Kangaroo Dundee - BBC2 last night

13»

Comments

• pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderful programme, so well done.
    I'm left with so many images, the roos in the supermarket trolley (don't you just know 'elf and safety' would be all over you if you tried this over here), tucked up in bed, jumping into the pillow cases, Roger....
    And what a wonderful, caring and compassionate man.
    It's quite the best thing I've seen on teli for a long time.

Exactly how i feel too. Absolutely mesmerised by both episodes. So inspiring, best wildlife programme i've seen for a long time. Also i'm a little in love with Brolga :o what a catch he would be, so caring and compassionate. :)
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Seems he's had a lot of donations since the first part aired.:cool:

Good, and deservedly so, hope he gets loads more.
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Checkout his ( their ) Facebook page....

Linked from here...

http://www.kangaroosanctuary.com/
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going against the flow here but I had some significant problems with the show. Firstly, I simply couldn't warm to the guy. It just seemed rather too much about him, and with past egomaniac conservationists/animal tormentors (depending on your point of view) like Steve Irwin and, to a lesser extent, the Lion Man, I can do without another one.

Also, everything was so staged, with multi-cutting, multi angles etc, nothing was filmed as it appeared and it simply didn't ring true.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pussyfoot wrote: »
    Exactly how i feel too. Absolutely mesmerised by both episodes. So inspiring, best wildlife programme i've seen for a long time. Also i'm a little in love with Brolga :o what a catch he would be, so caring and compassionate. :)
    I wonder if he would settle for an older woman?
    But could I live without a loo and electricity? :confused:
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Firstly, I simply couldn't warm to the guy. It just seemed rather too much about him,
    Seeing as the programme was specifically about him and his work, I'm not sure how this could be avoided :confused::confused::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Wonderful television - heartwarming, beautifully filmed and nothing I had seen or knew about before.

A must for catch up tv, I highly recommend you watch it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Going against the flow here but I had some significant problems with the show. Firstly, I simply couldn't warm to the guy. It just seemed rather too much about him, and with past egomaniac conservationists/animal tormentors (depending on your point of view) like Steve Irwin and, to a lesser extent, the Lion Man, I can do without another one.

Also, everything was so staged, with multi-cutting, multi angles etc, nothing was filmed as it appeared and it simply didn't ring true.

I disagree with your views on staging etc - the sanctuary is relatively small and the kangaroos are tame so it would indeed be easy to get such intimate and fabulous shots. I don't understand what you mean by nothing was filmed as it appeared .....were you there and saw a different picture or activity?

But I don't think it is quite as remote or Brolga as isolated as the film seemed to portray. They open for visitors at certain times of the year and there is mention of him not being at the sanctuary 24/7 365 - check out the rave reviews on TripAdvisor here....if I ever visit Oz, I'd definitely go see this.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255063-d2324179-r134059444-The_Kangaroo_Sanctuary-Alice_Springs_Red_Centre_Northern_Territory.html#REVIEWS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmypink wrote: »
    I disagree with your views on staging etc....I don't understand what you mean by nothing was filmed as it appeared .....were you there and saw a different picture or activity?

You may have noticed that there was a lot of fast cutting, with many shots only lasting 2 or 3 seconds, then the next cut purporting to show the same thing as it happened closer or at a different angle However, the more eagle eyed viewers will have noticed differences in the position of the kangaroo(s) and/or Dundee with each new cut, demonstrating that this was not the filming of events as they naturally unfolded, but carefully staged scenes. Thus, a scene which lasted 30 seconds on the show may well have taken hours to film.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't care if parts of the show are slightly off (continuity wise). It's pretty much unavoidable in television. Recording equipment might fail, they might not get a shot exactly as they want it, and Brolga himself might not have spoken properly, so a re-shoot would have been required. I am not going to criticize the show for that.

It is such a welcoming change to the usual rubbish the BBC turns out. I hate their soaps and all those property selling/antique/home improvement programs they are obsessed with.

Brolga is an inspirational, passionate, and truly contented man. He is definitely at peace with himself and I think that a great many people could look to him to try and change their lives for the better. People these days are so materialistic, but there he is happy with next to nothing. I would not call him eccentric. I know of a few eccentrics and he is nothing like them.

His kangaroos are just beautiful and have a wonderful bond with Brolga. Watching them brings a big smile to my face and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) However, I hate it when one of them gets sick or if they are threatened by extreme weather.That was one mean storm. I have to say, though, the flames being sucked up into the tornado was visually very impressive.

My Mum is thoroughly enjoying the series too. We'll no doubt be sending a few dollars his way. Thank for the web links. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the staging of many of the scenes instead of filming them as they naturally unfold doesn't bother you, fair enough - at the end of the day it's down to personal taste. I agree that, even with the odd caveat, this show is still far preferable to the seemingly constant diet of dreadful soaps, makeover shows etc that make up so much of the Beeb's output these days..
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a letter in "VIZ" which read :
    "Before you phone your local zoo telling them you have a Kangaroo in your garden, make sure it's not next doors' Greyhound having a dump" :D
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a letter in "VIZ" which read :
    "Before you phone your local zoo telling them you have a Kangaroo in your garden, make sure it's not next doors' Greyhound having a dump" :D

Well, actually, my Mum and I said that our Lurcher (GreyhoundxCollie) looks a little bit like a Kangaroo (depending on what angle you see his head).

Brochan.

Kangaroo.

What do you think?
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show, fascinating about kangaroo Joeys and their mums. I didn't watch it to criticise the way the scenes were cut etc., I just liked that bloke and his dedication and seeing the kangaroos.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Brolga now has a girlfriend >:( and is living in a new home with his new lady :)

The programme is a joy to watch but there is only one episode left. I hope there is another series soon as I will miss this.