Fifteen to One starts again next Saturday

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I think you will find that the original was a daytime show! The new series is on every day Mon-Fri at 4.30.

I'm aware of that. I used to rush home from school to watch it every day. But daytime TV is inherently dumb (15 to One, like Countdown, being a rare exception) and it's arguably even more dumb now than it ever was when 15 to One first aired. I doubt the reboot will be bucking that trend.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be interesting to see how the new show pans out. I dont think anyone could replicate Bill Stewart but will give Sandi Toksvig a chance as the show itself was so good. I hope they retain the concept of quick firing and fairly difficult questions to up the ante from some of the dumbed down afternoon quiz shows weve seen over the last couple of years
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If they're going to change it that much, why bother resurrecting an old, much loved tv series at all? Why not create a brand new, chatty quiz format or are channel 4 totally devoid of original ideas now? Stupid question, really. :(
    It's because the celeb version was successful on the C4 anniversary night.
    The celeb version was szanny and dumbed down like you would expect but I hope the series is more like the original. It sounds as though they are doing some chat and getting to know you stuff which I could do without and I suspect many agree as it was something that the original didn't have and why it was loved.
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    If they're going to change it that much, why bother resurrecting an old, much loved tv series at all? Why not create a brand new, chatty quiz format or are channel 4 totally devoid of original ideas now? Stupid question, really. :(

The C4 of old always used to fob off any popular demand for remakes with the line that it is not in their remit to even consider them. So, the fact that this is even happening probably answers your question.

I will give it a shot as I have fond memories of the show and quite like Sandi, but an hour, really? I wouldn't be dreading it as much if it were half an hour, or even 45 minutes.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's because the celeb version was successful on the C4 anniversary night.
    The celeb version was szanny and dumbed down like you would expect but I hope the series is more like the original. It sounds as though they are doing some chat and getting to know you stuff which I could do without and I suspect many agree as it was something that the original didn't have and why it was loved.

Me too. The implication of course is that the original format of the show and the type of questions asked was in some way imperfect and it needs perfecting, and making more popular, by having a random celebrity doing the presenting and including inane drivel about people's private lives. I don't care what someone does for a living, where they come from or how they feel getting to the final round.

As I said, I hope the whole thing crashes and burns. That'll teach them to mess with highly-thought of formats.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be completely wrong, but something at the back of my mind tells me that William G Stewart owns the original format.

Edit: Yes, I was completely wrong. :) The format is owned by a company called DRG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Just like when ITV brought back Through the Keyhole - how dumbed down can you get (although I actually enjoyed that!)

15-1 doesn't need "getting to know you" with it's contestants - who cares about their story, they'll be gone within three episodes! Just get on with the game!
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I may be completely wrong, but something at the back of my mind tells me that William G Stewart owns the original format.

Edit: Yes, I was completely wrong. :) The format is owned by a company called DRG.

I thought he did too, which is why I was surprised that he'd let it be so violated. Turns out he doesn't, unfortunately.

The fact it's on Saturday tea-time tells us everything we need to know about it.
    Forum Member
    Ozcabs wrote: »
    Just like when ITV brought back Through the Keyhole - how dumbed down can you get (although I actually enjoyed that!)

15-1 doesn't need "getting to know you" with it's contestants - who cares about their story, they'll be gone within three episodes! Just get on with the game!

Good question. Is anyone ever interested in the background stories of various contestants??
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozcabs wrote: »

Absolutely right! What made it so good was that there was ZERO inane banter, even to the extent of introducing us to the guests during the opening music. Perfect but I fear 15 to 1 MKII will simply prove that the days of quality daytime quiz shows are long gone.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,078
    Forum Member
    Being honest, the fact it's been extended for 'padding' and the fact it has someone who we're told wants to build a relationship with the contestants is a worry. It's why I generally record and fast forward through Pointless (which I really like), as I have no interest in the fluff. Basically, it ought to be how it used to be, no farting about, just quick fire questions, no fluff, and get on with it.

I'm willing to give it a try, but I'd be lying if I said I feel the new version will be an improvement in ANY way over the William G Stewart version. I might be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not counting on it.

In response to Kapellmeister's question, quite simply no, nobody gives a flying monkeys nuts about a contestant's story, I've no doubt everyone is happy enough to just hear "I'm Bill from Clyde" rather than "I'm Bill from Clyde, I work in IT, I used to be a semi professional footballer and now live with my wife and 3 kids, and I enjoy reading, watching TV and having a few drinks with my friends, I also once met Cheryl Cole backstage at an awards ceremony and got her to autograph my chest"
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact it's on Saturday tea-time tells us everything we need to know about it.
    While I strongly suspect that you're totally correct in this case, that time slot isn't necessarily the waste bin of television. For example, there was a rather successful series that used to be shown then in which two teachers were kidnapped by the grandfather of one of their pupils...
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think the G in William G. Stewart stood for "Git".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandy Toskvig on the One Show - mainly about her same sex wedding, but some stuff on 15 to 1. Not only does she "get to know the contestants" but also she "can't stop herself from comedy"....

I don't hold out much hope
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    Sandy Toskvig on the One Show - mainly about her same sex wedding, but some stuff on 15 to 1. Not only does she "get to know the contestants" but also she "can't stop herself from comedy"....

I don't hold out much hope

Nor do I frankly.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »

I am sure she won't be cracking a joke after every question..just adding in a little something here and there..surely that isn't the end of the world? I would be surprised that she would try and get to know all 15 contestants..surely that part would be when they have whittled down?
    Of course I could be completely wrong but I will see on saturday first and then post my disgust lol (if I am)
    Forum Member
    She also said because they get three episodes she gets to learn their dreams

:(
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can we get this clear, the new series is on Monday to Friday at 4.30pm. The Saturday slot would appear to be an introductory one off (unless it's going to be on six days a week).
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    She also said because they get three episodes she gets to learn their dreams

:(

lol! Is that a sick joke? :D:confused:
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol! Is that a sick joke? :D:confused:

I presumes she meant "off screen" she finds out what they want to do if they won the money
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Can we get this clear, the new series is on Monday to Friday at 4.30pm. The Saturday slot would appear to be an introductory one off (unless it's going to be on six days a week).

It's not scheduled for the following Saturday. 20 episodes over 4 weeks was what I gathered. Of course, with this Saturday show, there are now 19 to run over the weekdays, so it will either end early or be interrupted, somewhere.
    Forum Member
    I presumes she meant "off screen" she finds out what they want to do if they won the money
    Unfortunately i'm thinking that in parts of the show they will stop for a breather and will be asked the ubiquitous question of 'What will you do with the money if you win?"
  • SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it is unfair to judge the programme before we've seen it. But this is from the promo material on the Channel 4 website:

"Each hour long episode showcases Sandi Toksvig's camaraderie with the contestants,and throughout the show she will also offer up her near boundless knowledge on the topics that arise."

I don't recall William G. Stewart ever doing any of that. He just got on with asking the questions. It doesn't sound good. But we shall see.

A friend of mine is on Monday's show. He has not told me how he got on. I shall be watching with interest.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it is unfair to judge the programme before we've seen it. But this is from the promo material on the Channel 4 website:

"Each hour long episode showcases Sandi Toksvig's camaraderie with the contestants,and throughout the show she will also offer up her near boundless knowledge on the topics that arise."

I don't recall William G. Stewart ever doing any of that. He just got on with asking the questions. It doesn't sound good. But we shall see.

A friend of mine is on Monday's show. He has not told me how he got on. I shall be watching with interest.

It sounds awful.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question please
    :kitty: