Options

Bit of help needed with TVs, ok, a lot of help.

First things first, i work at a well known electrical store in the UK, so i SHOULD know a lot about TVs, however, said store tends to focus on PCs (i'm sure you can now guess said store) and so most of my knowledge is about the latter.

BASICALLY, my parents need a new TV. We have an old JVC one which isn't particularly massive, and since they've paid off the mortgage nowadays they like treating themselves, and why not lol. As i work at such a store they've given me the task of finding a decent package to get them. Basically i need some help from some people in the know about prices and other things like that.

In terms of a TV, we're probably looking at about 32", where i work we do a very good Samsung one for about £749, but feel free to give me some other good brands here. Then, obviously my parents want to get the most out of it, so theyre looking at surround sound and HD. In terms of the surround sound, i know there's a decent Samsung kit at about £180 with all the trimmings shall we say, would i need a cable to connect that up with the TV?

Then the HD, and that's where i should know more than i actually do. We've been on the full sky package since 2001, so my mum and dad are looking at taking up Sky HD and probably Sky+. How much would that all be? Is Sky HD an extra £10 a a month? E.g. set top box prices etc.

Thanks for any help, just feel free to throw opinions out. Also, feel free to abuse me for my lack of knowledge concerning TVs, i'm meant to be on a course this Friday but can't go :D

Thanks again guys.
Tom

Comments

• Options
    KojackKojack Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky HD is also Sky+ same style just with the HiDef so unless your parents are looking at multiroom then you only need the Sky HD which will cost about £199 + because they will have to install a second cable for the + feature of dual recordings & so on. & yes it is £10 extra per month for HD

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic & Sharp all make pretty good LCDs I prefer Plasma at the moment only becuase I watch Std Def & not HD, but even when we get HD next month most of the programs are still Std Def & Plasma is slighlty better for that. Also Plasma TV's start at 37"

Surround sound I prefer seperate components & not all in 1 jobs so sorry I can't help you out there.