Trivial things that annoy you intensely. (Part 3)

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who don't realise Mom is also used in the UK and NOT an Americanisim.
    It is most definitely an Americanism. I have never heard an English person use it in my entire life.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    It is most definitely an Americanism. I have never heard an English person use it in my entire life.

"Mom" is used a lot in the west midlands. I think it's a feature of the brummy/black country accent. I used to live with a girl from Wolverhampton who said "mom" rather than "mum", and it sounded perfectly natural in her accent.

So no, it is not "most definitely" an Americanism at all.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    "Mom" is used a lot in the west midlands. I think it's a feature of the brummy/black country accent. I used to live with a girl from Wolverhampton who said "mom" rather than "mum", and it sounded perfectly natural in her accent.

So no, it is not "most definitely" an Americanism at all.

Ha ^_^:p

And this is why it needs a sticky thread, it must be up there with the most discussed subjects on here.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    That eccles still thinks centring posts is a good thing, and that cessna carries on believing that removing quote code from quoted posts is cute and interesting, as opposed to it bearing all the hallmarks of an affectation.

>>>>> my ar....
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    People who value animals/pets over humans.

Headline: Man kicks dog
    Person: I hope he gets sent to prison and he is raped and murdered :mad:

Headline: Parents abuse child and lock him in cupboard. Child finally dies of starvation.
    Person: Meh ^_^
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current alleged joke that's doing the rounds on YouTube. Somebody asks what a song used in a non-music video is called and somebody else replies "Darude - Sandstorm", even though it's a completely different song.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    People who French kiss their dogs BLUGH :o
    Going to the cinema and getting people still walking in 10 mins after the film has actually started.

Sorry :blush:
    Forum Member
    Sex wrote: »
    People who French kiss their dogs BLUGH :o
    I've got a friend who does that.

One night she came in and the first thing she did was pet her dog and start kissing it.

I said we've seen what she's been licking all night while you've been out.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That spoon in the sink that just happens to be directly under the water tap when you turn it on.
    Forum Member
    Junctions with a new lane system that you only spot at the last minute and so do a dangerous swerve to get into the right lane :blush:
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    That eccles still thinks centring posts is a good thing, and that cessna carries on believing that removing quote code from quoted posts is cute and interesting, as opposed to it bearing all the hallmarks of an affectation.

>>>>> my ar....

This. This. A thousand times this.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    People who value animals/pets over humans.

Headline: Man kicks dog
    Person: I hope he gets sent to prison and he is raped and murdered :mad:

Headline: Parents abuse child and lock him in cupboard. Child finally dies of starvation.
    Person: Meh ^_^

This. This. A thousand times this.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pronunciation of data - it should be dayta not darrrrrrta, dammit.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Pronunciation of data - it should be dayta not darrrrrrta, dammit.

Isn't one American and one British :confused:

Having said that, I pronounce 'schedule' the American way ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Isn't one American and one British :confused:
    been watching Farscape and she says darrrrrrrta so methinks you're right.
    Having said that, I pronounce 'schedule' the American way ;-)
    Schedule is my :D one - if someone says skedule, I say, no it's shhedule; but if someone says shhedule, I say, no it's skedule. - Sometimes I'm a dick. :p
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've got a friend who does that.

One night she came in and the first thing she did was pet her dog and start kissing it.

I said we've seen what she's been licking all night while you've been out.

Were you talking to your friend or the dog?
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you buy someone a drink then they go to the bar and just buy the next one for themselves!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    When you buy someone a drink then they go to the bar and just buy the next one for themselves!!
    Some people need the rules spelt out for them. :)

and one from me: http://i59.tinypic.com/2u93m0n.jpg >:(
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids who run around the supermarket like they are in a playground, and the parents who let them.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who type a lot as one word (alot). I detest it, and recently I've seen a bit typed as one word (abit). Why do people do this?

I really hate to see it! There are no such words as 'alot' or 'abit'.
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    ^I hate that too! I don't know how people can think it's right as "a" and "lot" are clearly two different words.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    ^I hate that too! I don't know how people can think it's right as "a" and "lot" are clearly two different words.

Exactly! Is it really so difficult to put a space between them!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do it alot but it's just outta 'abit. :D
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who type a lot as one word (alot). I detest it, and recently I've seen a bit typed as one word (abit). Why do people do this?

You might like to read this blog then - she wonders where this mysterious alot creature comes from too. :D

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    You might like to read this blog then - she wonders where this mysterious alot creature comes from too. :D

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

I might have to adopt the same coping mechanism, and create an abit creature :D
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    The word property when its used to describe your own home or one you are looking to buy.

Its used all the time on shows like escape to the country and i hate it. Its the way people refer to the place they live in as their property rather than house or home. It sounds so clinical and emotionless.

I dont mind it in other contexts but it just seems like the place youve lived in for 20 years that youve put time and effort into making it suit you should be recognised as a "home" rather than just a "property".
This discussion has been closed.