Comments

• Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Like Eurovision isn't as corrupt as it can be already!

Do we need to add Cowell's brand of unfairness and corruption to it as well?

After the fiasco of the final, one thinks he should go quiet for a bit until that cools down, not announcing more shows to which he want to add his brand of corruption.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the only way we'll win. Simon Cowell knows better than anyone what will be popular with audiences; he'd know exactly who to send to Eurovision to finally give us our first victory in ages.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm not overly fond of Simon Cowell and the fact he seemingly has a hold over so much, but I have to admit he just might be what's needed to put us back where we belong.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Cowell can't get us a winner in the Eurovision then it is well and truly fixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But why should he be good at getting a Eurovision winner when his X Factor show produces some acts that are 3rd rate and hardly do anything before being dropped forever.

Simon is in the such it and see game. Stocks and shares of human life - He buys up anyone who might be good to stop his competitors getting them, puts in the minimum amount of money to promote them and see if they have any legs. If an act fails, he drops them and if sufficient success is achieved to make him money, then he already has them signed up so that they can't go elsewhere.

Simon Cowell is in the people trade and his only interest is himself.
  • Options
    kleinzachkleinzach Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason we don't fit in to Eurovision is that we don't take part in it properly. Other nations have to go through heats to make it through. For example, Ireland didn't qualify this time round. The preliminary rounds and heats are big TV audience programmes in Scandinavia. Other nations also take Eurovision more seriously than we do. I was in a bar in Stockholm a few years ago, and it had a bigger crowd watching the qualifier than a big bar does for a Champions League final with an English side in it in the UK.

They have important broadcasters hosting their shows, we usually use someone that does a gentle piss-take of the whole thing, and that is the UK's general feeling about Eurovision. Yet we get a bye to the final!

So why do we wonder why are are ostracised from the main group? We should have to qualify like everyone else or quit whingeing about it being fixed. The internal politics of Eurovision are indeed set a bit against us but for the justifiable reasons above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why should he be good at getting a Eurovision winner when his X Factor show produces some acts that are 3rd rate and hardly do anything before being dropped forever.

They do more than those on The Voice.

I can name quite a few X Factor finalists who have gone on to have success:

Leona Lewis
    Alexandra Burke
    JLS
    Olly Murs
    One Direction (worldwide)
    Little Mix (Also worldwide)
    Amelia Lily
    Ella Henderson
    Stacey Solomon
    Ray Quinn
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kleinzach wrote: »
    The reason we don't fit in to Eurovision is that we don't take part in it properly. Other nations have to go through heats to make it through. For example, Ireland didn't qualify this time round. The preliminary rounds and heats are big TV audience programmes in Scandinavia. Other nations also take Eurovision more seriously than we do. I was in a bar in Stockholm a few years ago, and it had a bigger crowd watching the qualifier than a big bar does for a Champions League final with an English side in it in the UK.

They have important broadcasters hosting their shows, we usually use someone that does a gentle piss-take of the whole thing, and that is the UK's general feeling about Eurovision. Yet we get a bye to the final!

So why do we wonder why are are ostracised from the main group? We should have to qualify like everyone else or quit whingeing about it being fixed. The internal politics of Eurovision are indeed set a bit against us but for the justifiable reasons above.

WHY should we have to qualify every year when we pay for the bloody thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    WHY should we have to qualify every year when we pay for the bloody thing?

All the nations 'pay for the bloody thing'. In fact the host nation pays for the privilege. Quite some 'reward' for winning. It cost Denmark some £24m in 2000....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We pay the most money for it to go ahead every year, I don't mean just when we host it.

If it wasn't for our financial contribution, it probably wouldn't go ahead, or would be on a much smaller scale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't he fix the mess, shambles and gross illegalities in BGT before working on a new show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gross illegalities?

Haha, your act is boring now.
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Cowell should be the next president of FIFA instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gross illegalities?

Haha, your act is boring now.

