Options

New iPod

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    They're not, the new 120GB is the same price as the old 80GB.

The 80gb was £159, the 120GB is £179. Where did you get your prices from? Plus I was going to get a discount through work making the 80GB £140.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure whether to get 8GB or 16GB Touch? How big are the game apps?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 80gb was £159, the 120GB is £179. Where did you get your prices from? Plus I was going to get a discount through work making the 80GB £140.

I got my prices from the keynote in which steve said it was the same price. It appears in the USA it is the same price $249 but in the UK they put it up 20 quid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure whether to get 8GB or 16GB Touch? How big are the game apps?

It varies alot, for example:

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D - 7MB
    Super Monkey Ball - 36.1MB
    Spore Origins - 79.9MB

Generally speaking 8GB will be enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my prices from the keynote in which steve said it was the same price. It appears in the USA it is the same price $249 but in the UK they put it up 20 quid.

Ah ok, well am not sure what to do now. Definitely need a lot of space as i back up things on there, so the ipod touch is not enough, which is a shame as it looks good. Unless I got the 32gb which is just about enough, but a lot more. Am I likely to find free wireless in a lot of places?

I can only find the 80GB for £159 which is £10 less than what I can get the 120GB for, so i might as well get it, regrettably. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It varies alot, for example:

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D - 7MB
    Super Monkey Ball - 36.1MB
    Spore Origins - 79.9MB

Generally speaking 8GB will be enough.

can I remove games from my touch but keep them on iTunes, in essence swap them about at my wim? Im just thinking TV shows and movies must also take quite a bit ol room
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can I remove games from my touch but keep them on iTunes, in essence swap them about at my wim? Im just thinking TV shows and movies must also take quite a bit ol room

You can remove them from your touch and they will stay in iTunes just like music, although i'm unsure if game saves will be preserved if that's an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can remove them from your touch and they will stay in iTunes just like music, although i'm unsure if game saves will be preserved if that's an issue.

cheers, still difficult to make a decision
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers, still difficult to make a decision

Tell me about it, when i got the iPhone 3G I wasn't sure how much room I would need and because I was going to be stuck with it for 18 month I went for the 16GB even though i'm using like 4GB of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is i have 6 eps of LOST on iTunes and it takes up over 3 gig, my music is currently at 4.09 gig so i doubt that would max 8 out, but 2 or 3 films here and there and i expect to hit 8 pretty soon

although if i went with 8 i could get Nike+ shiz which i need and either better headphones or protection plan for the price of the 16gb.
  • Options
    C8XYC8XY Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is i have 6 eps of LOST on iTunes and it takes up over 3 gig, my music is currently at 4.09 gig so i doubt that would max 8 out, but 2 or 3 films here and there and i expect to hit 8 pretty soon

although if i went with 8 i could get Nike+ shiz which i need and either better headphones or protection plan for the price of the 16gb.

Get the 16, even though it says 8gb it comes up as 7.xxgb in iTunes, my 16gb says 14.xxgb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the videos are converted for the iPhones when synced so they will take up less room than 500MB per episode.
  • Options
    jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Apple refurb store is often used to shift old stock. Keep an eye out there for older generation iPods.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    Hope you can actually get these new iPods out of their plastic holder!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you get edu discount on ipods?
  • Options
    C8XYC8XY Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you get edu discount on ipods?

Doesnt look like it...

http://store.apple.com/uk-edu
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Hi, i ordered one this morning and it said 1-3 working days for delivery but i have just been on play.com and they say they are not released until the 22nd sept, is this true or are they available now. ( I orderd from the Apple Store UK).?
  • Options
    jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Available now.

The education discount was scrapped on iPods three or four years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so am i right in thinking the Ipod touch fits in the Nike arm strap?
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad the Classics haven't changed much cause I picked up my 80gb one in July for £140 off Amazon..

I'm not sure I buy this new "Genius" feature though ... the way they describe it just doesn't convince me.. what exactly do they go on when they say, they match up songs that "go together"...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammers wrote: »
    Available now.

The education discount was scrapped on iPods three or four years ago.

Balls. Was planning to use that.

Come on, I'll put language lessons on there...its educational :p
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I'm not suprised they have discontinued the 160gb Classic. I can't imagine they sold that well... How many people would seriously require that much space on a portable music player.

I've been doing a bit of research on these new generatoins and i'm so pleased I didn't buy one the other week like I was planning on. These new ones look fantastic :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the videos are converted for the iPhones when synced so they will take up less room than 500MB per episode.

Not likely. Converting h.264 takes a fair bit of time and processing power. If it did syncing would take hours.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised they still sell classics, do people really need to carry there whole music collection everywhere with them?

well, yeah - that's kind of the whole point, surely?

no more 'd'oh! i wish i had such and such an album with me....'.

if i'm out and about, i often think on the spot what i want to listen to - so if i have my whole collection, i know i'm going to have it.

that's the whole beauty of it.

Iain
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i'm sure you'll still be able to buy 80GB ones for a while.

John Lewis / Waitrose are usually very good at discounting old models to shift them before the new ones come in.

Iain