Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    don't let logic get in the way of a good news story, we must have the two big channels moaning at all times :p

Personally, as I've said before, I don't think any talent show should be starting as late as 8pm. So ITV have done the 'right thing' in showing it earlier (though could have been nicer and started at 7.30pm)

Judging by the daily consolidated data we've seen (via Doctor Who fans) I think a fair few people will record TV for later viewing.

I therefore expect lots of 'cr@p overnights, better consolidated' type posts :D

Or great overnights, poor consolidation, though that's more unlikely. BGT doesn't usually timeshift as well as shows like The Voice and Doctor Who which do so by 1m+.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV mentioned Beckham's involvement briefly tonight too. :D

I tell you, it's no wonder ITV Sport has such a piss-poor reputation. The build up was 30 mins of chatter about Becks, a pre-match "I still want to play for England" interview with Becks, Tyldesley waffled on about Becks all night in commentary despite his anonymous performance on the pitch and substitution (I don't think Clive even noticed). And of course when Beckhamchester United St Germain equalised (not Beckham, as it happened), there were shades of '99 from the over-reaction in the commentary box.... :rolleyes:

It wasn't 30mins, it was 15mins.
    Courtesy of Yog101 on the doctor who ratings thread:

As of today:

SNT: 7,283m excl. +1 (7,818 with +1)
    The Voice: 7,291m
    Doctor Who: 8,035m

The Voice timeshift is slowing as is SNT. With +1, I think SNT will get 8m; without below 7.5m. I think around the same for TVUK.

The whole why couldn't ITV have put BGT at 8.15pm row is irrelevant. ITV submitted BGT's time of 7pm before the BBC changed The Voice's timeslot to 6.45pm.

If anyone wants to play the 'dirty tricks' card then I think ITV will have some questions to answer. They moved BGT's starting date back 3 weeks last year, just to clash with The Voice. This year, they have put BGT out an hour earlier than normal. Whatever way you look at it, I think ITV feel genuinely threatened by The Voice.

Whilst I will no doubt get abuse for the above comment, it does say a lot about how Cowell rates The Voice. He obviously sees it as a threat to BGT, and by trying to kill it off is admitting how poorly his shows have been rating in the last couple of years. Sure it's disappointing that they'll clash, but it'll do damage to both. With the 15mins earlier start, I do see The Voice coming out on top.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    jda135 wrote: »
    Sure it's disappointing that they'll clash, but it'll do damage to both. With the 15mins earlier start, I do see The Voice coming out on top.

Taking into account that SNT is a much smaller show than BGT and happened to beat it in an almost complete clash and not lose much viewers, at least not compared to the rating it launched to a month ago.

We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Sure it's disappointing that they'll clash, but it'll do damage to both. With the 15mins earlier start, I do see The Voice coming out on top.
    You'd get good odds on that.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    ...via Sky is one of the better ways, as ITV Player is ad free.

I didn't know that

wow something that makes me think nicer about Sky :eek: :p
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Taking into account that SNT is a much smaller show than BGT and happened to beat it in an almost complete clash and not lose much viewers, at least not compared to the rating it launched to a month ago. .

It's also worth taking into account the equal fatigue levels which are proving detrimental to both talent shows, and Cowell shows, in equal measure just now.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    It's also worth bearing in mind the tagline from AVP: Alien vs Predator

"Whoever Wins...We Lose"

:D
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    But, some people who watch a programme on their Sky+/V+HD/Virgin TiVo/Freesat+/Freeview+/Youview boxes don't bother to fast forward the adverts. Therefore, generating some ad revenue for commercial television broadcasters. So, they are bound to be concerned to some extent about the final overall viewing figures.

Do they really :eek:
    How bizarre :D

I've not seen an advert for years - even if I'm watching a programme at the time it's on I always give it 15-20mins head start for anything on ITV/Sky and 5-10 for BBC. We always finish about the same time :cool:

I must be an ad mans nightmare. :o
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worry this has turned into a bit of silliy argument. I don't think this clash serves anyone right at all. The 15 min head start for the voice won't make much difference.

