Contactless limit to go up to £30

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Fraud is tiny on contactless. The vast majority are happy with them and will continue to use them. Only the foolish tinfoil hat brigade like you seen to think they are evil.
    Well, fraud would be low, as there isn't the opportunity to widely use them, and not everyone has them and the limit has only been up to £20.

If I lose my card or leave it somewhere, then in the interval between this and me realising it, there is a window where anyone can use it up to £30 at least once and then up to a finite but unspecified number of times until it requires a PIN or is cancelled. Whereas with C&P there isn't that risk.
    Nothing tin foil about that.
    The bank may well refund me as a PR exercise, but there is nothing to stop them saying that you failed to look after your card in accordance with the t&cs, so it's your look out.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    It's a simple observation that when you get a new card, then it is contactless, you don't have a choice.
    Correct, while some banks may give you a normal card if asked for, not all will and how long will they do that for anyway?
    Well, fraud would be low, as there isn't the opportunity to widely use them, and not everyone has them and the limit has only been up to £20.

If I lose my card or leave it somewhere, then in the interval between this and me realising it, there is a window where anyone can use it up to £30 at least once and then up to a finite but unspecified number of times until it requires a PIN or is cancelled. Whereas with C&P there isn't that risk.
    The bank may well refund me as a PR exercise, but there is nothing to stop them saying that you failed to look after your card in accordance with the t&cs, so it's your look out.

Someone typing sense. It seems strange how people now trusts banks after what they did a few years back and the tax payer bailing them out.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    It's a simple observation that when you get a new card, then it is contactless, you don't have a choice.

You do. Just don't use the contactless part of the card.
    Forum Member

There is a bigger risk if you have your card cloned and the person wipes out your account completely.

It's not a PR exercise on behalf of the banks. It's what has been agreed since the dawn of contactless. It will remain as well.

It is indeed tinfoil to keep making up scenarios and trying to rubbish something that is perfectly safe to use.

Mind you, the same happened with chip and pin. I'm sure noise moaned about that as well when it came out.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    People don't like it because I have a mind of my own, I do not follow the herd, because you think you have to.

It's not about following the herd! It's about choice. I find it very convenient to just tap my card for a quick purchase rather than waiting for the chip and pin to work.
    I have never ever thought they was evil, so where you are getting that crap from I don't know. What is wrong with not wanting one? My choice at the end of the day,. loads of people still pay using cash and do not use a card full stop

Actually, loads do not. You are in a very very small minority these days. Card whichever way you use it, is quicker.
    Not everyone is the same, thank goodness.,

No they aren't. Thankfully most people can see sense instead of making up nonsense.
    And you know this of cause, if it did not download, then why did I have two hidden directories on my computer, one of them full of Windows 10 set up files? If I have registered as you are making out I did, then why am I still getting nagged to update to Windows 10 since I allowed the nag back on?

Come on clever clogs, answer me that?

Because you inadvertently registered for it!! You would be the only person on the planet who had this issue if that was the case. If you don't register MS will NOT download the files. It's just that simple. I find it odd that the person who hates updates of any sort would have this problem.
    We all know people who have issues with things, I am grown up, i do not have to follow to follow the crowd like you seem to do. i have my own mind and do not need some
    one else to tell me how to think.

Yes, we do indeed. Just you seem to know people who have had issues with absolutely everything!
    You should try it sometime, you may see things in a different light instead of taking notice of big companies and the government.

I'm clever enough to do my own research and not rely on hearsay or guesswork that the tinfoil hat brigade spout out.
    Oh yes, but it makes your life easier, that is all right then.
    Maybe it is you that needs to grow up and grow a pair and stop following the crowd.

I don't need to. I can see when something is useful or not. Contactless is.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a bigger risk if you have your card cloned and the person wipes out your account completely.

It's not a PR exercise on behalf of the banks. It's what has been agreed since the dawn of contactless. It will remain as well.

It is indeed tinfoil to keep making up scenarios and trying to rubbish something that is perfectly safe to use.

Mind you, the same happened with chip and pin. I'm sure noise moaned about that as well when it came out.

Are you being paid to trot out rubbish like this?

People are making valid points about the security of these transactions, comparing a chip and pin - to a wave of a card at a machine.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed, fraud has to be proven. It is infinitely easier to make an unauthorised transaction with a contactless card, and if you can't prove a transaction was unauthorised, the banks would be within their rights to refuse refunds. Otherwise, you could potentially have a situation where fraud goes the other way, with some people making transactions, then claiming their card was stolen.

What's even more frightening is that some posters on here seem to think that £30 is an acceptable risk for convenience.
    Forum Member
    bingbong wrote: »
    Are you being paid to trot out rubbish like this?

People are making valid points about the security of these transactions, comparing a chip and pin - to a wave of a card at a machine.