My act may be boring but bringing on someone else and passing them off as me is against DS rules. (It's immoral at best and illegal if money is involved)
  • Options
    Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I'm not overly fond of Simon Cowell and the fact he seemingly has a hold over so much, but I have to admit he just might be what's needed to put us back where we belong.

It always bewilders me how much hold he actually does have. Reality TV has absolutely propelled him to the top.
    I must be honest I hope he doesn't get his mitts into Eurovision. I don't think he does know what the public want. If he did why do so many of his acts get dropped so quickly and often without even a decent hit. I stopped voting for xfactor winners because he just wouldn't invest in people who did have a bright future if only they had, had the right guidance.
    I can guarantee he would struggle knowing what song to choose as he probably wouldn't be allowed Unchained melody sung by a man in a suit!
    I'm sure the rules are the song needs to be something original.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,861
    Forum Member
    We pay the most money for it to go ahead every year, I don't mean just when we host it.

If it wasn't for our financial contribution, it probably wouldn't go ahead, or would be on a much smaller scale.

Yes, our grand contribution of around £300,000 (For which in return we get 2 semi finals and the grand final totalling 6 hours of tv) would completely stop an event that costs nearly £30 million to put on- As a nation, we go about Eurovision in the wrong way, and Cowell as much as it would inflate his already huge ego, would significantly improve the UKs chances of doing well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's ages since we took Eurovision seriously. Our hosts aren't even funny comedians. Just lame ones. How can we expect other nations to take us seriously when we don't take the competition seriously? Also, we should remember that Eurovision is actually more about the song than just the singer. Surely there is an opportunity here for people to compete to write the song for the Eurovision and perform their own song? People have been whingeing on these boards about no competition on TV for singer songwriters, but here you have an ideal opportunity to do just that.

Get rid of Norton, put in a better host and have a reality show to find the singer/songwriter . Could be a 10 week slot running up to the Eurovision itself.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cowell wants to take over world entertainment . Just like all megalomaniacs they want more and more power .
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Simon is in the such it and see game. Stocks and shares of human life - He buys up anyone who might be good to stop his competitors getting them, puts in the minimum amount of money to promote them and see if they have any legs. If an act fails, he drops them and if sufficient success is achieved to make him money, then he already has them signed up so that they can't go elsewhere.

Simon Cowell is in the people trade and his only interest is himself.

I understand to a degree, but there have always been Cowells in the music/entertainment industry doing this with people -its just that they haven't been in the public eye. Cowell is unique in that he has such a presence on stage as well as off and history will define this television era as overshadowed by him imo.

Personally I feel a bit sad that a generation of kids have grown up clinging to X Factor/BGT and in effect the middle of the road light pop acts it has thrown up. It just seems to have been rather bland on the face of it.

Having said that if I were the BBC I would call Cowells bluff and let him devise a format. There is nothing to stop Syco working with the BBC on a project is there? Give him a go-there are forces in the Eurovision world even Cowell cannot command I would imagine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I understand to a degree, but there have always been Cowells in the music/entertainment industry doing this with people -its just that they haven't been in the public eye. Cowell is unique in that he has such a presence on stage as well as off and history will define this television era as overshadowed by him imo.

Personally I feel a bit sad that a generation of kids have grown up clinging to X Factor/BGT and in effect the middle of the road light pop acts it has thrown up. It just seems to have been rather bland on the face of it.

Having said that if I were the BBC I would call Cowells bluff and let him devise a format. There is nothing to stop Syco working with the BBC on a project is there? Give him a go-there are forces in the Eurovision world even Cowell cannot command I would imagine.

I wouldn't be so sure about the last bit. Simon has a big influence in other countries around Europe too; his Got Talent format broke the world record for the 'World's Most Successful Reality TV Format' and X Factor has been quite successful too. I'm sure those in Austria, for example, will have a good idea who Simon Cowell is.

If Andrew Lloyd Webber's presence helped the UK come 5th, then Simon Cowell should be in with a fighting chance.