Options

Katie Hopkins and Cilla Black

Comments

• Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I think she is absolutely spot on. There has been a rush to gush, and for the most part, it will be from people who simply have to get on board with whatever the latest sentiment-of-the-day is, because it's what they have to be seen to be doing, for their own benefit.

The reason her comment has caused such indignation is because it is true, and people don't like hearing the truth when it involves them being made to feel a bit embarrassed.

Spot on post :)

Love the BIBS as well. Although now it looks like I'm gushing.....which obviously I am :blush:

I really can't understand the mentality of a "celebrity" hearing bad news and their first thoughts is rushing to click on to Twitter to write some garbled comment.....although they've probably got their PA to do it for them on their behalf etc.....

If there is one thing I hate more than Facebook, it's bloody Twitter! >:(
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    The predictable troll very predictably trolling.

Not sure what's more depressing, her yet again being given the attention she desperately trolls for, or the idea that she's expressing a new or original thought re OTT outpourings following a celeb death.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Loathe the woman, but I think she's called it right. :blush:
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is absolutely spot on. There has been a rush to gush, and for the most part, it will be from people who simply have to get on board with whatever the latest sentiment-of-the-day is, because it's what they have to be seen to be doing, for their own benefit.

The reason her comment has caused such indignation is because it is true, and people don't like hearing the truth when it involves them being made to feel a bit embarrassed.

Hopkins may be right about this, but don't go making out that she's right on a lot of things. Hopkins just spouts a load of rubbish a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Spot on post :)

Love the BIBS as well. Although now it looks like I'm gushing.....which obviously I am :blush:

I really can't understand the mentality of a "celebrity" hearing bad news and their first thoughts is rushing to click on to Twitter to write some garbled comment.....although they've probably got their PA to do it for them on their behalf etc.....

If there is one thing I hate more than Facebook, it's bloody Twitter! >:(

The problem is that you cant unmake Twitter, Facebook and Social Media in general. There may be a rush to gush from some but there is also the knee jerk backlash which to be honest when someone has died so recently could be done without. Many of the response in the past would have been confined to the pub or workplace etc-but Social Media makes it available to the world and I don't think that always works for the best.

I cant say I was her greatest fan, but Cilla was a remarkable woman, chart topping singer, trail blazing live entertainment hostess and presenter of hugely successful and much loved formats-five decades worth of success. She should be getting the tribute.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Hopkins may be right about this, but don't go making out that she's right on a lot of things. Hopkins just spouts a load of rubbish a lot of the time.

I didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't.

Okay. I thought you were saying that was the case.
  • Options
    Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Hopkins right? If anyone wants to offer condolences or speak about Cilla after her death surely it's their business. Katie Hopkins is a sick nasty troll.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willow33 wrote: »
    Why is Hopkins right? If anyone wants to offer condolences or speak about Cilla after her death surely it's their business. Katie Hopkins is a sick nasty troll.

She undeniably is.>:(.but why famous folk feel the need to publicly extend their sympathies via twitter , in such a public way, is to me, self serving and totally unacceptable.

If they are such good friends with the deceased (RIP) send a letter or call with condolences to her/his immediate family.
  • Options
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    To be fair, Lionel has always been like that about almost everyone within his showbiz generation and rather betrays a typical 60's/70's attitude-many variety acts and celebrities of the time were generally equally as gushing about each other onscreen, panel shows for instance were just luvvy love ins most of the time.

As for Katie, well she has taken a route to celebrity that would not have been open to her back in Lionels heyday and basically does the only thing that can keep her in the public eye-writes largely outrageous insensitive and appalling stuff designed specifically to get a reaction.. Arguably if everyone ignored her she wouldn't be in a that job. Easier said than done though.

You've reminded me of the running joke about Ernie Wise in his post Eric Morcombe/Pre Death era, whenever a celeb from his era died he was wheeled out to give an obit about them yet always seemed to be klinging on himself.

All respect due it is a sad thing for her family but all the tributes do seem a bit overdone, and I'm surprised how popular and influential she's allegedly been.

Three questions I have, I've read in seperate reports that both David Cameron and Bruce Forsyth have "led tributes to her"

1) What does it mean to lead tributes?

2) Is one persons tribute more sincere than everyone elses?

3) So who is the lead tribute maker here, Davey or Brucie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you there. However, I suspect that a lot of celebrities are jumping on the 'grief' bandwagon in order to try and get on the public's good side in order to try and improve their TV career. Some will be genuine though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah, course they can offer condolences. But just as they have the right to do so, she has the same freedom to quite rightly point out that many people will just bandwagon for the sake of it, or for the benefit of their own public image, actually caring little for Cilla.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect Katie's surgery is so that she can get fitted out with a brain. Maybe the Wizard has a heart she can borrow too.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She undeniably is.>:(.but why famous folk feel the need to publicly extend their sympathies via twitter , in such a public way, is to me, self serving and totally unacceptable.

