Sports Personality of The Year

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Corky Duke wrote: »
    He did all that on his own then did he, on that basis then the whole Man Utd team should of won it.
    This is a player who used to get injured when his national side were playing in a friendly, yet he recovered from his injury very quickly to play for Man Utd 4 days later.

Button should of won it, he doesn't have 10 other players plus referee to help him out when he's on the track.

Phil Taylor left out again, 14 world titles and the first player to hold all major titles in one year, maybe because he plays in the PDC the BBC arnt interested, although if a BDO darts player player hit anywhere near them heights (silly I know) then the BBC would be all over it as they cover BDO events

yes completely agree.... oh wait hang on no I don't.

Yes your right Button doesn't have about 10 other players to help him out, he has a team of about 30 guys in the pit lane, plus someone on his radio constantly, not to mention the 1000 odd guys back at the teams base. oh and as much as I enjoy F1, lets face it he had the best car, what other reason is there for him only doing so well this season?
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    soprano86 wrote: »
    yes completely agree.... oh wait hang on no I don't.

Yes your right Button doesn't have about 10 other players to help him out, he has a team of about 30 guys in the pit lane, plus someone on his radio constantly, not to mention the 1000 odd guys back at the teams base. oh and as much as I enjoy F1, lets face it he had the best car, what other reason is there for him only doing so well this season?

Yeah, but Ryan Giggs doesn't risk his life every time he performs for the team.

On race day , only the drivers get in the car ,take it out on track and drive like demons to bring the bacon home for the team, the sponsors, the viewers - the buck stops with them and they only need a few bad races to be out on their ear.

Footballers are treated like babies and for the most part behave like them.

I don't begrudge Giggs a liftime achievement award, but for the life of me I can't see what he did to win this over a very strong field.

• mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly don't object to an annual award show highlighting sporting achievement, but really this award is meaningless. When you have in the trailers Sebastian Coe saying it's the only award he displays it's bordering on the ridiculous.

Good to have the show, but let's not have the BBC make out it is one of the premier awards a sports person can achieve. It's in their interest to over hype the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giggs? Are they taking the piss?
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you get that from? :confused: :rolleyes: Utter nonsense. Giggs is a great professional and a great role model, very well deserved I say :)

There must be someone badly behaved with a similar name then because the first thing I said to my husband was "I thought he was a thug?", to which my husband said "no, he's a great guy".

I wonder who I am thinking of then (not a football fan, as you can probably tell :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    It was good to see someone other than Button win. His self assured smugness is starting to annoy me. And I'm a big F1 fan too and can't stick football.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After reading this thread I was starting to wonder if I was the only one pleased to see Giggsy win the top award!!
    I'm a huge fan of his and I voted for him, although I was convinced Button would win.

I thought it was well-deserved. Ryan is a decent and unassuming bloke, a true professional and shies away from all the 'celebrity' nonsense.

I'm not really sure where some folk get their information from - he is not a 'thug' and has certainly done a little more than 'sod all' in order to warrant this award. To still be playing at the top at 36 takes serious dedication.
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had voted it would have been for the gymnast.

Purely amateur - unlike those in the top three, trains for 30 hours/week. In danger of breaking neck every time she practices, and no huge team backup.

For the same reason her coach, or almost all of the coaches of the other contenders, should have got coach of the year. At least the people they coach have actually acheived world champion status this year - unlike the England footy coach.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the BBC offered free voting (eg via their website), they'd get a lot more votes and a more representative result. It amazes me that they still get away with not offering free voting for this and other awards and competitions.
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that it is supposed to be Sports Personality OF THE YEAR. Giggs is brilliant, but what has been so special about this particular year for him? Many of the other contenders have achieved great things this year. :confused:
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whats giggs done this year ,won the league title (again)won the league cup(again) in the european cup final(again)
    but for me it was a surprise he beat jenson and before you say i do not support man u .

As most of the others have won titles on the global stage, so are the best in the world at their chosen sports, remind me again of Ryan Giggs' achievements at the same level??? :confused:

Surely the point of SPOTY is to recognise achievements over the past 12 monthys, not a career.
  • super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO Mark Cavendish was the only Brit that truely deserved the award...no one came close to matching his achievements this year.

