Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ranting without a clue = insanity.

So why are you posting then? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    You don't cope very well when people disagree with you, do you?

How do you work that one out? I'm giving you freedom of choice, not trying to stop you.
  • Playboy NolanPlayboy Nolan Posts: 3,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't cope very well when people disagree with you, do you?

If it lives under a bridge and doesn't like goats, then it's best not fed.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it lives under a bridge and doesn't like goats, then it's best not fed.
    I've never believed that one. Feed 'em till they burst!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debian wrote: »
    How do you work that one out? I'm giving you freedom of choice, not trying to stop you.
    But you want to tell me when I can do my shopping?
  • jammers1978jammers1978 Posts: 2,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingo_Reg wrote: »
    Buy some during the day?

I think what he's saying is that it's about having the convenience. Why shouldn't he be able to finish his shift, maybe his boss was being a dick and he thinks, actually I'll have a couple of yeasty beverages and surf then net and listen to some music. Oh no I can't buy it because it's not allowed.

It's just ****ing pathetic in my view. If there's a problem with arseholes get a security guard everyone else has them. Maybe the problems at Asda came because they were the ONLY ones in the whole town that sold it.

What are we children that we have the ability to buy drinks late at night taken away from us?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you want to tell me when I can do my shopping?
    Excuse me for butting in...but isn't it ASDA that is telling you when to do your shopping?
    Others may agree or disagree on the efficacy of ASDA's latest service to the community but they are not the cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excuse me for butting in...but isn't it ASDA that is telling you when to do your shopping?
    Others may agree or disagree on the efficacy of ASDA's latest service to the community but they are not the cause.
    Obviously, the retailer must be prepared to sell me my shopping at whatever time but that's between me and them. If one retailer doesn't I will find one that does. I object to a third party telling both of us (me and the retailer) when we can do business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that the ranting on this thread is being done by those people that cannot abide not being able to buy something for a few hours in the middle of the night when there's ample, in fact more than ample opportunity to buy infinite supplies of the commodity whithin a timeframe that most people would consider to be more than reasonable.

It's nothing to do with underage drinkers and all supermarkets specifically charge their checkout staff to "Think 21" before allwing a purchase of alcohol or a range of other "controlled" items. Checkout staff are held personally responsible if an underage person buys alcohol.

I have seen no post against alcohol on this thread. I am not anti alcohol.

I have seen no anti-drinker posts on this thread. I am not anti drinking.

I have expressed an opinion that 24 hour shopping is not necessary (that is an opinion by the way ;) ) but that is all, it's my opinion.

I have seen no reason posted why it's essential to be able to buy alcohol between midnight and 6 a.m. and possibly disturbing other people at the same time.

I have nothing more to say on the subject.
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    I think what he's saying is that it's about having the convenience. Why shouldn't he be able to finish his shift, maybe his boss was being a dick and he thinks, actually I'll have a couple of yeasty beverages and surf then net and listen to some music. Oh no I can't buy it because it's not allowed.

It's just ****ing pathetic in my view. If there's a problem with arseholes get a security guard everyone else has them. Maybe the problems at Asda came because they were the ONLY ones in the whole town that sold it.

What are we children that we have the ability to buy drinks late at night taken away from us?

Rather more pathetic is consumers who feel that all things must be available at all times. We can live quite easily without it; it is a minor inconvenience. Worry about things that actually have a real impact upon your life. If not being able to go to one supermarket to buy a drink is having a major impact on your life that it is going to cause stress then there are bigger problems that you have that need dealing with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    Rather more pathetic is consumers who feel that all things must be available at all times. We can live quite easily without it; it is a minor inconvenience. Worry about things that actually have a real impact upon your life. If not being able to go to one supermarket to buy a drink is having a major impact on your life that it is going to cause stress then there are bigger problems that you have that need dealing with.

Thanks for calling me pathetic. Why shouldn't it be available then? Because of people who abuse alcohol? That's down to the shop to not sell it to them then isn't it? Not my fault.

Thanks for psychoanalysing me even though you don't know one thing about me.

Maybe some people are a bit more spontaneous and don't plan their drinking...Still I suppose they could keep a stockpile for when they can't get hold of it if they really need it but why should they? Perhaps they feel like a certain type of drink they don't have, I don't know.

What I find pathetic is the moralising that goes on about it.

It's just a drink for crying out loud, why can't they sell it? What I find annoying is that in so many other countries, this just isn't the case, everyone here's so frigging uptight about things like drink and sex. And yes that does have quite a big impact because it's a repressive and daft moralistic attitude that seems to reign in so many quarters.

It's not my primary concern in life I just think that it's lame that companies like Asda don't just stop selling it at shops where they're getting trouble, which might be more understandable, they just go completely over the top and
    stop it in all of them....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conversely, if the thought of other people doing their shopping at a time when you think they should be tucked up in bed with a cocoa causes you stress, then you REALLY have problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously, the retailer must be prepared to sell me my shopping at whatever time but that's between me and them. If one retailer doesn't I will find one that does. I object to a third party telling both of us (me and the retailer) when we can do business.
    I see no party at all telling anyone when they must do their shopping....apart from Asda who now won't sell you a beer after 11pm in 100 of their stores...so in effect they are saying if you want to buy booze of us do it before 11pm.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not my primary concern in life I just think that it's lame that companies like Asda don't just stop selling it at shops where they're getting trouble, which might be more understandable, they just go completely over the top and

But they've only stopped it in some of their 24 hour shops and not in all of them.
    So your beef is unfounded. They're doing just exactly that, the thing you think is understandable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see no party at all telling anyone when they must do their shopping....apart from Asda who now won't sell you a beer after 11pm in 100 of their stores...so in effect they are saying if you want to buy booze of us do it before 11pm.
    I was referring to Debian.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Debian wrote: »
    If you can't organise your life enough to get your shopping done between 6 a.m. and midnight on any day of the week then tough.
    I smell addiction .

