New PC?

simps100simps100 Posts: 514
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

My pcs coming up to 3 years old now and im very much considering replacing it, just after some advice as to when people think i should?

Im sure just a few months ago i read somthing about a new "Bios replacement" EFI, is it worth waiting a few months to see if anything comes of this?

Thanks

Marc

Comments

• max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    If a PC does everything you want and does it quickly, there's simply no need to replace it just for the sake of it. A good clean-out, switching to a lighter AV or adding some more RAM can rejuvenate a machine that has started to slowdown.

So instead of a new PC, it might be a better option to treat yourself to a bigger monitor or nicer keyboard and mouse. And if you don't currently have a backup device, that really should be your next essential purchase.
  • GorkyGorky Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you might be able to upgrade it relatively cheaply. I recently upgraded from a dual core Intel to a quad core AMD rather than buy a new PC. Post the spec of your system and we can give you some advice.
  • paulmellerspaulmellers Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max is right. Whats the point of buying stuff you already own?
    DVD drive? Tick!
    Case? Tick!
    Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse? Tick!
    RAM/MOBO/CPU? Tick!
    OS? Tick!

What don't you like about your current PC? You can in some cases, upgrade it for free. If it's bogged down, clean it out and add some RAM. Simply Bored, change the UI!
  • simps100simps100 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The spec is actually not bad, its one i built my self a few years ago!

Its a Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
    Windows 7 64bit
    4GB ram
    500 gb HDD
    NVidea gforce 8800 GT

I guess what does interest me the most in a new pc is the EFI bios replacement which will hopefully speed up boot times alot so i may well wait until then.

Very good point about backup, i am very interested in purchasing a NAS at some point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simps100 wrote: »
    The spec is actually not bad, its one i built my self a few years ago!

Its a Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
    Windows 7 64bit
    4GB ram
    500 gb HDD
    NVidea gforce 8800 GT

I guess what does interest me the most in a new pc is the EFI bios replacement which will hopefully speed up boot times alot so i may well wait until then.

Very good point about backup, i am very interested in purchasing a NAS at some point.
    Same spec as my PC. Which I have no plans of upgrading simply because it does everything I need. If you're looking for faster boot-up times then have a look at SSD drives to replace your current Windows drive.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been told by Dell rep that expect EFI to knock off 10 to 15 secs at book time. There are other advantages to it but honestly nothing ground breaking. You can find more information here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Fast bootup times are overrated anyway. Modern OSs don't need frequent rebooting, so Hibernation is a better alternative to a full shutdown.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might be useful:

Speed up Boot Time

1. By default, Windows7 waits 30 seconds before it starts to load the operating system.
    2. To decrease this time, Right click on My Computer
    3. Click on Advance System Settings
    5. Under Startup and Recovery, click on the Settings button
    6. Decrease the time from 30 seconds to something like 3
    7. You can also change the settings for what happens in case of a System failure
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    This might be useful:

Speed up Boot Time

1. By default, Windows7 waits 30 seconds before it starts to load the operating system.
    2. To decrease this time, Right click on My Computer
    3. Click on Advance System Settings
    5. Under Startup and Recovery, click on the Settings button
    6. Decrease the time from 30 seconds to something like 3
    7. You can also change the settings for what happens in case of a System failure

This only helps if you are using Windows Boot Manager in a Multi OS Boot system
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I've had my main dell desktop since April 2006 and it still works a treat (hope I havent jinxed it now!) It started to slow down earlier this year which I gather is due to new software using up more RAM so I simply upgraded my RAM from 512MB to 1.2GB and its running much quicker now.

So yes I've had mine almost 5 years and its still going strong. I do open it up every couple of months and clean the fans with an air can. I do expect it to soon refuse to start purely based on how long I've had it for so I have my most important files backed up to external HDD.