"Meltis" New Berry Fruits Just Aren't What They Used To Be

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
Forum Member
As a child, I treasured visits from family friends who brought with them a box of Meltis New Berry Fruits , the jelly sweet, brimful of juicy liquid appropriate to the colour you'd selected. (I tended to avoid the green ones although I'm now a Celtic football fan). A recent argument with good friends concluded that either the confectionary in question had never gone away or had been re-introduced. Well, these fine people from the leafy, high-class, crime-free Edinburgh suburb of Colinton arrived the other evening bearing the gift of a box of the aforementioned confectionary. Before I could sink my teeth into them(the sweets that is) there was a verbal caveat that they "aren't as good as they used to be". How true. They're acceptable jellies, make no mistake about it. But where's the famous liquid centre in the sugar crust? Almost nonexistent ! Like HP sauce (unchanged), I notice they're made in Holland by "Hosta Meltis". All very baffling.If anyone at "Hosta Meltis" reads this post, please will you get your syringes out and pump a lot more "fruit" juice into your otherwise fine-tasting sweeties.I hope my comments aren't Double Dutch to them. Also I notice they've dropped the famous "Meltis" name from the front of the box. Could that be significant in some way ? We Meltis lovers need to know.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had similar fond memories of Christmases past and Granny allowing us one precious jewel of a Jelly!

We order four boxes on the Internet.

I did not like them at all. Maybe tastes change as we get older. Maybe they changed the Recipe? We were very disappointed and gave the three un-opened boxes away to elderly rellies.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had similar fond memories of Christmases past and Granny allowing us one precious jewel of a Jelly!

We order four boxes on the Internet.

I did not like them at all. Maybe tastes change as we get older. Maybe they changed the Recipe? We were very disappointed and gave the three un-opened boxes away to elderly rellies.

This would make them Rellie Jellies then, I suppose. ;)
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also bought two boxes when I saw them today in Beales in Worthing. My sister was with me and she bought some too. Like Ninian we could not tear open the packs quick enough but what a disappointment, most of the jellies had no liquid middle. I thought I would send them an e-mail but so far am unable to find them on line.
  • TigerlilyTigerlily Posts: 9,867
    Forum Member
    I used to love Meltis New Berry Fruits too, but thanks for the warning. If I see any around my way, I shall avoid the temptation knowing now that I will be disappointed!