Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak calls for iTunes on Android

Comments

• FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »

He's also a Windows Phone 7 user and thinks it's great.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    Old school hacker guy that has not done anything relevant in the past 15 years, yeah this is such a big deal :rolleyes:

Your claim to fame being what? :rolleyes:
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Apple ethos of everything 'just working'.

Lol, we know thats BS now a days.

Apple is far from it just works :D.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Woz is like a retired politician that no longer has to follow the party line.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, we know thats BS now a days.

Apple is far from it just works :D.

It does work, just not the way you expect :p
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Would any one actually use itunes given a choice
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Would any one actually use itunes given a choice

I would not on my phone and would get rid of it on my computer if I did not have a iPod for the gym.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    it's not about do they need to. it's can they make more money if they do. and they probably can't.

i can see a case for regulatory intervention though.

intervention to what?
    Forum Member
    intervention to what?

The thing that this thread is about.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    He's also a Windows Phone 7 user and thinks it's great.

Well looking at recent 'sale figures' he is in the minority there. :)

As for iTunes on Android, it would be counteractive to Apple's business model as there would be considerably more affordable and competitive devices which would have the exact same access to Apple services as any iDevice which would mean the iPhone and iPad would lose part of their unique selling points of being tied in to iTunes, whether it actually benefits the user or not.

Since Apple removed all Google services from stock iOS, I don't think they will be publishing any apps on Google Play any time soon. Google on the other hand have still shown willingness to support Apple customers by regularly updating Google Maps and Voice services despite Apple's best attempts to eradicate Google from their platform.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

As for iTunes on Android, it would be counteractive to Apple's business model as there would be considerably more affordable and competitive devices which would have the exact same access to Apple services as any iDevice which would mean the iPhone and iPad would lose part of their unique selling points of being tied in to iTunes, whether it actually benefits the user or not.

Since Apple removed all Google services from stock iOS, I don't think they will be publishing any apps on Google Play any time soon. Google on the other hand have still shown willingness to support Apple customers by regularly updating Google Maps and Voice services despite Apple's best attempts to eradicate Google from their platform.

There is no "good" and "bad" here, both are trying to maximise profit, but have different business models.

Apple make a lot of profit selling devices, so want to maximise this.

Google make a lot of money targeting advertising and want to be on as many platforms as possible.

So Google still supporting iOS isn't them being nice.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Your claim to fame being what? :rolleyes:

Absolutely nothing but the point is, this guy is no longer relevant and has no influence at Apple at all. If you know anything about him or the early days of Apple you could guess this would be his opinion.

The whole thing is a complete non-story by the lazy tech press who know he is always good for a controversial sound bite to drive traffic. Don't fall for this crap and maybe they might improve,
    Forum Member
    There is no "good" and "bad" here, both are trying to maximise profit, but have different business models.

Google make a lot of money targeting advertising and want to be on as many platforms as possible.

I don't buy this they're all just businesses trying to make a buck but with different strategies. all's fair in love and war. there is no good and bad. idea.

at my local hardware store the guy's always got time to chat. help you out, deliver things on his way home, let you try things out for free. there is also a 'Brighthouse' one of those shops that sells things at 30% interest and takes payments forever then sells the debt.

in an absolute moral sense one is better than the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy this they're all just businesses trying to make a buck but with different strategies. all's fair in love and war. there is no good and bad. idea.

at my local hardware store the guy's always got time to chat. help you out, deliver things on his way home, let you try things out for free. there is also a 'Brighthouse' one of those shops that sells things at 30% interest and takes payments forever then sells the debt.

in an absolute moral sense one is better than the other.

I never said every business in the world works like this, but these are two billion dollar companies, with shareholders to report to.