Getting paid? What a stupid comment because i dare to have a different opinion. Are you being paid to spout out drivel like you are?

Everything has security problems somewhere down the line. Chip and pin has it, contactless has it as did it when we swiped the cards. Did that stop you using them? Didn't think so.
    Forum Member
    Ulysses777 wrote: »
    Indeed, fraud has to be proven. It is infinitely easier to make an unauthorised transaction with a contactless card, and if you can't prove a transaction was unauthorised, the banks would be within their rights to refuse refunds. Otherwise, you could potentially have a situation where fraud goes the other way, with some people making transactions, then claiming their card was stolen.

What's even more frightening is that some posters on here seem to think that £30 is an acceptable risk for convenience.

Fraud does have to be proven of course. However, i'm yet to hear one report about someone not being given their money back if their card was stolen and the contactless used.

I don't think anyone has said that £30 is an acceptable risk. I do say there is a risk, but its just as small as having your card cloned.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting paid? What a stupid comment because i dare to have a different opinion. Are you being paid to spout out drivel like you are?

It's complete scaremongering. Everything has security problems somewhere down the line. Chip and pin has it, contactless has it as did it when we swiped the cards. Did that stop you using them? Didn't think so.

Again, stop making comparisons between chip and pin and waving a card over the machine.

This is being done to reduce the cost of authentication by the banks, it is not in the public interest.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noise, just stop it now please. This is getting to be too much with your made up absolute nonsense over and over again. You are a laughing stock on here.

Fraud is tiny on contactles. The vast majority are happy with them and will continue to use them. Only the foolish tinfoil hat brigade like you seen to think they are evil.

We have all read your weird posts when it comes to any update for android, your hatred of contactless and mobile payments and now the other day I read your rubbish about windows 10 being offered free, how you didn't want it and somehow, only you had an issue where you claim you didn't reserve it yet it downloaded anyway....bullshit.

It's also funny how you always know someone who had had issues with things. Please grow up.

I don't think the poor chap can stop, he simply does not understand that his constant repetition annoys other members. He has put up over 120 posts on this thread, about 20% of the total which is ludicrous. Sad really.
    Forum Member
    Again, stop making comparisons between chip and pin and waving a card over the machine.

This is being done to reduce the cost of authentication by the banks, it is not in the public interest.

Again, no.

The cost of authentication?!! It still has to be authenticated, just in a different manner.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    My bank won't issue anything but contactless now which is a bit of a pain. I've never been keen on the idea of them, never really liked the idea of credit and debit cards in the first place but at least chip and pin was a bit safer.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    My bank won't issue anything but contactless now which is a bit of a pain. I've never been keen on the idea of them, never really liked the idea of credit and debit cards in the first place but at least chip and pin was a bit safer.

I was about as sceptical of them as you can get. Yet I soon became a convert almost the first time I used one.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whatever the reason for them (and I suspect you're wrong) it has given the consumer a fantastically quick way of transacting. It's the future and expanding rapidly, with mobile phone NFC the next growth area.

For me the argument of stolen cards doesn't wash. Advancements in technology shouldn't be dictated by the section of society who are incapable of keeping a card on their person.

Plus you can only make so many contactless transactions in a period of time before you're asked for your pin. Yes there's the chance of a small loss but then so is there if you lose your wallet/purse with cash in it.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Sweet

Happy days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can choose that, I can't stop an unauthorised person using that functionality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You just don't get it do you? It is still on the card and can be used if the card is lost or stolen.

As someone have already said, fraud may be small at the moment, but then apart from the big cities, contactless terminals are still a minority.
    Will it change once they get terminals in almost every shop and and get most of the population having these cards? I don't know, you don't know, no one knows.

Very true, as I have said before, I have had that more or less happened to me before, not the card cloned, but someone getting the details of it. How i do not know, but i am extra careful these days and put most of my wages into another account that do not have a card linked to it.

Just a way of the card companies trying to get us to spend more money soi they will have more money coming in. The more people they can get from using cash, the better it is for them.

I know it is also better for stores if everyone paid by card, no more transferring cash back and forward, but at the moment it don't matter if it is a few hundred or a few thousand they still have to do it.
    It will be a long time before cash goes out, even the government realise that otherwise they would not spend money on producing a plastic fiver and a plastic tenner the year after.

Be nice to see what they are like, I may never have to iron a five pound note again after washing it, not that I have done that for a long time.

We get this safe to use thing and then a few years down the line something happens and they say it is not so safe after all.

Did it? I thought most people took to chip and pin, I really had nothing against it, safe than relying on someone to check your signature, which with mine changes anyway and most of the time was not checked.
    Chip and pin got me using my card a bit more once it was rolled out every where.

