Options

Speeding Ticket - 66 in a 50 mph

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got a ticket for 32 in a 30mph zone at 7.30 in morning with absolutely nothing on the road apart from me.

The black box had been hidden behind a pay machine and my speed detector was disconnected and in the glove compartment!!!:mad:
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    An officer who would charge someone with doing, say, 32mph is just being vindictive and petty and/or on a bit of a power trip.
    I agree totally, just saying they can do you for anything over the stated speed limit if they want, there are also quotas they need to fill too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    i got caught doing 114 mph on A66 coming back from the lake district , i got a £40 fine and 3 points , and before anyone says anything i am not bragging just showing an example ;) , the copper said to me ' although you were going far too quickly i was watching you and considered you were driving safely ' and therefore i am prepared to give you a fixed penalty , if you choose not too accept this then it will go to court and you will get banned , the voice of reason or was the copper wrong , opinions please , oh , and by the way , please dont flame , i have had a bad enough day already :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got caught doing 114 mph on A66 coming back from the lake district , i got a £40 fine and 3 points...
    I think you got off far too lightly. A more appropriate penalty would have been a heavy fine and a ban. 114mph is much too fast on a public road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I'm relieved that others have been fined for doing just over 30, I was begining to think that it was just me!

I was flashed by a camera (even though I didn't see it flash) on a road with no speed signs. I thought, it's 30 or 40, so I'll drive around 35mph just to be safe.

It would be much easier if the cameras had speed signs on them.
    My going over the speed limit just by 3mph cost me £60 fine and then my insurance went up £50
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    I think you got off far too lightly. A more appropriate penalty would have been a heavy fine and a ban. 114mph is much too fast on a public road.

on a deserted road in good conditions in a good car , just shows how wrong blanket speed limits can be :):)
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member

I disagree, the A66 is a high quality dual carriageway. Whilst he was driving excessively fast, it is still possible to be safe at that speed. Especially on an empty dual carriageway.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on a deserted road in good conditions in a good car , just shows how wrong blanket speed limits can be :):)
    I admit that I don't know the A66. I'm aware of its former reputation as one of the most dangerous roads in Britain, though it may well be that road improvements have changed that.

Nevertheless, regardless of road conditions, of the vehicle you were driving and of your confidence in your driving ability, 115mph is too fast for a public road. If you want to drive fast, take up racing or rallying; don't do it on a public road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    *Jim* wrote: »
    Ask to see the video evidence and if you cannot see who is driving the car, contest it.

I did and the ticket was revoked.
    Is it as simple as phoning or emailing the prosecutor, to ask to see the video/photo?
    If you do, does the points and fine still stand, or would then open up a court hearing?

I unfortuantely got caught (by a guy hiding with a speed gun) doing 62 in a 40 limit :o - 3 points and £60 fine... 3 years later, that luckily expired.
    Then recently (2 months ago now) I got caught doing 40 in a 30 limit! But the camera is placed just after the limit goes from a 40 to a 30! :mad: (It was when I pulled out of work, and it flashed me!)

Still the same fixed penalty and I think just the same points for both occasions is outrageous!
    Obviously nothing I could do, so I paid it to avoid the situation getting worse. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    i got caught doing 114 mph on A66 coming back from the lake district , i got a £40 fine and 3 points

You didn't just get lucky ..... you got a miracle!

They will normally hammer you for that sort of speed!

(Unless you are an off duty copper 'practicing' of course)
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, 30mph over the limit is usually an instant ban.:eek:
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds odd. I thought that legally you were allowed to be 10% over the limit to allow for speedometer error?

That's just a recommendation, but considering no speedo can legally under-read, it's never going to be an issue in the real world.

Most speedos are set to overread by around 3-4mph (to take into account different wheel/tyre sizes, tyre pressures etc and therefore guarantee it can never show a lower speed than you are doing), so those getting done for 33 in a 30 will have probably had 35 or above on their speedo.

In other words, the police will do you for a lower speed than you thought you were doing.

FWIW, when I got stopped by Thames Valley police they said there was nothing wrong with my driving (despite me peaking at nearly 120mph) but I should consider other road users. It was 2am and they put me down as doing 98.6mph to keep it below 100mph and avoid a ban. Did get 6 points, so goodness knows how doing 114mph gets you 3 points. Presumably it was put down on record as being somewhat less.

All this shows that having real police (not faceless cameras) is the sensible approach. Now my crazy speeds are saved for when I'm in Germany. Ironic really that their roads are often just two lanes and I can do 120mph at any time of the day legally, yet here a 3-lane motorway built to allow speeds of over 100mph on bends (from the days where we didn't have limits) will land you points, a possible ban and screams of "Burn him" from the do-gooders!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    sorry mrs o :o

meant on motorways ;) :rolleyes: :D
    Hmm, I'm sure you did.