Your local hardware guy may be genuinely pleased to see you, but if the guy in the Apple store smiles at you, its more likely to be part of his sales technique than joy at serving the next customer (and Google are no different, this isn't part of the Apple V Google war that DS is obsessed by).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest Google doesn't have to support iOS, since iOS6 there are no Google apps available by default, so their ad revenue from those apps will no doubt decrease save for those who specifically download Google applications. Google themselves already control the vast majority of the worldwide mobile market through Android, the advertising revenue alone from that must make them pretty confident about their position in this regard, and I believe confident enough that if they wanted to, they could simply abandon iOS altogether. And since Google's services are vastly superior to Apple's the latter has more to lose.

And furthermore, if Google did quit, they would still get ad revenue from all the millions of iOS users who search through Google on their devices. What can Apple do there? Start up their own search engine?

In reality, Google can't lose in this situation, and I think they are just supporting iOS because they feel like it, they could easily quit that platform and I doubt that they would see any severe consequences. If anything it may encourage more potential users to switch to Android in order to take advantage of their services.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest Google doesn't have to support iOS, since iOS6 there are no Google apps available by default, so their ad revenue from those apps will no doubt decrease save for those who specifically download Google applications. Google themselves already control the vast majority of the worldwide mobile market through Android, the advertising revenue alone from that must make them pretty confident about their position in this regard, and I believe confident enough that if they wanted to, they could simply abandon iOS altogether. And since Google's services are vastly superior to Apple's the latter has more to lose.

And furthermore, if Google did quit, they would still get ad revenue from all the millions of iOS users who search through Google on their devices. What can Apple do there? Start up their own search engine?

In reality, Google can't lose in this situation, and I think they are just supporting iOS because they feel like it, they could easily quit that platform and I doubt that they would see any severe consequences. If anything it may encourage more potential users to switch to Android in order to take advantage of their services.

It's highly unlikely they are spending money on App development because they 'feel like it'. They are supporting iOS because it makes them money (ad revenue).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's highly unlikely they are spending money on App development because they 'feel like it'. They are supporting iOS because it makes them money (ad revenue).

I 100% agree that this is the most likely explanation. Google is a business, not a charity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Google only develops Voice Search and Maps for iOS AFAIK, and even then most of the features have been ported across from Android. They are already doing next to nothing on iOS, and besides I don't see any potential ad revenue in the Maps application? The only reason they continue to support Maps on iOS is because the system relies on more people using it, and even then the user installed base for iOS is lower than Android.

This argument that 'Google is a business' and is 'only in it for the money' is not looking at the bigger picture. It's highly likely that in a few years time Android will have near full control of the market a la Windows in the PC sector (might not be true, but is highly likely), the point is, Google are likely not to be making much revenue for the services they provide on iOS especially when compared to standard Google search from a browser where there is ad revenue galore.

I would argue that there is minimal monetary incentive for Google to keep developing iOS apps and the only reason they do so is because they gain more data. If stopping Maps was going to lose them as much money as you suggest they gain from these apps then surely they would have contested Apple's decision to remove their apps as default in some way.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google only develops Voice Search and Maps for iOS AFAIK, and even then most of the features have been ported across from Android. They are already doing next to nothing on iOS

Next to nothing?

Google has the following iOS apps:

iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad

YouTube
    Google Earth
    Google Search
    Google Translate
    Google+
    Google Drive
    Gmail
    Google Voice
    Chrome
    Google+ Local
    Google Play Books
    Google Latitude
    Google Currents
    Google Shopper
    Google Authenticator
    Google TV Remote
    Google Offers
    Blogger
    Panoramio
    Google Offers for Business
    orkut
    Schemer

Optimised for iPad

Google Earth
    Google Search
    Google Translate
    Google+
    Google Drive
    Gmail
    Chrome
    Google Play Books
    Google Currents
    Google Catalogs
    Boutiques

You don't develop 33 apps on a competitor's platform just for fun. You do it to make money. The sheer number of apps listed above just demonstrates how important maximising the number of end users of their services is to Google.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google only develops Voice Search and Maps for iOS AFAIK, and even then most of the features have been ported across from Android. They are already doing next to nothing on iOS, and besides I don't see any potential ad revenue in the Maps application? The only reason they continue to support Maps on iOS is because the system relies on more people using it, and even then the user installed base for iOS is lower than Android.

