Did they ever record any TV stows near where you live

Comments

• daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midsomer Murders is often filmed around south bucks and more recently, something with Martin Clunes being a town crier or something like that.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    marling wrote: »
    Really showing my age here but the Doctor in the House series was filmed at my local (as was then) hospital, but renamed for the series as St Swithin's. Every summer they held a fete there and the cast would turn up.

Hospital now a block of flats.

Ah, you used to live in Wanstead, then!

I hope they didn't demolish Wanstead Hospital when they converted it into flats. I'm sure it's a listed building, anyway.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    Lovejoy was filmed around this area. The local railway line was even named after the programme for a while before eventually becoming the Gainsborough Line, which featured in Great British Railway Journeys a year ago.

There was a lecturer at the university where I work who owned "Lovejoy's Cottage" at the time. I can remember her talking to us about the filming that was going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you see how many films , Music videos , tv series and adverts are on screen you'd expect to see a flaming camera crew on every street corner in every town :)
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much of Dad's Army was filmed in the town where I grew up. That's Thetford in Norfolk
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingdom (that lawyer comedy-drama starring Stephen Fry) was filmed in Swaffham, Norfolk (about 20 miles from where I live).

I thought it was rubbish though!
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctors (lots of location filming takes place at the bottom of my road...there is one house in particular that is used and a tennis club) the Heath Mill? building they use is around the corner.
    I have driven past them filming many times! Only seen 2 episodes, mostly to spot places I know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale, Heartbeat & Playing the Field among many others. Loads of stuff gets filmed round here, not too far from YTV (as was...) and yet in the "countryside".
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'Dot's Story' programmes on Eastenders where filed at a farm along the lane from us here in Snowdonia! June Brown was staying locally. It featured her character revisiting the war time evacuation area!
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Eastenders is filmed in parts of Hertfordshire I believe?

Donm't know what the show was but an ITV drama was filmed in a house in St Albans....

Yes Mark-Eastenders is filmed in Hertfordshire
    For me where I was bought up in Highbury there use to be a studio next to my primary school and Emergency Ward 10 was filmed there.
    They then shut down the studios and moved it to Midlands and studios pulled down and flats built
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Citizen Smith (when I lived in London)

Two point four children (some outdoor shots) & The movie Let Him Have It (when I lived in Reading)
  • andy-iandy-i Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    "Last tango in Halifax" was filmed around Calderdale but I cant remember any scenes that were actually filmed in Halifax town center!

They filmed the 2 "Skipton" car parks in Hebden Bridge very close to were I work.

And "Southowram Hall" doesn't exist. It was filmed in Shibden Hall which as been used for a few TV show IIRC.

I'm not sure where the farm was though. Would love to know if anyone else recognised the location.
  • LancslassLancslass Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    John Bishop and Sheridan Smith filmed the "Panto" drama in Lancaster where I live, they were here for a few weeks, and in nearby Morecambe the BBC filmed that series last year about families living thro different eras in the same house. Enjoyed those programmes but cannot remember the title.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always plenty of BBC Wales filming in Newport. Favourite locations are Tredegar House and St Woolas cemetery which have been used several times in Who and Sherlock amongst others but there are other spots around the city including the cafe in Pill used for Being Human and the Gaer which is a favourite BBC council estate of choice used in Torchwood and the forthcoming batch of Who episodes. Parts of the city centre have also featured in Sarah Jane Adventures and Wizards and Aliens.

I work near Tredegar Park where the crew normally parks up if they are filming in the area and it's always exciting to see their vehicles there. They were there again this week filming something for Casualty nearby.

Newport is the new Hollywood don't cha know :D.

Please don't say that out loud the local council will want a giant NEWPORT sign on the top of Stow Hill !
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always plenty of BBC Wales filming in Newport. Favourite locations are Tredegar House and St Woolas cemetery which have been used several times in Who and Sherlock amongst others but there are other spots around the city including the cafe in Pill used for Being Human and the Gaer which is a favourite BBC council estate of choice used in Torchwood and the forthcoming batch of Who episodes. Parts of the city centre have also featured in Sarah Jane Adventures and Wizards and Aliens.

I work near Tredegar Park where the crew normally parks up if they are filming in the area and it's always exciting to see their vehicles there. They were there again this week filming something for Casualty nearby.

Newport is the new Hollywood don't cha know :D.
    fayebeatle wrote: »
    Please don't say that out loud the local council will want a giant NEWPORT sign on the top of Stow Hill !

:D:D:D
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter went to the school where they filmed Waterloo Rd when it was filmed in Rochdale
    It was a primary school that had closed down and the production company (Shed Productions) leased the building from the local Council.

The taxi firm that I used to drive for had the contract to ferry about some of the cast.

I picked Neil morrissey up a couple of times and got his autograph:cool:
    For my wife of course:D:o:o
  • LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The League of Gentlemen...filmed in and around Hadfield and Glossop and I was an extra in series one!
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the mid 80s they filmed in the local launderette, down the road from me some scenes of the drama "Dance with a Stranger" about Ruth Ellis, the last person to be hanged. This was in the North London area N4.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a TV show but a movie location.

My son and DIL live right opposite the four houses used in The Beatles "Help" movie. One of the Pubs they used is also around the corner.

They regularly have Beatle fans waking down the street just to photograph the houses.......mostly young Japanese girls!
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Much of Dad's Army was filmed in the town where I grew up. That's Thetford in Norfolk

My Auntie lives on the outskirts of Elveden, on the Thetford side, and a couple of cousins live in Thetford - when I was a child in the 70s the only holiday we could afford was to stay with my Auntie (my Uncle worked on a dairy farm across the road on the edge of Thetford forest) so we used to go to Thetford a lot and it was my first real taste of realising tv programmes (i.e. Dad's Army) could be made in real places!

As for where I live now, though, I can only think of one barely-known, unheard of and never-repeated detective series called 'Bergerac' :p;):D !!
  • marclamarcla Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A programme called Blooming marvellous,
    Eternal law.
    Some editions of channel 4 racing
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayebeatle wrote: »

If that ever happened they would inevitably end up spelling it wrong :D.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Making Out", a late eighties or early nineties drama about female workers in a Northern mill was made in a neighbouring town, with some scenes being filmed in my home town.

I once saw a scene from the ITV drama "Band of Gold" being filmed in a neighbouring town.

"Life on Mars" wasn't filmed too far from where I lived, with the main character being named after my home town.

These were all filmed near my home town in the North West, I now live down South, but feel no affinity to the place I'm living, so the ones filmed near my hometown have more meaning to me.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Not a TV show but a movie location.

My son and DIL live right opposite the four houses used in The Beatles "Help" movie. One of the Pubs they used is also around the corner.

They regularly have Beatle fans waking down the street just to photograph the houses.......mostly young Japanese girls!

I have often wondered where those four houses were. Each of the Beatles walked into a different house and then inside it was all one big house. Obviously there weren't really like that inside. Is it somewhere in London? I believe a lot of the film was made near to Pinewood Studios but I may be wrong.
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Only fools and horses was filmed in Hull once :D