Basic pc question.

spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
Forum Member
✭✭
Broadband has not worked on AOL for six months it only lasted for three anyway. They have now sent us [everyone] a new disc to run otherwise even the land line will not work?? [still paying full price]

Anyway the pc will not run any discs anymore, I don't now if the laser is dirty or just broke? I don't know wether to get someone to fix it or just buy another one? or is there a way to clean it?

Go easy with me as I don't have a clue. As for AOL I can feel a change coming on and can anyone recomend a good alternative? Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    Anyway the pc will not run any discs anymore, I don't now if the laser is dirty or just broke? I don't know wether to get someone to fix it or just buy another one? or is there a way to clean it?

Go easy with me as I don't have a clue. As for AOL I can feel a change coming on and can anyone recomend a good alternative? Thanks.

go pcworld, ask for an IDE DVD drive(cheapest one they've got).
    take home, unplug your computer from the mains.
    under the cover screws at the back(usually 2 on each side)
    take off both the side covers.
    then remove the fixing screws holding your existing drive in place.
    carefully pull it towards you out the case(removing the cables from the back of drive).
    slide in the new drive(re-attaching the cables, don't worry they should be standard and only go in one way).
    screw in the fixing screws, put the case back together, and power up. let windows do it's biz, then probably best to do a reboot.
    once it's booted in again, put the disc in and enjoy.

although you can pay someone to do it for you. would still be cheaper than buying a new machine.

as for the b/band supplier question, can't really say as it would be un-"equivelent" of me. though off the record, i'm with sky and have no probs. alot of people rate be/O2. and credit to them where it's due, some people have even praised BT. so basically check out the review sites there are many suppliers all with different packages so best to find th e one that suits you. they are all basically the same thing,when it works. where they differ is the customer service when it doesn't.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks open.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got a SATA or IDE type? Although I don't know whether this might be too late now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50, thanks for the offer. My mum has come to the reacue and we are going to buy a new one. I was thinking of just going for a lap top? but my daughter has found a pc for £408 in Tesco Direct.

It is an Acer Aspire M3201. Seems ok, we only need the basics. If anyone knows they are crp though pleas tell before I phone and buy.

Plus they want £69 for a 3 year cover, is it worth it or will the makers cover for that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you check the Computer & Networks forum there are a few fairly recent threads in there on the subject of new PC's\laptops. Acer aren't bad though, and the one you mention is reasonably reasonable on the spec. Should be fine.

As for the extended cover, I wouldn't bother. Chances are it'll either last for years or if anything does die in the meantime it'll be either not covered by the warranty or cheaper to just buy the part anyway. Check your house insurance as some will extend cover to tv's and computers etc...
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    zx50, thanks for the offer. My mum has come to the reacue and we are going to buy a new one. I was thinking of just going for a lap top? but my daughter has found a pc for £408 in Tesco Direct.

It is an Acer Aspire M3201. Seems ok, we only need the basics. If anyone knows they are crp though pleas tell before I phone and buy.

Plus they want £69 for a 3 year cover, is it worth it or will the makers cover for that?

Ha ha, nah, I wasn't going to give you one if that's what you meant. I was just wondering which type of connector your motherboard had. It just got assumed that you had an IDE only connector, and was just wondering which type you had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, as I've just re-read the whole thread, I'd switch ISP's before getting a new PC. The last thing you want is an ISP that makes you install complete crap on your PC for no reason. I wouldn't let any of the AOL software anywhere near my PC. That is pretty outrageous behaviour, 'install our rubbish software otherwise we'll cut you off'. Run, run for the hills.

As for who to go with, couple of threads on that (hundreds in fact, every day) in this very forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers everyone. I will go for it and not bother with the £69 cover.