Options

Has anyone got any yummykins beef stew with dumplings recipes?

parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
Forum Member
:):):)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Bump.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a delicious one a few weeks ago ... I had a jar of pickled walnuts that I wanted to use up so I did some googling and found a number of different recipes for beef with pickled walnuts.

What I made was not an exact copy of any of the recipes I found, but an adaptation. I added a few prunes as well. It was very rich and tasty - so I just made plain dumplings to go with it and some plain mashed potato.

Oh - if you're cooking for your parents as well (re your other thread) ... don't tell them about any "exotic" ingredients you add :D
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a delicious one a few weeks ago ... I had a jar of pickled walnuts that I wanted to use up so I did some googling and found a number of different recipes for beef with pickled walnuts.

What I made was not an exact copy of any of the recipes I found, but an adaptation. I added a few prunes as well. It was very rich and tasty - so I just made plain dumplings to go with it and some plain mashed potato.

Oh - if you're cooking for your parents as well (re your other thread) ... don't tell them about any "exotic" ingredients you add :D

Indeed.

"Capiscum, star anise? What are you talking about.":D
  • Options
    Forum Member

There's actually a possibility they might eat and enjoy it... so long as there's a plate of boiled floury spuds on the table. But my dad will still insist it isn't "real" food. :D

I tried making dumplings a few months ago, just as practice. I just did them in water but they came apart and were a soggy, flavourless disaster. I think that was my problem really, just doing them in water. They just immersed too far in the water rather than the resting on top they would have done in a stew, and sure no wonder they were flavourless, having been cooked in a flavourless medium. :rolleyes::)
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    There's actually a possibility they might eat and enjoy it... so long as there's a plate of boiled floury spuds on the table. But my dad will still insist it isn't "real" food. :D

I tried making dumplings a few months ago, just as practice. I just did them in water but they came apart and were a soggy, flavourless disaster. I think that was my problem really, just doing them in water. They just immersed too far in the water rather than the resting on top they would have done in a stew, and sure no wonder they were flavourless, having been cooked in a flavourless medium. :rolleyes::)

Not sure about home made dumplings. just buy a pack of Aunt Bessies (8 in a pack)...They are ok.....:D
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easy peasy! A 5 minute job.

Sieve some selfraising flour (so you get plenty of air into it)
    Mix in half its weight of shredded suet
    Add some salt n pepper (herbs if you like)
    Gradually add cold water until you can gather all the dough into a ball.
    Knead lightly to smooth it out a bit and divide into smaller balls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    you need some good meat , nice stewing or braising steak , place in chosen dish and crumble 4 stock cubes over , top up with boiling water , add some small new potatoes and carrots cut chunky , shove it in the oven for an hour at around 180 degrees c , the problem now is you need to play with it till you are happy , adding stock , leave a while , then when you are sure you are ready add peas and some 'goldenfry' dumplings with the lid off the casserole so they go crispy crunchy on the top , sit back and enjoy :D
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With dumplings, if you can't fit them in your stew pot (which is the best way to cook them in my opinion) then get a stock cube, make up some stock and cook them in that. Much better than just water.

If doing suet dumplings I just follow the recipe on the packet. if doing bread dumplings, I use

breadcrumbs,
    milk,
    2 eggs
    salt and pepper for seasoning,
    flour
    mixed chopped herbs if you want herby dumplings.

Mix the milk, eggs and bread together slowly until you get a firm consistency that you will be able to form into balls. Not too wet but not too dry.

Add the seasoning and herbs if using.

Scoop out portions of the mix with your hands and use flour to help form it into balls. Remember they will swell up when you cook them so make them smaller than what you are aiming for.

Then either pop them on the top of your stew or in a pan of stock and cook for about 25 minutes.

For the stew itself, that will vary depending on what veg I have in. But I generally start with beef (make sure the beef has fat running though it, as it will help to tenderise it and adds flavour to the stew). Brown it off in flour, then add beef stock an oxo and the veg.

I would normally do it in the oven or slow cooker though (so technically it is a casserole as stews are done entirely on the hob).

For the oven I would put it all in the casserole dish, cover it and put it in the oven at about 150-160c for 3.5 hours. At the half way point take it out, give it a stir, it should be thicker now from the flour and give it a taste. Season as required. Pop it back in for the remaining time.

For the slow cooker, the same but for about 5-6 hours on low.

Never fails me, the meat always comes out lovely and tender but still nice and juicy and not stringy. I couldn't tell you quantities though as I do it all by eye again, depending on what veg I am using and how many I am feeding.

As mentioned it another recent thread, I don't use the best quality meat when making stews. The cheaper stuff with fat running through it in my opinion makes a much nicer stew. But it does need cooking longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent, thank you. :)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done a Tender Beef Casserole for donkeys years and my lot still love it.

The vinegar tenderises the stewing steak beautifully and it should melt in your mouth. This recipe will serve 4.

Stewing steak (quickly dry fry to seal) Add a heaped tablespoon of flour, cook for min or 2. Add about a pint of stock. (Use oxo cubes or bovril stock if you like). Bring to boil and removed from heat.

Chop up big onion, couple sticks celery, couple of carrots, some washed & peeled potatoes cut into 1" cubes, 2 teaspoons made mustard, 3 tablespoons vinegar, salt & black pepper, chopped parsley. Put all this lot in large casserole and add meat and stock. If stock doesn't cover, just add more hot water.

Cover & Cook at 180C for about 2 hrs. While it's cooking, make up your suet dumplings and pop them in on top of your hot stew for approx 15 mins.

Leek dumplings are nice too - very finely chop a leek and add it to the dumplings before cooking.