But then he has no TV profile & a Man Utd bandwagon behind him ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    After reading this thread I was starting to wonder if I was the only one pleased to see Giggsy win the top award!!
    I'm a huge fan of his and I voted for him, although I was convinced Button would win.

I thought it was well-deserved. Ryan is a decent and unassuming bloke, a true professional and shies away from all the 'celebrity' nonsense.

I'm not really sure where some folk get their information from - he is not a 'thug' and has certainly done a little more than 'sod all' in order to warrant this award. To still be playing at the top at 36 takes serious dedication.

I am very happy to admit that I got it wrong (he seemed a lovely guy) but I would love to know who it was that I have got him confused with :confused:
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    I am very happy to admit that I got it wrong (he seemed a lovely guy) but I would love to know who it was that I have got him confused with :confused:

I've no idea.

Admittedly there are more than a few footballers with 'colourful' lifestyles but Ryan doesn't court that kind of publicity!!

As for the result, this is what happens when a public phone vote is employed. There are always going to be folk who will never be satisfied, thus beginning the obligatory cross-analysis - "Button woz robbed!!" etc. ad nauseum.

Giggsy won fair and square and by a considerable margin of votes. Move on.
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I am very happy to admit that I got it wrong (he seemed a lovely guy) but I would love to know who it was that I have got him confused with

A long time ago Giggs was accused of hitting a woman in a bar in Manchester. To tell the truth, I cannot remember the outcome - but I remember thinking he was a nasty person then. Maybe this is why you consider him a thug?

However, to give him his due, he has kept his head down ever since and I, for one, am happy he got the award.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    I am very happy to admit that I got it wrong (he seemed a lovely guy) but I would love to know who it was that I have got him confused with

A long time ago Giggs was accused of hitting a woman in a bar in Manchester. To tell the truth, I cannot remember the outcome - but I remember thinking he was a nasty person then. Maybe this is why you consider him a thug?

However, to give him his due, he has kept his head down ever since and I, for one, am happy he got the award.

I expect that is what I am remembering. These days, of course, I am rather more cynical and tend not to believe everything I read in the papers :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Paul02 wrote: »
    If the BBC offered free voting (eg via their website), they'd get a lot more votes and a more representative result. It amazes me that they still get away with not offering free voting for this and other awards and competitions.

They might have got a more representative vote if the BBC had been a bit more sensible in their scheduling.

Surely by showing this programme at exactly the same time as the X Factor final - widely predicted to get the largest viewing figurse of the year - they would get a much smaller live audience, hence a smaller voting pool.

It would be interesting to know how many people normally vote in this but if the figures were a long way down this could lead to an unexpected result.
  • ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    But how much leeway did the BBC have in terms of scheduling? For as long as I can remember this programme has been on the second Sunday in December, and the clash arises from the fact that ITV expanded the X Factor to two shows a weekend. Since the second Sunday in December is also the Sunday before the Christmas Top 40, ITV moved its biggest tank of all onto the BBC’s lawn. I don’t know at what stage BBC schedulers realised that X Factor was on Sundays as well, but the shows were on a collision course and the venue had probably already been booked. Besides, what would it have looked like if they'd backed down?

I don’t know about you, but I miss the days of “Sports Review”. Before the last decade the format of the show was such that somebody who’d been in Outer Mongolia for 12 months could get a good overview of the sporting year. Now with the change of title from “Sports Review” [incorporating the award of the Sports Personality of the Year] to “Sports Personality of the Year” [incorporating umpteen other awards they’ve thought up] it’s more based on personality profiles, pompous Eddie Butler-type voiceovers and blink-and-you-miss-it pictures of achievers in minor sports. And of course the main reason is that the BBC has so much less footage of its own to show these days. It’s a huge pity that the programme I (like Giggsy) grew up watching is so much more style than substance these days.

“Department_S” at post 5 above was spot on about the charm of the Wood Lane setting – using rock-gig staging and all those flashing lights did it no favours. (Hold on, wasn’t it at Sheffield that Neil Kinnock’s Labour Party got too glitzy for its own good?)