Options

Wall to Wall Tennis

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh how awful, the BBC is actually showing some sport and something which is genuinely popular. What are people going to do without two weeks of Escape to the Country repeats and Pointless, not to mention the world's most boring quiz, Eggheads? Also I'd much rather see two pretty girls in short skirts playing tennis than some jumped up egomaniac like CJ belittling some seventy year old pub quizzer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Point is probably about 65% of the sports budget from the license dependant channels devoting many hours a day simultaneously on two flagship channels to meaningless games.

Already this event took the available funds away from non-saturation live broadcasting of other top sporting events F1, Horse Racing, Soccer, Rugby - already gone to Sky, that's why any sports fan needs to get Sky. Just the arrogance of the beeb assuming that everyone would be OK with this. Crikey, the soccer world Cup comes around every 4 years and is spread between 2 broadcasters without clashing schedules.

In a few years this will be the only sport on the BBC and still broadcast in the same manner and TBH I would much sooner watch Pointless 6 hours a day for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been entertained since Saturday on tv. I might have watched an hour of tennis in total.

Next week there is wall to wall tour de france. Just on itv4 you understand.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Wrong, Italia 90'. Against the Germans. Gazza's tears, penalty shootout heartbreak and all that. ;-)

PS
    England's women have lost too. :(

Sorry, twenty-five years is still a long time ago. Guess it was less memorable for me than '66 when we actually won something.

Yeah.

A dodgy penalty and an own goal. What a way to go.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Point is probably about 65% of the sports budget from the license dependant channels devoting many hours a day simultaneously on two flagship channels to meaningless games.

Already this event took the available funds away from non-saturation live broadcasting of other top sporting events F1, Horse Racing, Soccer, Rugby - already gone to Sky, that's why any sports fan needs to get Sky. Just the arrogance of the beeb assuming that everyone would be OK with this. Crikey, the soccer world Cup comes around every 4 years and is spread between 2 broadcasters without clashing schedules.

In a few years this will be the only sport on the BBC and still broadcast in the same manner and TBH I would much sooner watch Pointless 6 hours a day for 2 weeks.

World Cup match schedules don't clash, that's news to me.
    I'm going to watch Bob Mitchum in a 70's Noir, Friends of Eddie Coyle, you could do something similar.
    Delete, I shouldn't feed into this foolishness.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World Cup match schedules don't clash, that's news to me.
    I'm going to watch Bob Mitchum in a 70's Noir, Friends of Eddie Coyle, you could do something similar.
    Delete, I shouldn't feed into this foolishness.

Great film, I've got that.

I though Mitchum's best "Film Noir" was "Out of the Past" with Jane Greer.

Sometimes, "the best thing on TV, " is for me, a selection from my Film Noir collection
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    The long and short of it basically is "shut up, stop whinging, go do something else with your life or change channel rather than blabbering on about there being something on TV that you don't like for a couple of weeks a year".

That's about as kind as I can be about it.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A post which demonstrates how futile this debate is.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    The long and short of it basically is "shut up, stop whinging, go do something else with your life or change channel rather than blabbering on about there being something on TV that you don't like for a couple of weeks a year".

That's about as kind as I can be about it.

About the strength of it, it's a broadcaster, the bit to remember is the broad, which some people don't seem to like.
    Personally, whatever is on during daytime is 99% cack, as far as I'm concerned and I generally ignore it completely.
    I occasionally browse past, suffer about 5 minutes before swearing at the TV and lament that the BBC is putting out this $hite and that punters like it, then move on.
    Tennis or 'some other $hite' either way I'm out (when I'm in) or out at work :)
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    CherylFan wrote: »

