Aliona is not returning.

Comments

• Christopher DChristopher D Posts: 12,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hannah 01. wrote: »
    BIBYup I agree there-Rav Wilding ex copper, Matt Baker presenter (teenage gymnast), Harry Judd pigeon toed boy bander then taught to be a lovely ballroom dancer, Tony Jacklin, Greg Wallace, Jay Mcguiness .
    Celebs paired without fear or favour

Can't really say she has had a really bad draw though compared to some of the other female dancers.
  • hannah 01.hannah 01. Posts: 6,863
    Forum Member
    BIBYup I agree there-Rav Wilding ex copper, Matt Baker presenter (teenage gymnast), Harry Judd pigeon toed boy bander then taught to be a lovely ballroom dancer, Tony Jacklin, Greg Wallace, Jay Mcguiness .
    Celebs paired without fear or favour
    Can't really say she has had a really bad draw though compared to some of the other female dancers.

Oh and of course Johnny Ball --celeb who was dancing with her when she fractured her ankle. He danced with Iveta but unfortunately left the competition in the first week
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you add in Johnny Ball, it seems about average, really - 2 older (aka not expected to last that long), a bit younger but still not expected to go far with Greg, Rav who could possibly be in the 'on paper' category (younger, fit but still a bit pants) and 3 'with potential' - who still have to engage with the voters..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    If you add in Johnny Ball, it seems about average, really - 2 older (aka not expected to last that long), a bit younger but still not expected to go far with Greg, Rav who could possibly be in the 'on paper' category (younger, fit but still a bit pants) and 3 'with potential' - who still have to engage with the voters..

Who has a had a better recent draw out of the female dancers in recent years? Karen has been there a while and her best dancer has been Mark Wright!

Of course some of the male dancers like Pasha have had better partners I will concede that.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who has a had a better recent draw out of the female dancers in recent years? Karen has been there a while and her best dancer has been Mark Wright!

Of course some of the male dancers like Pasha have had better partners I will concede that.

I don't think Karen's done too badly. Nicky Byrne was disappointing, but you'd have said at the outset he looked like a contender; Mark was okay and they got to the finals; Jeremy and Dave - definitely NOT contender material, but both popular, likeable duffers.
    Forum Member

Janette --Jake Wood (an excellent salsa) /Peter Andre (expected to be good)
    Kristina--Simon Webbe / Ben Cohen/Jason Donovan
    Natalie -Ricky Whittle /Scott Maslen
    Karen -- Mark Ramprakesh
    Flavia--Louis Smith / Matt di Angelo
    Karen---Nick Byrne/Mark Wright
  • AnoAno Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ochre wrote: »
    He'd have scored 40 had it been performed later in the series but the judges had to give him somewhere to go.

Aliona was one of the best female pros Strictly has ever employed. An excellent teacher and skilled and innovative choreographer.

No pro but Aliona could have brought that jive performance out of Jay.

Agree, agree oh and agree! I've just had a re run of all the dances Aliona has ever appeared in from the year 2009, yes that's how I choose to spend my Saturday's :D Anyways all I can say is she was and is heads and shoulders above the rest of the pros she gives me chills when I watch her dance, she literally floats and doesn't tend to force facial expressions when not needed, which actually takes away from the dancing I think some pros need to take a look at Aliona, I just wished that strictly had her more as a main role in a pro dance it was mainly the Clifton's and Janette/Aljaz :confused: I'm super sad that she isn't returning, for the first time I really did wish the papers were not utter BS as usual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kristina--Simon Webbe / Ben Cohen
    Karen -- Mark Ramprakesh

None of them reached three finals and won twice though. You know what good on her you have to ride your luck. I didn't like Matt Baker much, but Harry Judd's ballroom was among the best by a male celeb and Jay was OK as well.
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kristina--Simon Webbe / Ben Cohen
    Karen -- Mark Ramprakesh

Kristina also danced with Jason Donovan.

Edit: You edited your post while I was posting this!:D
  • CatO9TalesCatO9Tales Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them reached three finals and won twice though. You know what good on her you have to ride your luck. I didn't like Matt Baker much, but Harry Judd's ballroom was among the best by a male celeb and Jay was OK as well.

Yes but maybe, just maybe, Aliona got to three finals and won two because she did a darned good job ....
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, no one had won twice before this series :D but given that some of the pro's have been there for a good length of time it was going to happen eventually.

