Options

River Song's identity: A theory

Comments

• Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The fobwatch thing has happened only twice in 48 years, but in fact, Time Lords have been shown not to recognize each other before. If they were automatically able to recognize each other, the Master's various not so cunning disguises in the old series would never have worked, but they frequently did.

Have there been references to the Doctor being able to detect the presence of individual Time Lords in the new series? I mean, I know he's said before that he'd know whether any Time Lords in general exist anywhere, but would be able to spot one face-to-face?

I guess it's moot - if all it takes is a perception filter, then that seems to be such a widely-available piece of tech that any Time Lord in hiding would be able to use it.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Have there been references to the Doctor being able to detect the presence of individual Time Lords in the new series? I mean, I know he's said before that he'd know whether any Time Lords in general exist anywhere, but would be able to spot one face-to-face?

I guess it's moot - if all it takes is a perception filter, then that seems to be such a widely-available piece of tech that any Time Lord in hiding would be able to use it.

He says in The Sound of Drums, he should have sensed The Master straight off but the Arch Angel network cancelled him out.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I think she's got to be the Doc's wife at some point - anything else and the audience, if they're like me, will feel cheated. There's also something Timelord and a hefty link to the Tardis about her in my opinion, so my best guess is she's something drawn from the Tardis and/or the Doctor's subconscious for a purpose we'll find out.

All the big questions about the season finale have gone unanswered imo and River, the Tardis, and possibly the Tardis are all key to that.
    Listentome wrote: »
    He says in The Sound of Drums, he should have sensed The Master straight off but the Arch Angel network cancelled him out.

I'm pretty certain there were many more mentions in the last few series about the Doctor being aware than that - even that he'd know if others were in existence at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    I think she's got to be the Doc's wife at some point - anything else and the audience, if they're like me, will feel cheated.
    The way they've introduced, and then studiously avoided, the idea of her being the Doctor's wife, I would feel cheated if they did, in fact, admit that, er, actually she is.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    The way they've introduced, and then studiously avoided, the idea of her being the Doctor's wife, I would feel cheated if they did, in fact, admit that, er, actually she is.

Interesting! I think they avoided it until the end of The Big Bang - the Doc asking River if she's married, and her asking if he's asking her to marry him etc. At that point it became very explicit and the whole point between them, I believe, from here on in.

The Doctor, for me, believes he's going to marry this lady now, and for that reason alone I expect it to happen next series.

I'm anticipating something very, very clever around this, though, and don't doubt most of us are. After that little exchange, and the obvious chemistry between them, and huge affection that River has for the Doc, I expect marriage to play some part, but it may be the smallest of small parts (or, it could be the biggest of things - for example, it could all be a huge trap!).

But, that's just me - it's all a matter of interpretation (and preference and whatnot) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Doctor, for me, believes he's going to marry this lady now, and for that reason alone I expect it to happen next series.
    Well, I expect it to be addressed, certainly, but I think marriage will be a blind alley. With Amy asking the Doctor outright in Time of Angels, and the Doctor asking outright (sort of!) in Big Bang, I don't think they'll lead people straight down that line.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    As for River being his daughter, I think it's safe to discount anyone with a familial link to him due to the sexily flirty banter.
    What if she was some more distant ancestor or descendant? If she was his great-great-great grandmother, or great-great-great granddaughter, it wouldn't seem quite so weird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting! I think they avoided it until the end of The Big Bang - the Doc asking River if she's married, and her asking if he's asking her to marry him etc. At that point it became very explicit and the whole point between them, I believe, from here on in.

I'm anticipating something very, very clever around this, though, and don't doubt most of us are. After that little exchange, and the obvious chemistry between them, and huge affection that River has for the Doc, I expect marriage to play some part, but it may be the smallest of small parts (or, it could be the biggest of things - for example, it could all be a huge trap!).

But, that's just me - it's all a matter of interpretation (and preference and whatnot) :)

If it is a trap could it be to make him human so he loses his tardis and timelord form as in family of blood so some evil (possibly the silance) can take over the world. its only when rory and amy find some way of possibly using the lodger tardis (thus corden coming back) maybe by using rivers time agent thing to save the world in some way?

Bit garbled i know but i think you get the point
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    What if she was some more distant ancestor or descendant? If she was his great-great-great grandmother, or great-great-great granddaughter, it wouldn't seem quite so weird.

If he shared any form of what we would percieve as a blood bond, it would still be far too icky to be used in a child-friendly BBC family show. It just isn't appropriate.

Were it a more adult oriented show I would agree, but, alas, it's not!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a thought last night that maybe, as Moffat keeps introducing us to the concept of time being rewritten, River is unwritten! So she never exists anymore and then something happens.