There isn't really even a debate, it's just various people going "wah, I don't like tennis, wah, my programmes aren't on, wah, I don't want to change channel, wah why is the BBC catering for people other than me, wah" and others basically telling them what they need to hear, ie shut up, stop moaning and go do something else.
  • Options
    GibletOSullivanGibletOSullivan Posts: 42,093
    Forum Member
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Quite. It's not even a debate at all really, when some posters seem to be wilfully ignoring not only the actual point of the other side's argument, but the laws of time and space itself.
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go. I wondered how long it would take this thread to develop into a slanging match between posters. Just like all the threads nowadays :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Someone has suggested there is 'at least 6 hours a day on both, adding up to over 12 hours a day'
    It wasn't a suggestion, it was a statement of fact based on yesterday's tv listings. And as I went on to say earlier, on that particular day it was actually 14 hours and 15 minutes so that original figure was in fact an underestimate. Although to be fair, future listings indicate that coverage will average out to that earlier figure of approximately 12 hours, with approximately 7-8 hours of that being broadcast on BBC2.
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    There isn't really even a debate, it's just various people going "wah, I don't like tennis, wah, my programmes aren't on, wah, I don't want to change channel, wah why is the BBC catering for people other than me, wah" and others basically telling them what they need to hear, ie shut up, stop moaning and go do something else.
    Well of course, if engagement in debate was refused and reduced to that level, then the opposing viewpoint might justifiably be "Shut up, stop moaning about people moaning about tennis and go watch some tennis." but that would just be disrespectful of us to each other, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't a suggestion, it was a statement of fact based on yesterday's tv listings. And as I went on to say earlier, on that particular day it was actually 14 hours and 15 minutes so that original figure was in fact an underestimate. Although to be fair, future listings indicate that coverage will average out to that earlier figure of approximately 12 hours, with approximately 7-8 hours of that being broadcast on BBC2. it?

I did use quotation marks, which is as far as I am concerned a fair indication that I was using a quote and not in some modern ironic derogatory manner, many people miss that.

If you had cared to continue to read my post, before jumping in to berate me. I also suggested that coverage could be considerably more, upto 20 hours per day. Of course these hours are sometimes simultaneous, but I chose to ignore that as it would have reduced the time any tennis hater would have to otherwise occupy themselves, but you probably think I'm being too lenient then.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem isn't that the tennis is on, it's the total saturation coverage on both main BBC channels, for at least six hours a day on both, adding up to over twelve hours a day.
    I get it from reading the TV listings. I don't know for certain how accurate these timings are as I didn't watch, but I imagine even in the unlikely event of a match under-running, the programme wouldn't end early.

So for Example, yesterday [1/7/2015]:
    BBC1 11.30am-1pm & 1.45pm-6pm = 5hrs 45m
    BBC2 1pm-8.30pm & 9.30pm-10.30pm = 8hrs 30m

In the interests of not being petty about it, I'll leave out however long BBC News devoted to it.

Total BBC coverage for the day: 14 hours and 15 minutes.

You're right, I'm wrong. Looks like I'm short 15 minutes on BBC1. But even accounting for that there's still 2 hours and 15 minutes owing from BBC2. And as has already been mentioned, as the tournament continues matches are likely to run longer and adversely affect the schedules.

I don't want to sound like I'm saying that tennis fans shouldn't be allowed to watch it for as long as they like, because I'm not. I don't have any particular axe to grind because I don't care either way about Wimbledon. It's not about Wimbledon itself.

What I am saying is that in this multi-channel, multi-platform age those with a special interest [be it Wimbledon, Glastonbury or live newt breeding from Cleethorpes] shouldn't be indulged by a publicly-funded broadcaster on both main channels to the total exclusion of other license payers, and as tennis fans clearly are being so indulged at the moment, they shouldn't be surprised or indignant when someone who doesn't like it says so.

As you stated in your first post you said at least SIX hours per day were on BOTH BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time.

As far as I can see from your TV listings above Wimbledon is only on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time for 4 hours and 15 minutes (1.45pm-6pm)

I don't disagree with your post at all, I too have no axe to grind, I just couldn't understand where the six hours a day on both channels came from.

If I am misunderstanding your post (which I probably am) I apologise in advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did use quotation marks, which is as far as I am concerned a fair indication that I was using a quote and not in some modern ironic derogatory manner, many people miss that.

If you had cared to continue to read my post, before jumping in to berate me. I also suggested that coverage could be considerably more, upto 20 hours per day.

You have a very odd idea of what being berated is like, I was simply clarifying my original post on the subject, and I even ended that clarification on what could reasonably be considered a conciliatory note. Like much else in this thread, apparently that attempt was an exercise in futility. I suppose I could have stuck a few smileys in, but I honestly didn't think I needed to.

