Moffat on what could have happened if David had stayed

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From DWM:

How different (if at all) would the story arc for your first season have been if David Tennant had stayed on for one more year?

"I only had the roughest idea. Had David stayed for one final year, it would certainly have been his last, so my pitch was that it would start with the TARDIS crashing in Amelia's back garden - as now - and a terribly battered and bruised Tenth Doctor staggering out. Amelia finds him, feeds him fish custard (no that was for Matt, it would have been something more Davidy) and generally helps him. But we, the audience, can see he's in a truly bad way. Dying maybe. Eventually he heads back to his TARDIS, and flies off.
But when he returns - many years later for Amy - he seems perfectly fine, and indeed doesn't remember any of those events...And of course over time, we realise what we saw was the Tenth Doctor at the end of his life, about to regenerate.
Events that we return to in Episode 13..."

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    From DWM:

How different (if at all) would the story arc for your first season have been if David Tennant had stayed on for one more year?

"I only had the roughest idea. Had David stayed for one final year, it would certainly have been his last, so my pitch was that it would start with the TARDIS crashing in Amelia's back garden - as now - and a terribly battered and bruised Tenth Doctor staggering out. Amelia finds him, feeds him fish custard (no that was for Matt, it would have been something more Davidy) and generally helps him. But we, the audience, can see he's in a truly bad way. Dying maybe. Eventually he heads back to his TARDIS, and flies off.
    But when he returns - many years later for Amy - he seems perfectly fine, and indeed doesn't remember any of those events...And of course over time, we realise what we saw was the Tenth Doctor at the end of his life, about to regenerate.

That sounds pretty fantastic. I almost wish this had happened so less people obstinately rejected the show when Moffat took over out of some illogical sense of loyalty to Tennant.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From DWM:

Sounds like an interesting idea. It would have been a markedly different Series 5 if David had stayed.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean, had David stayed for series 5 we wouldn't have got The End of Time?
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Does this mean, had David stayed for series 5 we wouldn't have got The End of Time?

Prior to brain-storming End of Time, Davies had planned a one-part story where the Doctor would save an ordinary alien family from a radiation leak, the idea of Ten dying for something very insignificant in life's grand scheme worked it's way into End of Time as his sarcifice to save Wilf.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omfg,,,,,just plain silly! i mean the concept there is pretty twisted....but i am so glad Tennant met his end with RTD...i mean series 5 really was a fantastic debut series for Matt to start it from scratch...for the Fish finvers & Custard alone...like Moff said even THAT wouldnt have happened :( So yeah i am gald he didnt stay on for that reason...but many many others too :)
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just glad the Amy Pond obession was confined to the Matt Smith years!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just glad the Amy Pond obession was confined to the Matt Smith years!

And the Rose Tyler obsession confined to the Tennant years? :D
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ZING! :D

---

I have to say that does sound pretty legendary. Not to mention giving Ten a far less self-indulgent, and all round more poignant goodbye. Really like it. Would have probably helped Matt's Doctor settle in a bit better too, rather than relying on the remains of Ten's Brown Suit as the only immediate linking factor between Doctor eras.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZING! :D

---

I have to say that does sound pretty legendary. Not to mention giving Ten a far less self-indulgent, and all round more poignant goodbye. Really like it. Would have probably helped Matt's Doctor settle in a bit better too, rather than relying on the remains of Ten's Brown Suit as the only immediate linking factor between Doctor eras.

Although this does raise the possiblity of the new Doctor only having A Christmas Carol to establish himself, before being gunned down to death in his second episode...! :D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting idea but I'm glad that Tennant left with RTD and we got Moffat's era starting off with Smith though.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad David didn't stay on.

Moffat's style is a bit fairytale and fantasy compared to RTD. It just wouldn't suit Ten in my opinion.

I don't think anyone could work with Steven's writing better than Matt.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

And the Eccleston year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the Eccleston year

Not really. I was referring to Tennant's years being...
    2 - In love with Rose.
    3 - Pining for Rose.
    4 - Reunion/Constant appearance of Rose.

In series 1 she was just a companion, no obsession. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Not really. I was referring to Tennant's years being...
    2 - In love with Rose.
    3 - Pining for Rose.
    4 - Reunion/Constant appearance of Rose.

In series 1 she was just a companion, no obsession.[/QUOTE]Ignoring the kiss in the finale...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignoring the kiss in the finale...

Kiss does not equal obsession.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Ignoring the kiss in the finale...

She wasn't obsessed with him in Series 1, I was watching Father's Day earlier and Rose was getting annoyed that people keep thinking she and The Doctor are a couple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wasn't obsessed with him in Series 1, I was watching Father's Day earlier and Rose was getting annoyed that people keep thinking she and The Doctor are a couple.
    I don't think she was obsessed in s1, but I think there were definitely some romantic feelings on her side.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've not, on the whole, enjoyed the show as much since SM took over I'm glad that DT didn't stay on as I don't think SM's style would have suited his Doctor.
    Forum Member
    If they had done it when he regenerated I suppose at least it would have given Amy another reason to sulk and moan and then to be a b!tch to Rory
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    If they had done it when he regenerated I suppose at least it would have given Amy another reason to sulk and moan and then to be a b!tch to Rory

Geesh she was a little girl. She had an imaginary friend. Anyways it may have been interesting but like 11 told Amy, her face was the first face his face saw, so I don't think it would have been the same, I find 11 to be the kind of doctor to be silly and to say silly things like fish custard. I don't know if 10 would have promised to take Amy along.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I would have started watching Dr. Who if David Tennant had stayed on for Series 5. Nothing on him at all, but I hadn't seen any of the show and with there being a new show runner/doctor/companion it just felt like a good jumping on point, if Tennant had stayed I would have probably left it as I would have felt I wouldn't be able to understand some of the story.
    Forum Member
    Geesh she was a little girl. She had an imaginary friend. Anyways it may have been interesting but like 11 told Amy, her face was the first face his face saw, so I don't think it would have been the same, I find 11 to be the kind of doctor to be silly and to say silly things like fish custard. I don't know if 10 would have promised to take Amy along.

I don't mean little Amy she wasn't the sulking type it's big Amy she started to sulk about 10 seconds after we saw her and was still sulking when a Angel got her
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mean little Amy she wasn't the sulking type it's big Amy she started to sulk about 10 seconds after we saw her and was still sulking when a Angel got her

Some pretty girls can be perceived as sulky. I often see nice looking girls walking around with faces like a slapped arse - I always think: "for gods sake, SMILE!" :)
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    Some pretty girls can be perceived as sulky. I often see nice looking girls walking around with faces like a slapped arse - I always think: "for gods sake, SMILE!" :)

It wasn't just her face it was her attitude she always seemed to be upset over something (even before Melody/River went missing) even when things were going good she was in a mood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    It wasn't just her face it was her attitude she always seemed to be upset over something (even before Melody/River went missing) even when things were going good she was in a mood.

I don't understand that or the previous post you made. She "sulked" when he left after prisoner zero had been captured and brought the aliens back and all that I'm the doctor jazz, but who would blame her she waited all those years and she thought he just left her without much of a goodbye