Options

Important Product Safety Information about your Sky products

evolution202evolution202 Posts: 189
Forum Member
Has anyone else received the email from Sky regarding possibly faulty On Demand Connectors or Sky Wireless Boosters?

I think they'll only send the email to people who they have a record of receiving one of the devices through them. But I know a couple of people who have them, who didn't get them through Sky.......

This is the email:

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION: ACTION REQUIRED

I'm writing to you because our records show that you have an On Demand Connector and/or a Sky Wireless Booster in use in your home. Please refer to the images below to see whether you are currently using one of these.

Our quality checking process has identified a possible safety issue with the power adaptor that was included with your product. Our investigations tell us this issue only affects a small number of units, but it's important to carry out the steps below to identify whether the fault exists on yours.

How to check your power adaptor

• First of all, switch off the electricity at the wall socket
• If you don’t have a switch at the wall socket, please turn off your electricity at the mains. If you are concerned about doing this then please call us and we’ll be happy to help
• Carefully unplug the power adaptor from the wall socket
• If the power adaptor feels loose or starts to come apart while you're unplugging it, then please check again that you have switched the electricity off at the wall socket or the mains
• Once you've removed the power adaptor please check to see if it has both screws fully inserted as per the picture. If one or both screws are missing, do not plug the adaptor back in.

If you find that the adaptor is missing one or both screws, or you have any concerns then please call, free of charge on 08000 152 582 if you are in the UK or 1800 927 494 if you are in the Republic of Ireland, and we will arrange to exchange it for a new unit immediately.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, but customer safety is our primary concern.

Regards

Chris Stylianou
Managing Director, Customer Services

I have tried to ring the number given (because mine is missing the screws). But after half an hour on hold, I gave up and have emailed them instead.

Comments

• Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wireless connector which i got of sky some 6 months ago is useless downloads take forever. i will give it a check and see what happens.
  • Options
    cliftonhillcliftonhill Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I didn't get the email so does that mean mine (bought from Sky) is ok?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd check it anyway, just to be on the safe side.

But perhaps it's only a certain batch, and they know who got one from that batch, hence certain people will get the email and others won't.

Worth checking it anyway, just to be sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, I meant to say, if anyone wants the actual email, PM me and I'll forward it on to you.

The email has a picture at the bottom, showing where to check on the plug, but obviously I couldn't copy and paste it into this thread.
  • Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got the email, and I did get mine from Sky. After checking mine it's fine.:)
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the email today. I've just checked my wireless connector and Wi-Fi booster and no problems thankfully.
  • Options
    battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am using a USB adapter so didn't even bother checking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    battlezone wrote: »
    Am using a USB adapter so didn't even bother checking.

Well, I guess if you're not using the product that has a possible fault, there probably wasn't a need to check was there? :confused:

It would be like Ford saying they were recalling the Focus due to a problem..... Then you replying to say that you drive a Vauxhall so won't bother checking.

Well, duh. Obviously.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please note that there are two kinds of Sky Connectors.

Well there must be three types as I have a Netgear Wireless connector that is powered from the mains
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there must be three types as I have a Netgear Wireless connector that is powered from the mains

Yes there is,
    The original wireless connector was from the old Anytime+ days and had a curved front like the Sky box.
    Then they launched the new version when it became OnDemand, which is the one with the issue.
    Then came the wireless connector mini which uses only USB.
  • Options
    battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, duh. Obviously.

Handbags :D
  • Options
    Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have only just got the email this afternoon, so they seem to be quite slow sending them out.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have only just got the email this afternoon, so they seem to be quite slow sending them out.

Same here, checked the ones I received though and they're fine.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    Yes there is,
    The original wireless connector was from the old Anytime+ days and had a curved front like the Sky box.
    Then they launched the new version when it became OnDemand, which is the one with the issue.
    Then came the wireless connector mini which uses only USB.

Wrong there are four types
    1 Original curved front Anytime+ type
    2 First On Demand type SC201
    3 Second smaller On Demand type SC301
    4 Mini USB type

All the first three are mains adapter powered
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong there are four types
    1 Original curved front Anytime+ type
    2 First On Demand type SC201
    3 Second smaller On Demand type SC301
    4 Mini USB type

All the first three are mains adapter powered

Interesting, when did the SC301 launch, google doesn't seem to throw anything up.

SC501 and SD501 are 2 types of wireless connector mini (USB) I think. Probably just slight hardware differences.
  • Options
    warrior51warrior51 Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No email, but received the same advice through the post this morning. My plug is ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They sent the emails/letters to a lot of people.
    Presumably they were sent to everyone who received one of the wired OnDemand connectors/boosters just incase and not some.

But the number of connectors/boosters with the issue is rather small so your unlikely to have one that's effected.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    Interesting, when did the SC301 launch, google doesn't seem to throw anything up.

SC501 and SD501 are 2 types of wireless connector mini (USB) I think. Probably just slight hardware differences.

The SC301 is the one illustrated on their "recall" email and I received mine about 3 months ago. The SC201 was larger and a rectangular box without "rounded" edges and corners
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Got my e-mail this morning.
    The Wi-Fi booster is the only thing I have which seems to be affected, and the power unit on mine seems to be fine.
    :)
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got an email and a letter. OH checked and everything is fine.
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else received the email from Sky regarding possibly faulty On Demand Connectors or Sky Wireless Boosters?

I think they'll only send the email to people who they have a record of receiving one of the devices through them. But I know a couple of people who have them, who didn't get them through Sky.......

This is the email:

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION: ACTION REQUIRED

I'm writing to you because our records show that you have an On Demand Connector and/or a Sky Wireless Booster in use in your home. Please refer to the images below to see whether you are currently using one of these.

Our quality checking process has identified a possible safety issue with the power adaptor that was included with your product. Our investigations tell us this issue only affects a small number of units, but it's important to carry out the steps below to identify whether the fault exists on yours.

How to check your power adaptor

• First of all, switch off the electricity at the wall socket
    • If you don’t have a switch at the wall socket, please turn off your electricity at the mains. If you are concerned about doing this then please call us and we’ll be happy to help
    • Carefully unplug the power adaptor from the wall socket
    • If the power adaptor feels loose or starts to come apart while you're unplugging it, then please check again that you have switched the electricity off at the wall socket or the mains
    • Once you've removed the power adaptor please check to see if it has both screws fully inserted as per the picture. If one or both screws are missing, do not plug the adaptor back in.

If you find that the adaptor is missing one or both screws, or you have any concerns then please call, free of charge on 08000 152 582 if you are in the UK or 1800 927 494 if you are in the Republic of Ireland, and we will arrange to exchange it for a new unit immediately.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, but customer safety is our primary concern.

Regards

Chris Stylianou
    Managing Director, Customer Services

I have tried to ring the number given (because mine is missing the screws). But after half an hour on hold, I gave up and have emailed them instead.

I got this email, but on receiving it, it reminded me that i didn't ever receive my connector box which i ordered on one of their free offers!:(
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Got a letter through the post this morning in addition to the e-mail yesterday.
    Belt and braces I suppose.
    :)
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got a letter this morning telling me about this i have checked and everything is ok