Yeah, it was just a thought. I haven't fleshed it out yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a thought last night that maybe, as Moffat keeps introducing us to the concept of time being rewritten, River is unwritten! So she never exists anymore and then something happens.

Yeah, it was just a thought. I haven't fleshed it out yet.

can see that happening
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I think she's got to be the Doc's wife at some point - anything else and the audience, if they're like me, will feel cheated. There's also something Timelord and a hefty link to the Tardis about her in my opinion, so my best guess is she's something drawn from the Tardis and/or the Doctor's subconscious for a purpose we'll find out.

All the big questions about the season finale have gone unanswered imo and River, the Tardis, and possibly the Tardis are all key to that.

I'm pretty certain there were many more mentions in the last few series about the Doctor being aware than that - even that he'd know if others were in existence at all.

Yes, I'm positive there have been many. The only one I recall right now is Doc9 saying something like 'I'd know'.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping that the fact River and the Doctors timelines are running opposite each other will be addressed too - it can't just be co-incidence as I'm struggling to think of anyone the Doc has encountered who has already met an older version of him.

Going a bit OT but how did River end up at Amy & Rory's wedding before Amy brought back her imaginary friend? It seems a bit catch-22 as it was Rivers' gift of the diary that finally pushed Amy into remembering - but why would River be in 2010 if the Doc was still lost:confused:
  • Options
    HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be a <<much>> future incarnation of The Doctor running the timeline backwards (a la Benjemin Button) for some reason. Although why he/she would be in prison for killing someone I dunno.

Still firmly of the opinion that the regeneration shouldn't be able to change the sex, or as suggested when #9 regenerated, the species of a Time Lord. For the first part of that, imagine the confusion at family get togethers! And as for the second part, remember the scenes in #10's final story where the Time Lords are seen in some type of Senate? No two headed, green, no nose beauties there.

Anyway, back on topic, as long as it isn't The Doctor him/herself I can probably live with most outcomes of this storyline. It is seeming that wife is looking to be the most obvious, but is that a misdirect?
  • Options
    blimpyboyblimpyboy Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be a <<much>> future incarnation of The Doctor running the timeline backwards (a la Benjemin Button) for some reason. Although why he/she would be in prison for killing someone I dunno.

Maybe witnesses see the Doctor get killed from a distance and then she emerges from the smoke (as the regeneration) and they all think she must have been the killer.

Just a thought....
  • Options
    john901250john901250 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Here's a thought... could she be Joan Redfern / Verity Newman..?
    The journal of impossible things is very similar to Rivers diary.. someone had to start the diary and I get the feeling that it was not River..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm hoping that the fact River and the Doctors timelines are running opposite each other will be addressed too - it can't just be co-incidence as I'm struggling to think of anyone the Doc has encountered who has already met an older version of him.
    The only reason for that is that it makes the storytelling more complicated, there's no reason that this couldn't have happened a million times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member

Queen Elizabeth in The Shakespeare Code. Especially since we didn't even expect to hear about her again to explain this!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River Song is River Song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    River Song is a guardian angel, sent to look after the Doctor, only she's forgotten her mission. Or maybe rebelled against it. Or maybe she was sent to destroy the Doctor, and rebelled against that. A fallen angel.

Whatever. She's the Devil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've changed my mind.

She's a gestalt entity composed of the brain patterns of all the Doctor's future human companions, which explains why she knows more about the Doctor that any one of them would, including how to pilot the Tardis, and why she's travelled with him to so many places - she hasn't, but her 'predecessors' have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I think the Moff will address the issue of marriage between the Doctor & River, but as said before, it'll be a quick marriage & something will happen to whisk her away - maybe back to the events in the library, so he can move forward without her. After all, how long will Alex Kingston want to keep reprising the role? This is assuming she was his wife........
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going a bit OT but how did River end up at Amy & Rory's wedding before Amy brought back her imaginary friend? It seems a bit catch-22 as it was Rivers' gift of the diary that finally pushed Amy into remembering - but why would River be in 2010 if the Doc was still lost:confused:

This was posted on twitter a while ago (jan 25th):

? for @steven_moffat. If the Dr was wiped from memory in the S5 finale, how did River know to give Amy the diary to help bring him back?

To which Steven replied:

Because of who she is. You see -- oops, almost said it!!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mel

The 6th Doctor first met her when he was 900 years old, she first met him when he was nearer 950 years old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Mel

The 6th Doctor first met her when he was 900 years old, she first met him when he was nearer 950 years old.

River rips off a mask to reveal the face of Bonnie Langford. :eek:

Now that's scary. :D