one would know about the triviality of the story.

If the same thing happened to you, what would you have done? Would you have kept silent or told everyone about the disgusting discrimination you were put through?
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you draw your eyebrows on with an extra wide marker pen if you were going to have your photo in the paper?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get some nuts
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    If it all happened as she says then she is well within her rights to complain and yes, it IS racist. Who is to say that the white guy was not recruited by some terrorist organisation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    plymgary wrote: »
    Yes, because that's as relevant as persecuting a minority group.

a) I missed the bit in the article where she had.
    b) It's about as relevant as the comment about gays is to the story being discussed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak for yourself.

And I'm assuming you are including yourself when you say everyone is on the make.

It's silly how you have created your own scenario in a way that discriminates against a Muslim woman. I wonder what informs your thinking?

Its interesting you accuse me of creating a "scenario" but are not questioning the woman for doing the same. Go back and look what she does for a living and ask yourself how much of a coincidence was it that this flight attendant happened to pick on this particular person.

I use United as well as American frequently for trips to the US and both airlines have always opened or poured canned drinks without asking me first.

Like it or not, and you can't have failed to notice the TV commercials, we live in a claim culture imported largely from the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    a) I missed the bit in the article where she had.
    b) It's about as relevant as the comment about gays is to the story being discussed

a) Islam is intrinsically homophobic. So, she will be.
    b) Yes, I know. I wasn't condoning her treatment - if it happened as reported, it was wrong and should be investigated and dealt with accordingly. However, I don't give a damn if she's offended, due to point (a).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    plymgary wrote: »
    a) Islam is intrinsically homophobic. So, she will be.
    b) Yes, I know. I wasn't condoning her treatment - if it happened as reported, it was wrong and should be investigated and dealt with accordingly. However, I don't give a damn if she's offended.

It's not inconceivable that a Muslim cannot be homophobic you know. All the Ibrahimic religions are intrinsically homophobic. Are all their adherents homophobic?
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the same thing happened to you, what would you have done? Would you have kept silent or told everyone about the disgusting discrimination you were put through?
    LoL at 'disgusting discrimination' and your earlier 'anti-muslim scum' comments over an ambiguous situation about an unopened can of drink :D

Excitable or what?

Anything for the cause though eh?
This discussion has been closed.