I think ITV have been silly. They are defiantly going to win and the voice may well put in quite a low number but BGT is going to be alot lower than it could be. The voice should timeshift well and I can still getting a good 7m in the officials which is good. But because the voice will lose this battle somehow in some peoples mind that means it severs the BBC right.:confused:

I can see BGT getting about 10m in the officials to the voices 7m. Now to me that's great for the BBC because what else could do that. But this silly battle that should have been avoided is going to end up with the the voice being judjed on it's overnights which will be poor.

But we know that's not the whole sort. I blame ITV on this one. The BBC can put there programs on whenever they like so can ITV so for ITV to say they should have put it on in January is rich. They avoided a clash last year and they helped each other out now ITV seemingly has a point to prove and want's to kill the voice off and in some peoples mind they will do that.

Where I think the blame can be put on the BBC is there reliance on casualty and the lottery. Those two shows are going to come of quite well out of this but what the BBC should have done is reduce the lottery to a 10 min draw and use pointless celebrities. Doctor who has no live viewing so would not be impacted by a BGT clash it would timeshift anyway. Also shorten The voice to 80 mins .

6.20:Pointless celebrities
    7:05: Doctor Who
    7:50: Lottery Draw
    8:00: Casualty
    8:50:The Voice
    10:10:News
    10:30: Match of the day

Okay you are putting 10 mins of a lottery draw up against BGT. Okay Doctor who may suffer a bit. But we know DW time shifts well and can make up the small loss. But you have avoided the clash.

The BBC have there hands tied though. They have to start MOTD at half 10. They have to have lottery and casualty need to be there.

It's harder for them and ITV know that. ITV Are stupid though, It's a worse slot 7pm. 8:30 is absolutely fine. This is not BBC bias it's my opinion.

But scheduling, ratings normally catch the BBC out and they have sadly lost this one. Even if the voice gets 5m on the night. BGT wont be getting 9.5 at 7pm for Christ sake!

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't 30mins, it was 15mins.

The Voice timeshift is slowing as is SNT. With +1, I think SNT will get 8m; without below 7.5m. I think around the same for TVUK.

The whole why couldn't ITV have put BGT at 8.15pm row is irrelevant. ITV submitted BGT's time of 7pm before the BBC changed The Voice's timeslot to 6.45pm.

If anyone wants to play the 'dirty tricks' card then I think ITV will have some questions to answer. They moved BGT's starting date back 3 weeks last year, just to clash with The Voice. This year, they have put BGT out an hour earlier than normal. Whatever way you look at it, I think ITV feel genuinely threatened by The Voice.

Whilst I will no doubt get abuse for the above comment, it does say a lot about how Cowell rates The Voice. He obviously sees it as a threat to BGT, and by trying to kill it off is admitting how poorly his shows have been rating in the last couple of years. Sure it's disappointing that they'll clash, but it'll do damage to both. With the 15mins earlier start, I do see The Voice coming out on top.

Sadly not I'm afraid. If the voice could get a clear run I am convinced it could do well. The BBC just need to throw it on in january next year. Big promotion over christmas.

They can then find something steady that can hold up against BGT and end this stupid foolish behaviour.

I agree with you this time around ITV are being silly. The only thing the BBC did wrong last year was shout about there success and rub it in. That was a fatal error.

I blame ITV and if they get there lowest figure for a BGT launch for some time we should not be surprised. But the won't care because it will still beat the voice and the tabloids are already on there side.

This is stupid and I see no joy in it at all.

We are being deprived two good figures here. Now the BBC have moved the voice back there is a slot available to move BGT forward.

Ken
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    It's also worth bearing in mind the tagline from AVP: Alien vs Predator

"Whoever Wins...We Lose"

:D

I burst out laughing at this post. Bravo sir.

And I think Cowell's hubris will come back to bite him in the ass with this move.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Beckhamchester United vs The Mighty Messi's Barcelona, a game hyped up to buggery by the ITV PR fluffers.