Lilia probably has a comparable record - a semi-final, 2 finals and a win.
    Forum Member

Yup. As none of them really know what they're going to get in the way of possible talent to mould into ballroom/latin dancers they do all have to have that element of luck. Add to that the hard work and training undertaken and we have our Saturday night viewing sorted.
    Only to be followed up by a tour for those lucky enough to extend their viewing pleasure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Well, no one had won twice before this series :D but given that some of the pro's have been there for a good length of time it was going to happen eventually.

Lilia probably has a comparable record - a semi-final, 2 finals and a win.

Yes you are right about Lilia.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Well I'm definitely awarding you the record for the most rude comment.

True though. Your first sentence was ridiculous.

Maybe you should research your facts first?
  • VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    :confused: we knew this already :confused:

But very recently, it was reported that she was going to be doing some choreography and would be a stand-in reserve dancer.
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    I think BBC protected her overmuch really....that's my perception anyway.

Protected her? She was booted out twice before the PTB saw sense!
  • kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I don't think the judge's scores were that great :confused:I can't think of the last time a last year's winner opened the new season either.

Anyway, I'm very glad that Vilani isn't returning. She only seemed to shine when she got a ringer.

did you watch the 2015 Launch Show?

guess not - otherwise you would know that Caroline and Pasha danced, Abbey and Aljaz performed the year before too

its really NOT unusual for the winner of Strictly to dance at the Launch Show
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think Flackers had done any dancing since her tour. Jay should be OK because he is doing that Robin Windsor tour so hopefully it won't be a total write off.
    Caroline was very busy too ... with X Factor ... I think she had very limited practice time and you're definitely going to be rusty if you haven't kept up.
    Hope Jay will get lots of practice time but he could probably do that jive in his sleep!
    I don't think Caroline danced the dances she did on tour (which was not with Pasha anyway) ... didn't they do some sort of ill advised medley?
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She certainly did and it was shocking, she'd forgotten everything she'd been taught.

Think it's been going on for few series. I seem to remember, for reasons unknown, Rachel Stevens and Lisa Snowdon returning one year ( not absolutely 100% it was for the opening show), Lisa Snowdon was stumbling around like a p*ssed aunt at a wedding reception after one too many Blue WKDs.

At least with J and A you know it'll be good. I'm not particularly a Jay fan but I remember when they did it in week 3, it just exploded! Though, hopefully, Jay will say no to that hideous wig.

Rachel and Lisa was the Series 7 final, which was jam-packed with filler because there were only the two finalists. As far as I remember the only recent winner not to return at any point in the next series was Kara.
    Caroline was very busy too ... with X Factor ... I think she had very limited practice time and you're definitely going to be rusty if you haven't kept up.
    Hope Jay will get lots of practice time but he could probably do that jive in his sleep!
    I don't think Caroline danced the dances she did on tour (which was not with Pasha anyway) ... didn't they do some sort of ill advised medley?

Caroline did the salsa when she came back - IIRC on tour she did Charleston and A. Smooth.
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Rachel and Lisa was the Series 7 final, which was jam-packed with filler because there were only the two finalists. As far as I remember the only recent winner not to return at any point in the next series was Kara.
    Rachel and Lisa were the same series as Tom Chambers. There were three finalists that year. Or are you talking about when they came back? I'm confused.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes sorry I mean they came back for the S7 finale. They did their return dance whilst the votes were being counted.
  • PinkDiamondPinkDiamond Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis and Flavia also returned for their victory dance in the launch show
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes sorry I mean they came back for the S7 finale. They did their return dance whilst the votes were being counted.
    Ah, thanks. I couldn't remember.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member

Caroline did the salsa when she came back - IIRC on tour she did Charleston and A. Smooth.

Rachel and Lisa were in the series before, the one when we kept on voting John seargeant through week after week after week etc....Chris Hollins and Ricky whittle were in the series 7 final Monkseal in which Chris ended up the winner.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    Rachel and Lisa were in the series before, the one when we kept on voting John seargeant through week after week after week etc....Chris Hollins and Ricky whittle were in the series 7 final Monkseal in which Chris ended up the winner.

The conversation's about returning the following series for a winner's dance (or in this a runners' up dance :)) - Rachel and Lisa from series 6 appearing in the final of series 7.
  • Frank MagFrank Mag Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    them doing their Jive was predictable. it was ok once but not again really. it wasn't even a spectacular Jive id say it was average

As others have said it was week three and Darcy's 'because its week three' comment before giving a nine was outrageous...The best Jive seen on SCD, it had everything