Police tell my son he is too young to be alone??

Comments

• spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    Were they in uniform? If not, it sounds more like unscrupulous debt chasers.

No it was uniform.

I have had the debt chasers for upstairs also = this mad woman saying my visitors were hiding in my house instead of going upstairs. She kept shouting at me "Who is that and who is that" NOTHING to with me or my house, but she thought she had the right to give me sht because by door was next door??
    That was7 years ago, with people like her I would have wanted to hide my neighbours, if the asked, what a bitch.

ps, my son said they told him he had to be 14 to be alone, that was the age? NSPCC doesn't say that.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    No it was uniform.

I have had the debt chasers for upstairs also = this mad woman saying my visitors were hiding in my house instead of going upstairs. She kept shouting at me "Who is that and who is that" NOTHING to with me or my house, but she thought she had the right to give me sht because by door was next door??
    That was7 years ago, with people like her I would have wanted to hide my neighbours, if the asked, what a bitch.

ps, my son said they told him he had to be 14 to be alone, that was the age? NSPCC doesn't say that.

As I posted previously 14 is the age under which a parent can be charged if a child has any mishap.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    No it was uniform.

Hope this helps you abit https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD4QFjAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.uk%2Flaw-on-leaving-your-child-home-alone&ei=53z5UeL_NZSP7AaU_oEQ&usg=AFQjCNH8YJ7DnJhcKqagBD3S_6Vkc4QWKA&sig2=evFeyEzFGca6jlYAkbhxSw
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    As I posted previously 14 is the age under which a parent can be charged if a child has any mishap.

Where are you getting that from? There is no such age limit. See here for example:
    there are no legal guidelines regarding the age at which a child can be left at home alone. The rule of thumb is that the child should be able to look after himself/herself. Again, common sense should apply.
  • SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Id call the police station to find out whats going on.

Plenty of people have to leave teenagers home alone while they go to work. I have to leave mine sometimes for a couple of hours while im at work and their dad is at work.

I was left alone regularly from the age of about 11 or 12. I was a responsible child and enjoyed having the house to myself. Simply because I could watch what I wanted on TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from? There is no such age limit. See here for example:

I can assure you, despite what you are linking that in Scotland parents are liable to charges if a child under the age of 14 suffers a mishap in the home while alone. The whole ambiguity of the law re leaving children has been discussed and rehashed here several times. My niece is a social worker is occasionally involved with families and the police in such cases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understand that, but the only mishap my son had was being cross examined by the police and he should not have answered the door.

He was too honest to say no to the police when they knocked. I brought him up to trust them, didn't know they were going to lie to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that, but the only mishap my son had was being cross examined by the police and he should not have answered the door.

He was too honest to say no to the police when they knocked. I brought him up to trust them, didn't know they were going to lie to him.

The police are very scary and intimidating sometimes. Especially to a young lad. Personally I would not phone them and leave it alone. Im sure they have better things to do :)
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can assure you, despite what you are linking that in Scotland parents are liable to charges if a child under the age of 14 suffers a mishap in the home while alone. My niece is a social worker is occasionally involved with families and the police in such cases.

I'm a lawyer and I'm not aware of such a law. What's the offence they're charged with?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The police are very scary and intimidating sometimes. Especially to a young lad. Personally I would not phone them and leave it alone. Im sure they have better things to do :)

I will be leaving well alone.
    Just hope there is not another knock on my door, then I might change my mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be leaving well alone.
    Just hope there is not another knock on my door, then I might change my mind.

Tell son not to answer it:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell son not to answer it:D

I know but he is too bloody honest.:D great, that is what I wanted,

But sometimes to have to be bad/realistic?
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I'm a lawyer and I'm not aware of such a law. What's the offence they're charged with?

There is no law in England and Wales, nor in Scotland.

In England, it's daft comments by the NSPCC and other bodies who seem to want children watched by their parents 24/7 until they are 18. Despite the fact that most harm to children is by their parents.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Could they of meant he was too young to be alone when they were quizzing him? Whilst he wasn't being questioned maybe they didn't want to risk speaking to him alone?

This. I used to work with kids and would say that sometimes police, or other agencies know things about people you couldn't possibly know.

I agree, a sensible 13 year old should be fine for a few hours home alone. And as OP says, not technically against the law so... yes, I think they know something about OP's neighbours.
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was left home alone from age 8, my mum died, my dad worked, so needs must. I could cook, clean, iron & look after myself. I took myself to school. The neighbours new, the school new, ok it was the late 70's but nobody interfered and I loved it. I left my own kids from age about 13/14 just for a few hours at a time. you've got to learn to trust kids and give them responsibility, otherwise they'll never leave home.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was left home alone from age 8, my mum died, my dad worked, so needs must. I could cook, clean, iron & look after myself. I took myself to school. The neighbours new, the school new, ok it was the late 70's but nobody interfered and I loved it. I left my own kids from age about 13/14 just for a few hours at a time. you've got to learn to trust kids and give them responsibility, otherwise they'll never leave home.

Yes exactly! It's a parent's job to prepare their kids for adulthood, and the longer parents wrap their kids up in cotton wool, the later the child will mature. I wonder if some parents don't want their kids to grow up, and actually want them to stay at home and be dependent - to make the parents feel needed?

Sorry, I've gone off topic OP.

I leave my kids on their own, and they are about your son's age, and very responsible. The lack of day care facilities during school holidays (holiday clubs etc) for kids in high schooI is because they generally don't need it! I was left alone from age 11 in the holidays, and looked after my younger sister. It was a good experience.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it be possible that it is your son who thinks he is too young to be on his own but feels a bit foolish saying so, and that he has made some or all of this up?

Just a thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Funny, I always thought children under 14 couldn't be left home alone. Nice to hear there isn't a law which states that though - as now my OH's ex-wife has no excuse not to go out and get a frigging job! Their youngest is 12, and the ex won't go out and leave her for even an hour!
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's against the law for someone under 16 to be home alone if it places them at risk, so maybe they knew something about the upstairs people that they couldn't say ?

The law on leaving children isn't clear cut at all. In the case outlined by the OP no laws have been broken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Why do people say this? There is no such law.

There is no law about age, it kicks in when and if anything happens to the child while on their own.
    The law states very clearly " It is an offence to leave a child alone when to do so places the child at risk".
    Generally it is a case of after the event that the police become involved.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,363
    Forum Member

With all due respect to Benjamini, their niece is a Social Worker that should tell you all you need to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    With all due respect to Benjamini, their niece is a Social Worker that should tell you all you need to know.

Your sarcasm is wasted on me. Suggest the "lawyer" does his homework!!!

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/help-and-advice/for-parents/keeping-your-child-safe/being-home-alone/home-alone_wda96754.html

PS the charge is neglect.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Your sarcasm is wasted on me. Suggest the "lawyer" does his homework!!!

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/help-and-advice/for-parents/keeping-your-child-safe/being-home-alone/home-alone_wda96754.html

PS the charge is neglect.

You are missing the point, there is no law,which says you have commited offence by leaving a 14 year old on there own. You can check this on the governments own web site
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he was up to something he shouldn't have been and the police were just letting him know that you could potentially be in trouble for it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    You are missing the point, there is no law,which says you have commited offence by leaving a 14 year old on there own. You can check this on the governments own web site

No I have not, for the 3rd and last time I have said there is no age at which it is legal to leave a child alone, it only becomes a legal issue when the child has an accident and police become involved, then the parents can be charged with neglect. It is so simple.