Speeding is wrong, end of. Why try justify yourself just because of the type of road you were on...?
    MrsOggy wrote: »
    Sorry for missunderstanding you post but it didnt say motorway anywhere in it :)
    Why should you be sorry, speeding is speeding, no matter what road it's on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Em* wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm sure you did.

Speeding is wrong, end of. Why try justify yourself just because of the type of road you were on...?

So doing 33 in a 30 is no worse than doing 114 on NSL?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    So doing 33 in a 30 is no worse than doing 114 on NSL?
    What's NSL?

Anyway, I'm not saying I don't speed - I just don't try and justify that it was 'okay because the roads were quiet' or 'well all the other cars around me were going 10mph faster than I was' etc etc.

If you're gonna speed be prepared for criticism and be prepared for the fines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's NSL?

Anyway, I'm not saying I don't speed - I just don't try and justify that it was 'okay because the roads were quiet' or 'well all the other cars around me were going 10mph faster than I was' etc etc.

NSL - National Speed Limit (60 on S2, 70 on D2/Mways)
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I'm sure you did.

So all speeding on any road no matter what the conditions is wrong?

OK why is it wrong?
  • Options
    snuggle bubblesnuggle bubble Posts: 3,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I'm sure you did.

What's NSL?

Pot and kettle springs to mind
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it as simple as phoning or emailing the prosecutor, to ask to see the video/photo?
    If you do, does the points and fine still stand, or would then open up a court hearing?

I unfortuantely got caught (by a guy hiding with a speed gun) doing 62 in a 40 limit :o - 3 points and £60 fine... 3 years later, that luckily expired.
    Then recently (2 months ago now) I got caught doing 40 in a 30 limit! But the camera is placed just after the limit goes from a 40 to a 30! :mad: (It was when I pulled out of work, and it flashed me!)

Still the same fixed penalty and I think just the same points for both occasions is outrageous!
    Obviously nothing I could do, so I paid it to avoid the situation getting worse. :(

Exactly..........and the government knows 99% of motorists will just cough up without a fight.

Next time you get a ticket, go to the library and get a book called the "Hughes book of Traffic law" and go to the speed camera section and read up on your rights.;)
  • Options
    metafismetafis Posts: 11,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    All this shows that having real police (not faceless cameras) is the sensible approach. Now my crazy speeds are saved for when I'm in Germany. Ironic really that their roads are often just two lanes and I can do 120mph at any time of the day legally, yet here a 3-lane motorway built to allow speeds of over 100mph on bends (from the days where we didn't have limits) will land you points, a possible ban and screams of "Burn him" from the do-gooders!

The perils of driving to fast on motorways. This clip is in Croatia I think. warning, bit graphic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5KH269CbX4

or this one, in the USA, ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xDDOSIPEdw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So all speeding on any road no matter what the conditions is wrong?

OK why is it wrong?
    Erm, perhaps because it's the law.
    Pot and kettle springs to mind
    I'm not trying to justify my actions.
  • Options
    BellaaahhhhBellaaahhhh Posts: 19,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I attended an inquest once and as it was some way away from my home we were taken by police car. I noticed that there were two speedometers fitted in the car and was told that this is because most speedometers aren't very accurate so the police cars had special ones fitted.

The police driver also took glee in showing us how fast the car could go and went at over 100 mph on the motorway to show us some of what the car could do.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was cynical when I got sent on a speeding course. It was all very lighthearted and jokey, until they showed a clip of a child being hit at 40mph.

You have to ask yourself - could you live knowing that you'd taken somebody else's life, just because you felt like 'putting your foot down?'
  • Options
    lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very soon if you get done for 10mph over the spped limit you will get 6 points and £120 fine. also if it is on a wet road you could end up in court, you could also end up in court if you get done for doing 10 mph over the limit in any 30 mph zone or 20 mph zone.

if you are done 10 mph over in a 20 zone you soon will get a ban, as most of the are outside schools.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Exactly..........and the government knows 99% of motorists will just cough up without a fight.
    Quite, so surely there should be something we can do, so at times when we're only a few mph over the limit, they only send out a fine and no points! Maybe that's just wishful thinking :(
    Next time you get a ticket, go to the library and get a book called the "Hughes book of Traffic law" and go to the speed camera section and read up on your rights.;)
    I'm really hoping there won't be a next time! (touch wood)

Think there's a website somewhere about that book, or something similar */me checks*