As I've already stated, I don't care enough about Wimbledon to hate it. At the risk of repeating myself yet again, Wimbledon itself is not the problem. For the sake of argument, even if an event I was particularly enthused about was allotted the amount of airtime on both main channels that Wimbledon is, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who didn't like that situation voicing their opinion about it and I certainly wouldn't belittle their argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As you stated in your first post you said at least SIX hours per day were on BOTH BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time.

As far as I can see from your TV listings above Wimbledon is only on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time for 4 hours and 15 minutes (1.45pm-6pm)

I don't disagree with your post at all, I too have no axe to grind, I just couldn't understand where the six hours a day on both channels came from.

If I am misunderstanding your post (which I probably am) I apologise in advance.

Dunno, no need to apologise anyway, maybe it's just the way I wrote it down. .:)

I originally meant six hours on BBC1 and six hours on BBC2, giving a total of twelve hours daily across both channels. Although that was just my rough estimate at the time, and later proved to be a little more complicated because the spread of coverage over the two channels is less equal than that [4hrs15 on BBC1 and 8hrs on BBC2, although on the day I picked there was an extra 1hr30 on BBC1 in the morning].

Heh, that was supposed to be less complicated.:D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunno, no need to apologise anyway, maybe it's just the way I wrote it down. .:)

I originally meant six hours on BBC1 and six hours on BBC2, giving a total of twelve hours daily across both channels. Although that was just my rough estimate at the time, and later proved to be a little more complicated because the spread of coverage over the two channels is less equal than that [4hrs15 on BBC1 and 8hrs on BBC2].

Heh, that was supposed to be less complicated.:D

:D .. I think I understand now, (and yes I did misunderstand your original post):blush:

I get what you mean now, and yes it's a lot of hours per day for a single sport. I enjoy watching Wimbledon, but must admit they do show a lot on their main channels (I watch mostly on one of their red buttons)
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    What the heck is normally on BBC 1/2 anyway? Not a lot!
    (although I must admit I watched Are You Being Served on BBC2....but I can wait for it's return!)
    Nothing wrong with tennis...I watch it occasionally too. Men in shorts!!
    There's always Judge Rinder or Jeremy Kyle on ITV2. Try a weepy film on True Entertainment! The list is endless.......
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    There are still other channels available, lots of them, 64 on Freeview alone

And most of them absolute crap.

Tennis, for me, is the single most boring thing shown by the BBC. Okay, lots of people disagree, and it would be great if the BBC hijacked BBC 4 or BBC 3 to show every single match for them. But please, leave BBC 1 and BBC 2 available for the rest of us. What are the chance? About as high as Clarkson getting fair treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tennis, for me, is the single most boring thing shown by the BBC.
    Nah, golf is far more boring than tennis.

[runs away from thread, screaming]

:) [just in case]
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, golf is far more boring than tennis.

[runs away from thread, screaming]

:) [just in case]
    Football is even more boring, 22 men kick a ball around for 90 minutes, a jobsworth blows his whistle for something called offside, they might score, they might not. Nine months of the year of this, and people think Wimbledon is too much. However, it's easy to avoid football, don't live in somewhere like Liverpool, avoid pubs when matches are on, switch off at work from it, don't buy a Sky or BT Sport subscription.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    My biggest gripe on TV is that total waste of time that's on evey day and that's Breakfast TV. Now that is an insult to ones intelligence and I hope that the BBC in their cost cutting spree get rid of this and the terrible waste of money that is its presenters.
    Why anyone should need to gawp at the TV rather than listen to news radio defeats any reasoning.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arghhhhhhh ! Why put this on both channels afternoon and evening. Every damn year - it's so dull. Not even proper sports get this sort of coverage on events seperated by years - be glad when Sky gets this then it wont bother us again

Two weeks of the year, only on two channels until 6 pm, most people at work before that.

It's a grand slam event seen around the world.

Do you expect the BBC to secure rights and only show one match at a time?

Many people love it, I do not like tennis, only watch Andy Murray but it's broadcasting for everyone, many people do not like football, it's shown, this is not on demand Netflix and there are other channels out there.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read a book....