It was hardly FC Sofia vs Torshavn.... :rolleyes:

Why once the English sides went out was it declared by some as a complete disaster then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon it's most probably down to Mr Cowell I mean can that guy be even more smug

He's almost as smug as the judges on The Voice!
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Well CSI didn't disgrace itself at 10pm, far from it. Considering the late schedule change it was entitled to do a lot worse. In the end it had almost twice as many viewers as the C4 competition.

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: 1.38 million (7.7%)
    Shameless: 716k (4.1%)

Nice share.

These figures exclude viewers on C4+1 and C5+1.

Might effect catch up figures as my Sky box (so I assume others) failed to switch the times. Luckily I spotted and reset manually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I burst out laughing at this post. Bravo sir.

And I think Cowell's hubris will come back to bite him in the ass with this move.

I wasn't really up on the "Let's hope Cowell fails" thing but this move is shocking.

He's bascaly saying only he is allowed an entertainment show on saturday night and the bbc should be showing cheep filler. When the BBc tries something they say no and kill it off.

You can see why the BBC don't do much of this because there are very little openings. I don't usually take sides but I am on the BBC side for this one.

I will get stick for that and I apologise but I just don't agree.

Outrageous. The BBC should go the January route next year. They need something steady like SNT for spring.

The BBC need to give up on the battle's on Saturday night because they always unfairly come out badly battered.

Ken
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Yes this move could backfire on Cowell. Look at the ratings for previous BGT launch, it needs to be getting 10million overnight rating to match then past launches otherwise its in ratings decline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is scheduling it at the same time killing it off?, Two dramas are scheduled opposite each other many times every week.

Are people admitting that The Voice is in such poor shape that it'll only succeed if a blank screen is shown opposite it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Yes this move could backfire on Cowell. Look at the ratings for previous BGT, it needs to be getting 10million overnight rating to match then past launches otherwise its in ratings decline.

But even if it is there lowest launch bar series 1 he will still win and grab the headlines.

It wind's me up and unfairly the BBC's Saturday schedule is now totally ruined. they have no chance now.

The Voice a show with a few problems but a show that could have done so much better will now be axed because of political pressure and I thin that's unfair. All because they couldn't work together.

Wasted opportunity. The BBC will now have to focus on home grown series and I see this as a big low point in the history of BBC LE.

Ken
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Why is scheduling it at the same time killing it off?, Two dramas are scheduled opposite each other many times every week.

Are people admitting that The Voice is in such poor shape that it'll only succeed if a blank screen is shown opposite it?

Both have a major crossover audience, like The Voice and SNT on Saturday night just gone. Different dramas appeal to different demos, whereas entertainment shows are made for a broad audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

No I am saying even if it holds up respectably an timeshifts well it will still get a bollocking because it's lost. Even if it's done okay.

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Considering Jan/Feb was a BLACK HOLE schedule-wise..this would have been perfect for both.

Didn't they realise it was a very cold winter this year, and thought we'd all be out clubbing it after being broke after Xmas?

Pathetic. I'm not a fan of DW, Voice or BGT - but this serves the BBC right :D

What?For putting a couple of popular programs on telly!

Ken:(
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    There is one thing that will win out, and that is the British weather. Both shows will lose out if we get nice weather and the BBQ's come out. :D

Re: the winter thing, I expect they don't want to run The Voice so soon after the XF, but Doctor Who would do so much better in the depths of winter and the darker nights.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC1 should be going with

5.25 Family film repeat
    6.50 DW
    7.35 Casualty
    8.25 The Voice
    9.55 Lotto
    10.05 News
    10.25 MOTD

They changed Creek at the 11th hour to avoid Corrie. They can do the same now with The Voice, in the public interest and to avoid a clash of the two similar shows.

In fact, they could do the above now for this coming Saturday too, to bed the above shows into their new regular slots.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Tough luck for The Voice; The BBC is using public money it's supposed to be the height of a PSB, it shouldn't be competitive like this. If anyone should move it's the beeb, ITV can do whatever they like frankly. The broadcasters aren't equals and it bewilders me that people treat them as such.
This discussion has been closed.