If they are such good friends with the deceased (RIP) send a letter or call with condolences to her/his immediate family.
    Because there is nothing too personal not to share amongst the lower ranks of showbiz. These people would sell their own nose drippings to get their faces in the SOS so the chance to eulogize someone they met for10 minutes once can't be passed by.
    Have Katona, Price, Andre or Marsh (K) offered their opinion yet?
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andre has - and I think Marsh (K) as well.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the idea of what Katie's saying here but, as with many of her comments that I've initially agreed with, she takes it too far by phrasing it in a way that's clearly intended to rile people.

She'd be a lot better if she stopped worrying about maintaining her 'troll' reputation.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It worries me that I agree with her, but I don't see anything wrong with people taking to social media to outpour their grief, it is the fashion these days to publicly grieve for people you never met. Personally I can feel sympathy in private.

As for the candle, flower and teddy bear brigade as I call them, who turn up at the place of a tragedy, to outpour grief over a stranger, I don't get it, and find it intrusive to the bereaved. Even kids are expected to be sufficiently traumatised that they require counselling, and if they aren't the counsellors are there to find out why.

Lord Sugar having a hissy fit made me laugh, he should ignore her not feed her ego by bothering to reply.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    paralax wrote: »
    It worries me that I agree with her, but I don't see anything wrong with people taking to social media to outpour their grief, it is the fashion these days to publicly grieve for people you never met. Personally I can feel sympathy in private.

As for the candle, flower and teddy bear brigade as I call them, who turn up at the place of a tragedy, to outpour grief over a stranger, I don't get it, and find it intrusive to the bereaved. Even kids are expected to be sufficiently traumatised that they require counselling, and if they aren't the counsellors are there to find out why.

Lord Sugar having a hissy fit made me laugh, he should ignore her not feed her ego by bothering to reply.

This is so true. It is so common now but still makes me feel uncomfortable. I too believe true grieving is something that should be done in private.

I'm afraid Lionel Blair will do anything to get himself in the public eye these days. He was interviewed for Radio Five Live when the news broke, with another friend of Cilla's, who couldn't get a word in edgewise for Lionel's blathering. I think true friends would be too upset at the news to want to speak publicly about her.
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I agree with the idea of what Katie's saying here but, as with many of her comments that I've initially agreed with, she takes it too far by phrasing it in a way that's clearly intended to rile people.

She'd be a lot better if she stopped worrying about maintaining her 'troll' reputation.

Her troll reputation is all she has. She had an opportunity to change the narrative post-CBB but reverted immediately to grim, nasty type.

Trolling is the only way she can keep herself 'relevant'.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem this women now has is she talks to shock, to continue to be "relevant" she has to continue to ratch it up a notch with each outburst, after a while though these outbursts could be as vile as they come, people start to be less shocked by what she says & hence people are less upset & interested by what she says.
    The woman has a certain shelf life with her outbursts, I for one am just glad she has probably overdone it in the last year or so, at this rate no-one will give a toss what she has to say sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    This is so true. It is so common now but still makes me feel uncomfortable. I too believe true grieving is something that should be done in private.

I'm afraid Lionel Blair will do anything to get himself in the public eye these days. He was interviewed for Radio Five Live when the news broke, with another friend of Cilla's, who couldn't get a word in edgewise for Lionel's blathering. I think true friends would be too upset at the news to want to speak publicly about her.
    The luvvies of showbusiness arent like the rest of us though.. they see themselves always as NO 1
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Who IS Katie Hopkins?! I've never heard of her. I see her name and the desperate things she says to get attention, but I've no idea who she is.

is she some reality TV nobody? I've never watched reality TV so I don't know anyone who became 'famous' for that.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Who IS Katie Hopkins?! I've never heard of her. I see her name and the desperate things she says to get attention, but I've no idea who she is.

is she some reality TV nobody? I've never watched reality TV so I don't know anyone who became 'famous' for that.

I think she flunked out of "The Apprentice" a few years back. She realized people got their panties in a twist over her nasty demeanour and has been making money off the back of that ever since. Some might claim that she's not trolling and just offering her genuine, however odious, opinion on matters, but she once commented regarding children's name that she hates when parents give their child a geographical name. Her own daughter is named India. :D So she's either a stupendous moron in not realizing India is a country or she's trolling. You decide. Bit of both? :)
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Katie Hopkins a man in a wig?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »

If you had simply Googled two words "Katie Hopkins", you would get a detailed explanation of who she is, such is the power of the interweb.