I confess, my initial thought was along those lines. (especially having a friend who is alcoholic). If you can't plan for a 6 hour closure in the middle of the night then maybe there is a problem?
    One that is fully legal for adults to buy here in the UK.

That makes anything you have to say in your little rant meaningless.

Moralise to the bad parents who neglect their children and/or moralise at Asda for selling alcohol to under aged people, :

Except, the sale to minors is only one part of the problem - and is now being addressed in my area (currently doing a Birmingham stint) by Texco refusing to sell you alcohol if you look under 25 and can't produce ID to prove you are old enough to buy.

However it is the anti social problem that becomes more of an issue. You can drink through the night now in most big cities, Birmingham has a particular problem in the Broad Street area, which has 24 hr supermarkets on its dorrstep.

Also, the night buses taxis drop the drunks off near home, who then think lets get more alcohol from the supermarket.

Sadly, while I can understand why people don't like their freedom of choice taken away, society has to take some responsibility, and until we get a thousand more police on for each city arresting drunks and taking them away, curtailing alcohol is another way of doing it.

Frankly, as a moderate drinker, I'd prefer the curtailment of availability to the alternative of prohibitively increasing prices.

Certainly, whatever we do, we can't afford to do nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to Debian.
    Yep so was I... I see nowhere in any of his responses where he has told you when you must do your shopping.
    He has raised opinion that he believes the move by Asda is a good thing you disagree..so what? That isn't telling you when to do your shopping is it?
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Thanks for calling me pathetic. Why shouldn't it be available then? Because of people who abuse alcohol? That's down to the shop to not sell it to them then isn't it? Not my fault.

Thanks for psychoanalysing me even though you don't know one thing about me.

Maybe some people are a bit more spontaneous and don't plan their drinking...Still I suppose they could keep a stockpile for when they can't get hold of it if they really need it but why should they? Perhaps they feel like a certain type of drink they don't have, I don't know.

What I find pathetic is the moralising that goes on about it.

It's just a drink for crying out loud, why can't they sell it? What I find annoying is that in so many other countries, this just isn't the case, everyone here's so frigging uptight about things like drink and sex. And yes that does have quite a big impact because it's a repressive and daft moralistic attitude that seems to reign in so many quarters.

Well your attitude and rant does come across as rather pathetic. Is a drink really that important? If it is then there are other avenues to go and get it other than your local Asda.

You are making a big fuss over something that is of little import and so I feel sorry for you over that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep so was I... I see nowhere in any of his responses where he has told you when you must do your shopping.
    He has raised opinion that he believes the move by Asda is a good thing you disagree..so what? That isn't telling you when to do your shopping is it?
    Effectively, yes. But my argument is with Debian, not with you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    But they've only stopped it in some of their 24 hour shops and not in all of them.
    So your beef is unfounded. They're doing just exactly that, the thing you think is understandable.

Oh dear....
    My bad :o *slaps own wrist - read the OP properly next time*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well your attitude and rant does come across as rather pathetic. Is a drink really that important? If it is then there are other avenues to go and get it other than your local Asda.

You are making a big fuss over something that is of little import and so I feel sorry for you over that.

It's not the drink it's the prevalant climate of being molly coddled by this nanny society while we're constantly told that we're free to do as we choose - "look at Zimbabwe blah blah". Yes "technically" i can get a late drink, but in practice - no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Effectively, yes. But my argument is with Debian, not with you.
    But why are you arguing at all?
    I see nothing that warrants one....except perhaps that it is Friday and this is DS....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why are you arguing at all?
    I see nothing that warrants one....except perhaps that it is Friday and this is DS....
    Isn't that enough? ;)

Seriously though, I disliked Debians' self-righteous attitude. Calling others 'weak-willed' because they choose to shop at a different time to you is not nice.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should think yourselves lucky that you could actually go and do a nice late shop and still pick up a bottle of plonk, and that you don't have Scotland's archaic laws where you can't buy after 10pm at night, and the even more bizarre one where you can't buy until after midday on a Sunday

Bloody stupid law
    Although at least we have true 24hr stores and not 24hr except for the need to close on Saturday and Sunday nights because of archaic laws stores.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the drink it's the prevalant climate of being molly coddled by this nanny society while we're constantly told that we're free to do as we choose - "look at Zimbabwe blah blah". Yes "technically" i can get a late drink, but in practice - no.
    Yes. I'm practically tee-total (I have a couple of drinks maybe once every two months), but if I'm in a supermarket at 2am and decide I fancy a nice bottle of wine - or want to pick one up for people coming round for dinner the next day - then since it's not illegal, I'm not happy about Asda stopping me just because other people can't cope with alcohol.

For what it's worth, in my experience it's not the alcoholics who have problems with restricted hours, it's the casual drinkers who aren't really aware of the restrictions. The alcoholics know EXACTLY when they can get their booze. (Unless they forget it's Sunday - I'm in Scotland - and turn up at 8am for it. Then you just go "Sorry, it's Sunday" and they swear, apologise, and tell you they'll come back at half twelve.)