Should Chezza have elocution lessons ?

13»

Comments

• tsarinatsarina Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She hasn't necessarily had any elecution lessons, more likely the fact that he has been away from the North East for a while now. Some people tend to pick up dialect and ways of speaking from where they are living and who is around them.

I originate from North Yorkshire but when I lived and worked in London I had to change the way I spoke because some people really didn't understand some phrases! I now split my time between Hampshire and Texas so there is even Americanisms dropped in. It's not deliberate it just what you pick up as you go along.

I actually quite like her accent. The rest of her I'm not fussed about ;)
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidnumen wrote: »
    Neither of them need to have great grammar but clear diction IS required. Winstone reads other people's words, he's not a writer. Same as Cheryl doing an advert - but the fact that one of her lines in her current advert is, IMHO, open to an unfortunate but hilarious misinterpretation purely because of her pronunciation proves she should polish her skills.

Nothing to do with being "posh", just being understood.

I'd hardly say Winstone's diction is clear! :confused: Great diction went out with the likes of Alec Guinness! :D

I think Cheryl Cole has polished her speech quite a bit in recent years. Not that I follow her career closely. :D

One does not have to be "posh" to attempt to speak English correctly. Accents are fine as far as I'm concerned, it's when people say things that are grammatically incorrect that annoy me (for instance "I didn't do nothing"). It sounds like they never went to school. But people accept it from someone like Winstone because it makes him sound "hard" and "from the street". I'm sure if he started speaking proper English he'd be accused of selling out and his brand would be damaged.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find her voice exceptionally irritating but that's personal taste. She speaks well enough.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I like her accent.