Options

Fiddling the system while working how common is this?

13»

Comments

• Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If means-testing of benefits was abolished in favour of a basic state income, it would help reduce all this fraudulent crap.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brandy211 wrote: »
    Low earners with a family to feed, are able to receive child tax credits, help towards their rent and dental care

Depending on level of income, possibly entitled to an HC2, which gives you full help with health costs, e.g free prescriptions, dentist, eyes etc
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious how common this is, I might be naive but I didn't think this happened.

I was talking to an in law yesterday, he told me he earns £2k per month self employed. He apparently only declares £800 of it, why I asked? To reduce his tax bill and so his wife can claim tax credits and the rest of the perks such as free school dinners, free dental care etc. It then gets better, he tells me his Mrs who only works 16 hours per week only declares 5 hours.

You ****s I thought. There I am working 40 hours per week for minimum wage which is less than half of what your earning per month and we get damn all. We get some child tax credits but damn all else.

It's made me wonder how common this type of scamming is?

Are these the same ones who take your kid on the epensive holiday?

From your posts you have issues with them but what they are doing is wrong so report them and don't even worry about it.

People like that get on my nerves, I know plenty of the "single mum" types who actually live with their partners but pretend they don't so they can live in their council houses for free, don't have to work and enjoy a very nice lifestyle
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    >>>>

Yes its wrong - especially as the Govt badly need tax avoidance to fund housing benefits for terrorists planning to blow up or kill us according to latest news reports.

They also need tax to pay for operations to scupper terrorist cells and to work behind the scenes collecting information on preventing large scale terrorist attacks.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often think that i'm a mug that my only income is my job, that I pay all the tax and national insurance i'm supposed to and that I don't claim any type of government benefits. I look around at the lifestyles people have and it just doesn't make sense to me if you're playing by the rules. I seem to be on never ending money saving mode.

One of the guys at work has recently set up a new business with a relative. He was telling us about it the other day and casually mentioned that only half of his employees salaries were going to be officially declared and the other half would be paid in cash. He said it was the only way of making the business work to begin with.
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often think that i'm a mug that my only income is my job, that I pay all the tax and national insurance i'm supposed to and that I don't claim any type of government benefits. I look around at the lifestyles people have and it just doesn't make sense to me if you're playing by the rules. I seem to be on never ending money saving mode.

One of the guys at work has recently set up a new business with a relative. He was telling us about it the other day and casually mentioned that only half of his employees salaries were going to be officially declared and the other half would be paid in cash. He said it was the only way of making the business work to begin with.

I feel the same. It's sickening.
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this in reverse from my own Mother. I claim carers allowance now but at the time I was claiming jobseekers. Anyway, I had told the jobcentre I was doing caring, as my Mum has dialysis and I am training to be her dialysis partner so she can dialyse at home. This means I have to go to dialysis with her three times a week.

Anyway she told the staff I was working when I wasn't because she felt too ashamed to tell them that I wasn't working. I had been and in fact had been working full time nearly 50 hours a week but I was in a temp to perm position and the position never became permanent. So at that point I started doing the dialysis thing with her.

I am not sure why she put me in that position but it looked like I was working when in actual fact I wasn't and I was legitimately job hunting. However, I am now claiming carers allowance, doing jobs for Mum but she gives me bits of money for things like bus fares and things for the dogs as I sometimes look after her dog(s) as well as mine. Not only that and I suspect it is the same for a lot of people, in order to claim carers allowance you have to be caring for 35 hours a week and I find myself doing more than that on a week to week basis. I go to dialysis with her, clean, shop, look after dogs, help her sometimes get dressed as she has limited mobility in her shoulders. Sometimes that is a problem.

What I do find is that we spend too much time together and that can cause friction.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm curious how common this is, I might be naive but I didn't think this happened.

I was talking to an in law yesterday, he told me he earns £2k per month self employed. He apparently only declares £800 of it, why I asked? To reduce his tax bill and so his wife can claim tax credits and the rest of the perks such as free school dinners, free dental care etc. It then gets better, he tells me his Mrs who only works 16 hours per week only declares 5 hours.

You ****s I thought. There I am working 40 hours per week for minimum wage which is less than half of what your earning per month and we get damn all. We get some child tax credits but damn all else.

It's made me wonder how common this type of scamming is?

I'm confused about the 'Mrs who only works 16 hours per week only declares 5 hours'. Does she work for cash, otherwise the company she works for would be keeping records of her hours. Who does she only declare those 5 hours to, because Tax Credits require you to work at least 16 hours a week to get them, so she'd have to declare at least 16 hours!

" If you’re responsible for children:
    • If you’re aged 16 or over – you need to work at least 16 hours a week." https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/504819/TC600_Notes_10_15_v2.1.pdf