Is/Was Your First Doctor your Favourite?

1235»

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My theory is that it's not your FIRST Doctor that's YOUR Doctor, but the first one you see regenerate. I saw some of Tom Baker's stories, and liked him, but when he regenerated into Peter Davison I loved him, and he has always been MY Doctor ever since. I think it's because it was the first Doctor who's life I'd seen all the way through from start to end.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MY 1st doctor was THE 1st doctor ......

......it's all about coiffure. Hairdos. Dr Who no. 1 had long hippie hair (or wore a wig, depending how you look at it) .........

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/607214-big-hair-helped-matt-get-dr-who-job
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    It's a difficult question to answer for me. I was too young to understand Dr Who during "karate chop fop" Pertwee's tenure but I remember the whomobile and thought it was chitty chitty bang bang at the time. I watched it back then purely because there was nothing else on the other 2 channels with monsters in. I strongly remember the regen into Tom's Doctor and thought he was such an hilarious whirlwind version of the Doctor. He was my Doc until quite recently and no he hasn't been replaced by any NuWho's, great as they were. I've been watching some of the classics and have to say that I now love Troughton. For his sharp wit more than anything.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    My theory is that it's not your FIRST Doctor that's YOUR Doctor, but the first one you see regenerate. I saw some of Tom Baker's stories, and liked him, but when he regenerated into Peter Davison I loved him, and he has always been MY Doctor ever since. I think it's because it was the first Doctor who's life I'd seen all the way through from start to end.

This is a good way to look at it actually, as you don't know what you truly love until you have lost it. Christopher Eccleston was my first Doctor, my first regeneration and is my favourite of the three.
    My views on Tennant prove your theory quite well too. It took me a while to 'get' the show when Tennant came in, and see how it all worked. I never warmed to him as much as I did Eccleston, but by Series 3 I had nonetheless accepted him as The Doctor whilst my favouritism never wavered from CE. While liking Tennant, I felt he was never as good an emotional actor as his predecessor and this didnt bode well in his finale (End of Time)....in fact, he was one of the things I didnt like in the episodes. Cafe scene aside, he came across as 'too human'. I appreciated the sentimentality, and the not wanting to die, but it went too far in the regeneration scene with his final line, and it was that scene that summed up why I prefer CE. It might as well be stated that Tennants regen scene was simply his breaking of the 4th wall :o:confused:

sorry about the long winded post guys :D
  • eric1001eric1001 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I wasn't able to watch 'my doctor' Peter Davison due to the timing of the show in his first season.

I caught up and watched the Five Doctors and then his final season as, we had by then, a small B/W portable in the kitchen. Didn't miss a Colin Baker episode but that was because of his assistant.

My fascination with Doctor Who was thanks to Target books.and my local library. I used to read the stories avidly.

My step-father also used to pick up books for about 5-10p in a local second hand store. On a Sunday when I was dragged to the pub, he would stop my whining by buying me one.

I had quite a collection by the end. :D

My favourite doctor as a 6-7 year old was Patrick as he personified the frightened, yet brave; innocent, yet intelligent characterisation perfectly.
    Sometimes I feel that too many future Doctors were dare I say it.. cocky? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Tom Baker was the first Doctor that I considered to be 'mine', and he went on to be joined with Hartnell, Tennant and Smith. So those four are jointly 'my Doctors'.

I guess those four have an iconic 'Doctor' feel for me whilst the others just don't make me feel that way. That said I think all the Doctors are great and I don't really have a favourite as such.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facepalmer wrote: »
    It's a difficult question to answer for me. I was too young to understand Dr Who during "karate chop fop" Pertwee's tenure but I remember the whomobile and thought it was chitty chitty bang bang at the time.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Bessie, the Doctor's Edwardian roadster? The Whomobile was a futuristic looking thing, nothing like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It only appeared twice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having an older brother, I watched DW from a very young age, aroundabout the time Davison took over. I actually remember clearly the original showings of 5 Doctors onwards, through his last season - the stories and proper details. But I must remember bits of earlier ones as I remembered Tegan/Nyssa/Adric together, knew what cybermen were and remembered some scene with an old woman in a cave which I have since decided must have been part of one of the Mara stories.

I loved Davison, he was just right for my 3-6 year old self :D I loved him saving Peri, and was very sad on her behalf when he changed! But I also remember it being pretty upsetting losing Turlough then Tegan (the saddest because of the tears and her apparently trying to come back after the Tardis had gone...) and then the regeneration in 3 straight stories.

I carried on watching but I think I did start to get bored during the trial season - not to mention being shocked at Peri's exit... Hey, I was only little :D

I never liked McCoy (though on rewatch I accept there are good bits) and think I lost interest after a season or so of him. It didn't really help that I thought Bonnie was truly awful and wasn't an Ace fan.

Loved Chris at relaunch and thought him a tough act to follow, but DT had me from 'Did you miss me?'. Still highly rate Chris. Then there's Matt Smith. Hmm. We'll see. I LOVED Eleventh Hour, and liked the last 4 episodes of the season, but with the exception of Amy's Choice, the rest of the middle of the season left me cold. So he might win me over yet, it will depend on the stories... And if the chemistry improves with his assistants.

For me, I don't really do favourites as such but I think of Davison as 'My' Doctor but I also loved DT, he just has that certain charm. Chris was great too and MS has moments of excellence...
  • MiahMiah Posts: 3,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to like all the 'engaging' Doctors. I love Troughton's impishness, Davison's boyish enthusiasm/curiousity and Tennant's high-octane charm.

I grew up with Tom Baker and simply accepted that he was the Doctor. And then Davison came on the scene, and I adored him. So, if anyone ever asks who 'my' Doctor was as a child, I always tell them it was Peter.

And if anyone asks who my favourite is as an adult, they get the same answer. :)
  • JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first Doctor was just at the end of Peter Davison and he is in my top three. My McGann gets it from me. His Eighth Doctor Big Finish plays are simply amazing and I am a little bit obsessed with the 8th Doctor.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miah wrote: »
    I seem to like all the 'engaging' Doctors. I love Troughton's impishness, Davison's boyish enthusiasm/curiousity and Tennant's high-octane charm.

I grew up with Tom Baker and simply accepted that he was the Doctor. And then Davison came on the scene, and I adored him. So, if anyone ever asks who 'my' Doctor was as a child, I always tell them it was Peter.

And if anyone asks who my favourite is as an adult, they get the same answer. :)

Nice to see this thread springing back into action but yes, I agree with you. I'm always proud to say Davison was my fave Doctor!!! :D
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Peter Davison was my first Doctor, so I still like his portrayal a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvester McCoy is, was and shall always be my Doctor.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Baker was my first and favourite doctor. I still view all the other actors as incarnations of him. I love Pertwee, Troughton and Matt Smith's performances too. Really eccentric without being too much of a know it all big head. I like the other guys but never warmed to Sylvester McCoy probably because the show was generally appalling then and was in no way being taken seriously by the BBC.