It's not about following the herd! It's about choice. I find it very convenient to just tap my card for a quick purchase rather than waiting for the chip and pin to work.

choice? strange word that, you say it is about choice and I agree. So why do most bank insists on trying to force this system onto people?

Maybe they think that if they give people a contactless card, even those who do not want it may eventually use it and forget why they did not want one in the first place?

I admit when I had mine and used it the few times I did, it was quick, well sometimes, certainly in somewhere like Neros, but in supermarkets by the time they give you all the paper crap they give you the time saving is minimal. But it was this quickness and ease that made me think again about the security of it.

If I can do that so can someone else.

Actually, loads do not. You are in a very very small minority these days. Card whichever way you use it, is quicker.

Not as small as you think. granted most people I know do use cards, but half of all transactions still use cash. so not really a small minority at all

No they aren't. Thankfully most people can see sense instead of making up nonsense.

I can not see what is made up to be honest, the card is a security risk, are you saying that no one can take your contactless card and use it if you lose it? i know you keep on about us being protected, but I do think that protection will go eventually.

Because you inadvertently registered for it!! You would be the only person on the planet who had this issue if that was the case. If you don't register MS will NOT download the files. It's just that simple. I find it odd that the person who hates updates of any sort would have this problem.

Did I hell, if I did then
    (a) why is it not being downloaded now
    (b) why do that notice that MS insist in sticking on my computer still asking me to register and update?

Yes, we do indeed. Just you seem to know people who have had issues with absolutely everything!

What ever you think I do know one of person who seems to have issues with everything to be honest. Seems like nothing is right for her, but that is the way it goes.
    I'm clever enough to do my own research and not rely on hearsay or guesswork that the tinfoil hat brigade spout out.
    I don't need to. I can see when something is useful or not. Contactless is.

In other words you only see the one side. I do see both sides of the argument, I see where contactless can be useful and how quick it can be. I can see why people may want to use it,
    But i also see the other side and the other side and the other side is the worrying part.

I see the future for people of being tracked and kept a eye on, I see where every car will have some sort of tracking, a lot already got it, people will have no choice but to use a card when shopping, just so the government can watch what you are buying, for our own safety. We are already being tracked on the net, and that will get worse with the government wanting to log our calls, text and any other thing we use for communication and yet people seems happy to allow this to happen. Oh yes it is for our safety

Open your eyes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not read anything on that, so maybe you could furnish a link. I have read the T&Cs of my card and it is my responsibility to look after my card not the banks, so they could refuse to cover me up the point where I report it.

The PR bit is that they will highly likely refund people, but why have a system that allows unauthorised people easy access to (limited) funds, that means the rest of us have to pay for the fraud ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »

That is my point, surly you should the choice, something that Stiggles keep coming out with that it is about choice.
    But it will not be about choice soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was about as sceptical of them as you can get. Yet I soon became a convert almost the first time I used one.

And this is why they are chucking them at people as if they are sweets, let them try them and then they will convert.
    It did not work on me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus you can only make so many contactless transactions in a period of time before you're asked for your pin. Yes there's the chance of a small loss but then so is there if you lose your wallet/purse with cash in it.
    I appreciate that. The question I have is why design a system that allows that?
    I do various small work on systems and a lot of the time is spent trying to work out what could go wrong or what someone might try and do and prevent that occuring eg by not allowing them to proceed until errors are corrected.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The banks all say that a contactless card is as secure as a standard card and is covered to the same level, just report it when you realise you've lost it and you get refunded.

If people don't like these cards don't use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that. The question I have is why design a system that allows that?
    I do various small work on systems and a lot of the time is spent trying to work out what could go wrong or what someone might try and do and prevent that occuring eg by not allowing them to proceed until errors are corrected.

It is about money, the card companies and banks will get money each time we use the cards, if they make it easier and quicker, more of use will use them, so making them more money.

They take it that they are hoping they will make more money than they will lose by fraud. The same with supermakets and self scans, they know they will lose money by people either not scanning some things or by buying The best apples and putting in they got cheap apples, but the supermarkets hope that getting more customers through these checkouts faster and only needing one person to look after six checkouts will more than balance it out.

Not that I find them any faster to be honest if you got more than a few items.

neo_wales wrote: »
    The banks all say that a contactless card is as secure as a standard card and is covered to the same level, just report it when you realise you've lost it and you get refunded.

If people don't like these cards don't use it.

Nice of you to have so much trust in banks, the same banks which tax payers had to bail out.
    It is not about not using the cards, it is about the issuing of them,
    Take notice, you say I keep repeating things, well what do you expect when you do not bloody take notice.

I understand that you love all this stuff and need to use the latest thing and love being tracked, but some of us don't.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im not sure which is the most discussed thread...

contactless cards, how to evade the TV license or benefits/migrants.

thank god im going to work :)