Will BT Charge To Install A New Master Socket??

I have one of these http://www.britishtelephones.com/wiring/socketwiring.htm (first picture) that the outside phone line goes into then a wire comes out of that to a phone socket, now the wire is shall we say a bit manked, works fine though. Anyways according to that site if you have one of those you should call up to get it replaced.

What i would like to know is will BT charge me if i ring them up and tell them i have that ( what ever its called ??) and want it changed to a NTE5 socket ( the one that has the test socket ).
Seen as its do with there side ( well atleast im hoping ) i should'nt get charge.

Comments

• SexyKittenSexyKitten Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Yes, they usually charge, unless they replace during fixing a fault.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Do you know how much they would charge ??
  • SexyKittenSexyKitten Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I don't, they have also increased prices for these types of jobs too, just recently.
  • intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    I think it's £124, sorry to be the bearer of bad news !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If if aint broke dont fix it as the Americans say, but I have to say I would do it myself, doubt BT know the Inventory of sockets in the UK
    Forum Member
    intheknow wrote:
    I think it's £124, sorry to be the bearer of bad news !

What.... £124 to fit a socket that proberly cost £10, madness. Anyone know where i can get a NTE5 socket ?? (not including ebay)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What.... £124 to fit a socket that proberly cost £10, madness. Anyone know where i can get a NTE5 socket ?? (not including ebay)
    I should point out that it is illegal to change the BT provided master socket yourself. If you do so and have a genuine line fault you could end up being charged for any repairs that otherwise would have been free. Simply because BT will blame your re-wiring for the fault!

However if you can establish whether the socket after the junction box is "yours" and not BT's then you can swap it. It all depends on where BT's wiring ends and where "yours" begins. If BT wired up to the junction box and no further then you are OK. However if they wired up to the first socket then technically only BT can replace it.

I very much doubt it will cost 124 quid to change a socket. I believe that is the cost of provisioning a new line. Though it is virtually impossible to find any details about such things on the BT website.

Might be worth calling them to find out.
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were to order broadband for the line then BT would do this free of charge and also fit a free master socket faceplate.
    Forum Member
    Already have broadband. Not BT's BB though.

I'll just neaten up the wiring i have now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    BT charge £116 a visit and £99 an hour or part of an hour. :)
    Forum Member
    BT charge £116 a visit and £99 an hour or part of an hour. :)

That was a joke right.......
  • intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member

No I already said! that's 124 pounds ! The visit + parts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member

NOPE :( look HERE
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife accidentally cut through our BT line. The old junction box was in dreadful condition, parts of it were melted inside. The master socket was one of the old ones that doesn't have a test socket inside. They charged something like £175 to run a new wire from outside the window to the old master socket - they didn't even replace the master socket with a new one.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote:
    My wife accidentally cut through our BT line. The old junction box was in dreadful condition, parts of it were melted inside. The master socket was one of the old ones that doesn't have a test socket inside. They charged something like £175 to run a new wire from outside the window to the old master socket - they didn't even replace the master socket with a new one.

Could you not have just got a cable phone?
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Could you not have just got a cable phone?
    Perhaps Virgin Media's prices worried him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heinz wrote:
    Perhaps Virgin Media's prices worried him.

Surely though the extra wouldnt equal £175?? I have a Virgin Phone but only using it for the free calls wouldnt use it for making calls to mobiles or landlines outwith my free period.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    jon41 wrote:
    If you were to order broadband for the line then BT would do this free of charge and also fit a free master socket faceplate.

Your joking right. My grandad just ordered broadband and stated he had one of these and guess what BT won't send out an engineer unless he pays the charges relating to the call out. Tried to cancel the broadband and he was informed he was liable for the term of the contract. Good ol BT. :rolleyes:
  • steven3001steven3001 Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for an additional extension point or i believe a replacement then the cost is around £164 and something pence including the engineers vsit

44 something quid for the box and around £116 for the enginner or in or around the figure anyway

Its expensive put it that way, but the only reason they put the price up is so that no one would book them and make more work that they dont see as having to need to have done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avfc82 wrote:
    Your joking right. My grandad just ordered broadband and stated he had one of these and guess what BT won't send out an engineer unless he pays the charges relating to the call out. Tried to cancel the broadband and he was informed he was liable for the term of the contract. Good ol BT. :rolleyes:

Yeah that sounds like BT alright. The company is a complete shambles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Tell me about it. I had a problem with my socket, and it needed replacing.
    Engineer came out, fitted a new one and finished within about 15 mins.
    BT want to charge me nearly 220 pounds for this.
    I am not impressed at all!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My stepdad wired the phones in our house for £20! £20 for a friend he knows who used to work for BT, so had experience, equipment etc to run the cable into the house from the main feed, then cable and sockets from his work who were replacing them with something else, so got sockets in loungue kitchen my bedroom and his bedroom. Very nicely done, we chased the walls out etc and did a good job. When he phoned BT they said £200 and were going to go on and he just hung up, swore and phoned his friend up!