This argument that 'Google is a business' and is 'only in it for the money' is not looking at the bigger picture. It's highly likely that in a few years time Android will have near full control of the market a la Windows in the PC sector (might not be true, but is highly likely), the point is, Google are likely not to be making much revenue for the services they provide on iOS especially when compared to standard Google search from a browser where there is ad revenue galore.

I would argue that there is minimal monetary incentive for Google to keep developing iOS apps and the only reason they do so is because they gain more data. If stopping Maps was going to lose them as much money as you suggest they gain from these apps then surely they would have contested Apple's decision to remove their apps as default in some way.

Google doesn't have a Maps application on iOS. If you're talking about maps on iOS 5 and below even then the Maps app wasn't maintained by Google as it was coded by Apple (Apple just used Google's API, making Google money). The only reason Google hasn't yet released Maps yet on iOS is because it gives them an advantage over iOS...

YouTube on iOS makes Google money as it shows adverts before a video and has 'featured videos' which people/companies can pay for.

Why would Google argue against Apple taking Google's services away as default apps? Google can just submit their own apps (if they wanted) and make even more money from advertising. They might even decide to leave them off (as with maps) so it can give Android an advantage.

So yes, Google's iOS apps do make money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So yes, Google's iOS apps do make money.

Are you suggesting the revenue from the few apps on iOS is greater than the revenue they get from mobile searches on iDevices?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can make a business case based on either way - having a locked down store means people have to buy your hardware, so make more money from hardware.

Having a store API which allows other hardware to buy your music, movies etc will make you money from consumables.

What your accountants will have to figure out is whether opening up the music sales would make you enough extra revenue on Android to counteract the hardware sales you lose because people can choose alternative devices. It's really a question of what is the leader, the hardware or the software.
    Forum Member
    You can make a business case based on either way - having a locked down store means people have to buy your hardware, so make more money from hardware.

Having a store API which allows other hardware to buy your music, movies etc will make you money from consumables.

What your accountants will have to figure out is whether opening up the music sales would make you enough extra revenue on Android to counteract the hardware sales you lose because people can choose alternative devices. It's really a question of what is the leader, the hardware or the software.

rough numbers apple make $400 on every iPhone sold, just on the hardware, every 2 years. which is a **** of a lot of music.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rough numbers apple make $400 on every iPhone sold, just on the hardware, every 2 years. which is a **** of a lot of music.

Oh yes, it's a huge amount, but I'd guess they make less per unit on iPods. The question is, if the iTunes store, with it's non-DRMd music was available directly on other devices, how many millions/billions more downloads could they sell in a year and would that balance things up.

My gut feeling is that a lot of people don't choose an iPhone because of the iTunes music store, so maybe Apple wouldn't lose them to other phones, but they might gain casual Android users as customers because they've heard of iTunes as a place to buy music.

Anyway, it's unlikely to happen. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, it's a huge amount, but I'd guess they make less per unit on iPods. The question is, if the iTunes store, with it's non-DRMd music was available directly on other devices, how many millions/billions more downloads could they sell in a year and would that balance things up.

My gut feeling is that a lot of people don't choose an iPhone because of the iTunes music store, so maybe Apple wouldn't lose them to other phones, but they might gain casual Android users as customers because they've heard of iTunes as a place to buy music.

Anyway, it's unlikely to happen. :D

This certainly figured in my decision to buy an Android phone instead of an Apple phone 18 months ago.

My wife installed iTunes on my PC once and it was horrid. It changed many default settings on my PC and hogged resources. It took ages to get everything back to normal and I made my wife promise never to instal it again.