Options

Sally Morgan

Comments

• Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    'Seeing something' is, in itself, a pretty poor way of determining whether something you see is real or not, since the brain takes numerous shortcuts when analysing sensory information and is very easily fooled.
    Not blank point range on a fine day its not. I can still describe the guy, his clothing and see him as I was so surprised. It was real and I thought he was some stranger in my garden looking for someone

Followed to ask if I could help etc and whoosh gone.I have never been to mediums. However I do believe in the possibility of different dimensions to explain it.Our perceptions are restricted to the senses so what else is around us that beyond our senses.
    Foetuses talking from the grave I don't buy.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    quasimoron wrote: »
    Not blank point range on a fine day its not. I can still describe the guy, his clothing and see him as I was so surprised. It was real and I thought he was some stranger in my garden looking for someone

Followed to ask if I could help etc and whoosh gone.I have never been to mediums. However I do believe in the possibility of different dimensions to explain it.Our perceptions are restricted to the senses so what else is around us that beyond our senses.
    Foetuses talking from the grave I don't buy.

I don't doubt the existence of ghosts. The only question is: what are they? It's a question we have yet to answer, but there are a number of plausible theories that have been put forward by scientists. I have to say that I find it very difficult to believe that a ghost is the conscious spirit of a deceased person who has somehow lived on.

I have yet to see any convincing evidence that mediums are anything other than charlatans using a number of well documented techniques. Believe me, I have studied this at length!
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It only became specific because you tied it to something specific.

Canada, it's a start, but I bet good money it went through a whole lot of things like "foreign/ abroad/ America/ no not America, Canada" to get there. Mountains is a reasonable guess. And heavy boots is a no brainer, nobody is going to say mountains and flip flops. A man is 50-50.

Sorry about your cousin. :(
    Indeed. It's interesting how these psychics who can allegedly say "X died in Y wearing Z" to an anonymous stranger only seem to exist in anecdotes. The psychics who are actually recorded always need a bit more help. Perhaps recording equipment gives off "negative energy" or something?
  • Options
    Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I saw Derren Brown on Monday, part of the second act is him giving messages to audience members pretending they're from dead relatives.
    He does the segment as if there is a spirit there, but keeps saying 'not really, there's no one there'. He gave four or five messages, all exactly right, showing it's all done by trickery and/or cold reading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pearl McG wrote: »
    I saw Derren Brown on Monday, part of the second act is him giving messages to audience members pretending they're from dead relatives.
    He does the segment as if there is a spirit there, but keeps saying 'not really, there's no one there'. He gave four or five messages, all exactly right, showing it's all done by trickery and/or cold reading.

Is there any footage of him doing this online?

I've looked, but can't find any. I've always been interested to see how good he is at cold reading.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pearl McG wrote: »

I don't care how good he is at this trickery, he simply cannot tell you what was said in a conversation between you and a loved one not long before they died.....especially if what was said wasn't the usual and common stuff.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a good old psychic debate growing up again.

I can predict it will end up as a bitter battle between just a few people.

Nobody prepared to do long term monitoring of real prediction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't care how good he is at this trickery, he simply cannot tell you what was said in a conversation between you and a loved one not long before they died.....especially if what was said wasn't the usual and common stuff.

Neither can a medium.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Neither can a medium.

That's it though. If they can, they're genuine.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not necessarily. It very much depends on the nature of the conversation the medium tells you the spirit is recalling.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what is the evidence that they can?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. It's interesting how these psychics who can allegedly say "X died in Y wearing Z" to an anonymous stranger only seem to exist in anecdotes. The psychics who are actually recorded always need a bit more help. Perhaps recording equipment gives off "negative energy" or something?

It happens in readings as well.

The best source of information for working out how it all works is transcripts or recordings of readings. Analyse the dialogue and you discover how those 'things they couldn't possibly have known' manage to come to light.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked, but can't find any. I've always been interested to see how good he is at cold reading.

I doubt very much that Derren Brown uses cold reading in his act.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's pretty much a waste of time to be honest. You can't actually learn anything from it. Least of all, anything to do with mediumship or other psychic claims.
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But how can one be genuine ? Its not possible.
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Apologies people, I am not meaning to take over this thread but the subject fascinates me- not the mediums, more the psychology of their supporters, and belief systems that some people will buy into, despite the overwhelming evidence to suggest it's all a con.

Sorry if this have been posted before, but it makes for rather interesting viewing.

Derren Brown and Richard Dawkins (you've got to love these guys eh?) discussing mediums, their quite widely known practices such as Barnum Statements, win win questions that mediums pose etc..

Here is part 1- Derren Brown Interview - Richard Dawkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xswt8B8-UTM

I love Richard Dawkins . he's not on TV anywhere near as much as he should be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It happens in readings as well.

The best source of information for working out how it all works is transcripts or recordings of readings. Analyse the dialogue and you discover how those 'things they couldn't possibly have known' manage to come to light.
    That's what I was suggesting; sitters may remember the psychic saying "X died in Y wearing Z" as if the information was plucked from thin air in an instant. Such as the wheelbarrow and rock climbing stories on this thread. There's no suggestion of the sitters giving anything away in those anecdotes, although that's almost certainly what happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt very much that Derren Brown uses cold reading in his act.

I would have thought that he must do a little, as so much of his act is a "trick of the mind" as he puts it. Cold reading is very much a trick of the mind.

He also speaks about cold reading as if he is something of an expert on it, but I've never actually seen him do it.
  • Options
    Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    He wasn't guessing conversations, he was guessing names, the relation, the age when the person died and some strange unique fact about them. He wrote the facts down before checking with the person.
    I don't think there'll be much footage online, no photography or filming is allowed.
    And he does ask you don't tell people about the show.
    Oops, hope I haven't given too much away. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you have set a very specific criterion based on a conversation you had with a loved one before they died? Has any psychic ever demonstrated such abilities to your satisfaction?

Edit: Just had a trawl and I see you answered my question six months ago.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62229597&postcount=428
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed, and it just comes down to cold-reading, hot reading and remembering the hits and ignoring the misses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also speaks about cold reading as if he is something of an expert on it, but I've never actually seen him do it.

Derren did it on the show called 'Messiah'.

Well worth watching:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/4od#2921957
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cold reading is very much a trick of the mind.

No, it is a very real technique of getting information from people and projecting it back on them through guess work and previous experience of what people are expecting from such events and why they are there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    No, it is a very real technique of getting information from people and projecting it back on them through guess work and previous experience of what people are expecting from such events and why they are there.

Would you not say that getting information from people without them realising it and then essentially relaying it back to them is a trick of the mind? I certainly would.

There are many different facets to cold reading.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

I'm willing to take this challenge. I've been meaning to do it for a few months now. There is a psychic/ghost magazine (It's fate or some rubbish like that) that usually makes it's way to me (I get the Fortean Times, so obviously it's the same thing :rolleyes:) and they have a psychic predicting things that will happen over the next month. I'm up for transcribing the predictions here every time the magazine lands in my lap, and at the end of each month we can see exactly how accurate this 'world class' psychic is?