Opinion Polls Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    Starting to look like an outright Labour victory in 2015 is slipping away from Ed Miliband.
    And yet 3 days ago Yougov had a 7 point lead for Labour. The range over the past year or so is 3-8%, excluding outliers, and hasn't changed much. There's still 14 months to go before the GE, with the Euro elections and the Scottish referendum in the way, so anything can happen, but it's looking like a majority for Labour on present polling.
    Political calculus gives a Labour majority of 26 with the 3% lead, 48 with the 4 point lead and 88 with the 7 point lead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    And yet 3 days ago Yougov had a 7 point lead for Labour. The range over the past year or so is 3-8%, excluding outliers, and hasn't changed much. There's still 14 months to go before the GE, with the Euro elections and the Scottish referendum in the way, so anything can happen, but it's looking like a majority for Labour on present polling.

On the present polling it would be an outright majority for Labour, 20 seats in that last poll. (UK polling report)

However we have to take into account that one year before the 2010 GE the Tories were averaging over 10% above Labour, and that slipped away from them. Also, there appears to be a trend of a decreased Labour lead forming...which is bad news for an opposition party one year off a GE.
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting to look like an outright Labour victory in 2015 is slipping away from Ed Miliband.

Much as I don't want to tempt fate, it was never rationally looking that way with the improving economy and a year plus to go.
    Forum Member
    guypd wrote: »
    Much as I don't want to tempt fate, it was never rationally looking that way with the improving economy and a year plus to go.

I think it's most likely to be a hung parliament either way with a supply/confidence deal rather than a coalition.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the disaster of a referendum question has hurt Labour.

So far

Labour - No referendum
    Tories - Maybe have one
    UKIP - Will Have one
    LibDems - ???
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Looks like the disaster of a referendum question has hurt Labour.

So far

Labour - No referendum
    Tories - Maybe have one
    UKIP - Will Have one
    LibDems - ???

I think you've got a tiny bit mixed up,

Labour - Will have one if there are further power exchanges from London to Brussels (So effectively no referendum)
    Tories - A referendum in 2017, In/Out after attempted repatriation of powers
    UKIP - Will have one
    Lib Dems - No referendum
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Those figures would still produce a Labour majority of around 60.
    Forum Member
    J_Waller wrote: »
    On the present polling it would be an outright majority for Labour, 20 seats in that last poll. (UK polling report)

However we have to take into account that one year before the 2010 GE the Tories were averaging over 10% above Labour, and that slipped away from them. Also, there appears to be a trend of a decreased Labour lead forming...which is bad news for an opposition party one year off a GE.

Alternatively, the Tories could lose a further 10% by applying the same logic in a different direction.
    Forum Member
    Alternatively, the Tories could lose a further 10% by applying the same logic in a different direction.

Considering the current trend + economic circumstances at the time...as well as an unpopular leader of the opposition, I think that's very unlikely.
    Forum Member
    Considering the current trend + economic circumstances at the time...as well as an unpopular leader of the opposition, I think that's very unlikely.

What do you think it was like in 2010 when GB was deeply unpopular and we were in the middle of a recession? Despite that, the Tories lost 10%.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the first sign of traction for the Lib Dems? Maybe their outspoken support for EU membership has won them back some friends on the left.

I wonder whether we could see a realignment back to tactical voting against the Conservatives. Lib Dems holding their seats but their votes transferring to Labour in their Tory marginals. We could even see the Tories ending up with 37% of the vote but Labour and Lib Dems holding a majority of seats - at which point the Daily Mail will implode at the unfairness of the electoral system :)
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Based on one poll :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    The economy isn't improving for the vast majority of people outside the SE of England, and that is where the GE will be decided.
    Forum Member
    What do you think it was like in 2010 when GB was deeply unpopular and we were in the middle of a recession? Despite that, the Tories lost 10%.

Actually the economy was beginning to recover, plus we had the unexpected phenomenon of 'Cleggmania'...which something tells me won't be happening this time around, the Cleggmania that is.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have an opionio
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I don't have an opionio
    ....n
  • johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the economy was beginning to recover, plus we had the unexpected phenomenon of 'Cleggmania'...which something tells me won't be happening this time around, the Cleggmania that is.

The economy wasn't recovering...
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    The economy isn't improving for the vast majority of people outside the SE of England, and that is where the GE will be decided.

To "it's the wrong kind of snow" we can now add "it's the wrong kind of recovery".

Good luck with that one.
    Forum Member
    To "it's the wrong kind of snow" we can now add "it's the wrong kind of recovery".

Good luck with that one.
    At least come up with something original next time. It's not the wrong kind of recovery, its no recovery at all for vast swathes of the country, especially in areas where there are many marginals like the midlands and the Tories will pay the price at the ballot box.

A big fault with Tory economic policy and exactly the same as in the 1980's and 1990's is that any prosperity generated benefits only a select few whilst they promise it will 'trickle down', which of course like the 1980's and 90's simply never happens, of course by then the Conservatives and their cronies have stuffed their pockets (much of it from Government Handouts for thir supporters in industry) hence their destruction by New Labour in 1997.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, looks like it's all over.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Yes, looks like it's all over.

How will you and your friend, Neil cope if the Tories get a majority?
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    There is zero chance of that, do you seriously think that they will get anywhere near the minimum 40% needed?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »

How will you if they don't?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    How will you if they don't?

I'm not the one getting all cocky with the polls, you clearly have a lot of emotional attachment to a Labour win. Politics matters very little to my day to day life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    There is zero chance of that, do you seriously think that they will get anywhere near the minimum 40% needed?

I would suggest that anyone who thinks there is zero chance of something like that happening in the next 14 months doesn't consider how things can change in politics.
This discussion has been closed.