Titanfall - Am I alone in being completely uninterested?

TheCrackInTimeTheCrackInTime Posts: 134
Forum Member
A lot of gaming websites are really hyping this up at the moment, with many even proclaiming it the 'game of E3', but I couldn't be less interested in it. I enjoy a good FPS as much as the next guy, but I don't see what's so special about this one. Giant robots? Erm, ok. What else? What is it that everyone is seeing in this, that I'm just not getting?

Comments

• Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what side of the fence you're on, Xbox guys will be pumped, PS guys will be meh. ;)

It's FPS so that automatically makes this more or less a no go for me.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to Respawn's debut as much as anybody. With COD's obvious decline I even thought it had the potential to be "the" COD killer. But after seeing the video I couldn't believe they didn't go with what they clearly know best, A classic FPS. I wonder was their pressure from EA due to Battlefield? The thing about having robots/mechs is, its so hard to balance the multiplayer. The beauty of COD was one guy could do serious damage to an entire team, the one man/woman could make all the difference. When there is mechs involved they have to be far superior to the humans or there is no point in having them in the game.
  • TheCrackInTimeTheCrackInTime Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Depends what side of the fence you're on, Xbox guys will be pumped, PS guys will be meh. ;)

It's FPS so that automatically makes this more or less a no go for me.

I don't think it's quite that simple. While I tend to prefer PS exclusives and will be picking up a PS4 at launch, I'm interested in some of XB1's exclusives too. Titanfall just isn't doing anything for me.
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

That pretty much sums up the coverage of this game tbh.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for going off topic.

Who is this Major Nelson douche ? I've seen his name mentioned a few times but never looked into it. Only listened to about 2 mins of the clip but i can't stand his voice.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I may buy an Xbone down the line but Titanfall doesnt interest me in the least.

But Destiny by Bungie does - and I was never a halo fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »

Who is this Major Nelson douche ? I've seen his name mentioned a few times but never looked into it. Only listened to about 2 mins of the clip but i can't stand his voice.

Director of Programming for Xbox live. To be honest he is not that bad. He is employed by Microsoft and has to toe the party line. Of all the shit MS took after E3 his interview with Angry Joe was by far and away the best any employee of MS had given to anybody. (an interview he didn't actually have to give in the first place)
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Director of Programming for Xbox live. To be honest he is not that bad. He is employed by Microsoft and has to toe the party line. Of all the shit MS took after E3 his interview with Angry Joe was by far and away the best any employee of MS had given to anybody. (an interview he didn't actually have to give in the first place)

Why the name ? Is it because "he's the man" or just a crappy nickname ?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

He is this guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xcXdWRJ-xb4#t=140s

(2:20)

Basically he's Xbox's front man and was defending all the DRM stuff.... and then 4 days later he reversed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the name ? Is it because "he's the man" or just a crappy nickname ?

His xbox name I think, simple as that. His blog http://majornelson.com/ is the place to go to keep up to date with what is coming on live. Deals, games, demos, updates etc.

As for people saying he defended DRM. I'll say it again he is an employee of Microsoft. He defends DRM or he has no job.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Yep, Major Nelson is his XB tag, named after the character Larry Hagman played in the old TV series "I Dream of Jeannie".

Titanfall - too early to say. Footage looked ok, but there's no real idea of how the game will actually play. What's the map variety like? Will spawning be fooked? Overpowered killstreak rewards/perks? Above all, will they employ overly aggressive lag comp? Oh, and FFS, no fooking d1ck-scoping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looks like yet another fps to me. Nothing more.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks crap to me and in no way a "call of duty killer".
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks good, as long as it's not an Origin exclusive and is reasonably priced (seen as it's MP only, putting it in the £15 bracket), I will certainly be interested in it.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks pretty cool, but in all honesty i've just had enough of 'Space Marine' shooters in general. This 'going inside mechs' element looks fun....but it's not for me.

Also what is not being said is it's actually a MS console exclusive and not a full exclusive, it comes out on PC at the same time, so if I were to get it i'd get it for that.
    Forum Member
    It looks good, as long as it's not an Origin exclusive and is reasonably priced (seen as it's MP only, putting it in the £15 bracket), I will certainly be interested in it.

Well, it's publisher is EA, so it'll be on Origin.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Well, it's publisher is EA, so it'll be on Origin.

All Source engine games are on Steam.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a FPS guy, I played a bit of Modern Warfare 1 & 2, but it wasn't really my kind of thing. Also I've never had a Xbox, so I've never played Halo.

Maybe it's because I'm a PS fanboy, I don't know, but Titanfall didn't look that exciting to me, same old greys and greens and standard team-v-team FPS multiplayer. Destiny on the other hand looked great, with a nice aesthetic, and the kind of MMO gameplay I've never really experienced on a console before.
    Forum Member
    All Source engine games are on Steam.

But the publisher is EA?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Folk would need to buy the x1 to play it. £470 to play a generic shooter, you'd have to be mad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily, it'll be out for PC at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    He is this guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xcXdWRJ-xb4#t=140s

(2:20)

Basically he's Xbox's front man and was defending all the DRM stuff.... and then 4 days later he reversed it.

Oh, that whole 30 seconds from 2:20 to 2:50 is just flippin priceless!
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that it doesn't have a single player campaign makes me uninterested.

It think both Ghost and Division both look far more interesting. Ghost due to the Single player aspect and Division because it has brought MMORPG elements to FPS.

I'm also not a fan of both Halo and Killzone and this looks more on the lines of that but with no single player.
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily, it'll be out for PC at some point.

It's already been announced for Xbox 1, Xbox 360 and PC.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was let down by Titanfall too. Especially the fact there will likely be no single player. I don't buy this, "gamers never bother with SP, so why should we even bother making it?", excuse from Respawn. How do you explain all the hours spent on Skyrim?

It did look kinda pretty, i'll admit. But i think Destiny looks a lot more interesting.

Titanfall will do nothing for the xbox one