Options

DW Adventure games: Yay or nay?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
Anybody else downloaded these from the DW website yet?

I got bored today so I thought I'd give them a look and, TBH, I'm not at all sure what to think.

On the one hand, each game lasts about as long as an episode of the telly programme and they are pretty well made so I guess you can't complain.
OTOH, it kinda worries me that they ARE so well made cos it kinda suggests that they probably paid the developer a fair few bob for them.

The gfx look like you could be playing a DW version of Splinter Cell or summat but you soon realise that the actual game-play is only marginal more complex than noughts and crosses.

I can't help wondering if somebody commisioned a "proper" DW game and then, after seeing the result, decided they'd have to give it away as a freebie.
I'd much rather then created a game that looks like these do but is much, much deeper and then charge me £25 for it.

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there quite good for what they are, in my view, and your totally wrong in your claim about their origin btw, they were always intended for free download for the BBC site. They have proved rather popular as it goes and another batch have been commissioned for the next series.

The target market is generally the younger age range fan, hence why the degree of difficulty is set fairly low.

Also there have been "proper" Doctor Who games released for wii and ds this past year, and the free games on the site are a damn sight better than either of the ones you have to pay for.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    I think they're very good value - being free - and my only real criticism is that the characters don't respond to my gentle touchpad touch as quickly as I'd like. I've killed the Doctor and Amy more times than I care to mention. :)
  • Options
    ilovedrwho123ilovedrwho123 Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    I think they're very good value - being free - and my only real criticism is that the characters don't respond to my gentle touchpad touch as quickly as I'd like. I've killed the Doctor and Amy more times than I care to mention. :)

same here ispecly in latest
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    same here ispecly in latest

:D

I've only completed the first two, though. I don't really have the patience for PC games.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I downloaded the first game and enjoyed it for about 40 minutes before I got stuck and couldn't get any further!:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Mutley summed it up nicely really. I know I've had a lot of fun playing through them, about halfway through the last one at the moment but it got put on hold owing to Christmas and Steam Sales. Pretty simple but they are intended for kids after all and they're pretty damn good all things considered. They certainly got the atmosphere and 'feel' of a Who game bang on. Plus they do bring in some extra cash to the show as they're only free in the UK, in America (possibly other markets too, not sure) you have to pay and they've proven surprisingly popular.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    I downloaded the first game and enjoyed it for about 40 minutes before I got stuck and couldn't get any further!:(

C'mon Doctor, where are you stuck at?

(I got stuck loads of times, Just tell me what you need :))
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    C'mon Doctor, where are you stuck at?

(I got stuck loads of times, Just tell me what you need :))

Its the bit after you come out of the underground at Trafalgar Square and have to get back to the Tardis undetected...I just can't do it!:mad:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Its the bit after you come out of the underground at Trafalgar Square and have to get back to the Tardis undetected...I just can't do it!:mad:

By way of help...
    It's just a case of positioning.
    You head to the right, toward a wrecked taxi IIRC.
    There's a small gap between 2 daleks field of views which you can scuttle into then, when the left-hand one turns away, you can nip past.
    That leaves you to quietly sneak behind a dalek that's looking the wrong way and you're home.

I don't mean to be too critical of the games. As freebies they really are top quality.
    It just seems like they have the makings of what could be an epic game and rather than really stretch themselves they've kinda taken the easy way out by producing such straightforward mini-games.

Tell you what, I bet it'd produce spectacular results if they released a SDK into the public domain.

*EDIT*
    Meant to say, as well, nice to see Matt Smith and Karen Gillan taking part in this by doing the voice-overs.

Also, I agree about the movement.
    They seem to have used a sort of inertia system so that a brief tap on the key creates a small movement but if you hold it down the character runs.
    Quite a clever idea but in use it feels kinda strange.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Yes, I got stuck there too. I died about 10 times before I managed to get back to the Tardis. But yeah, the basic idea is to sneak over to the taxi (keeping an eye on the Daleks' field of vision) and sneak over to the Tardis from there.

So, basically what Si said :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I can't help wondering if somebody commisioned a "proper" DW game and then, after seeing the result, decided they'd have to give it away as a freebie.
    I'd much rather then created a game that looks like these do but is much, much deeper and then charge me £25 for it.

I've not downloaded them myself by friends tell me they are, "Not bad and get better". Unlike the recent released games (such as on the Wii) which have been somewhat panned.
  • Options
    Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    For a freebie they're good, but the gameplay is too repetitive. Sneak, Find, Rewire.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    They are resoundingly terrible. Nothing but a chore to play, with no reward of any kind, intellectual or otherwise.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are resoundingly terrible. Nothing but a chore to play, with no reward of any kind, intellectual or otherwise.

Sounds like a blanket description of all games, to me. Don't see the point.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than the Dr Who game on the Amiga all those years ago. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry:I got the Wii game and hate it , its too fiddly
    I perfer to watch an episode that I like ax:confused: