Options

What equipment do I need to receive German RTL in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    bryhhh wrote: »
    That's good news, but is there any chance that they may no longer be FTA any time soon?

Very unlikely. FTA channels, such as RTL and Sat1, are a part of the German TV scene. There was a plan to use a Astra based encryption scheme at one time but this was abandoned as most Germans using satellite use only FTA. RTL HD will most probably always be encrypted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryhhh wrote: »
    I guess there will always be a risk that the agreement could change the day after anyone where to invest in equipment to receive the broadcast from RTL.

Thats the risk you take with buying any satellite kit for any service..

In the next few years the DVB-S transmission standard will start being phased out for the DVB-S2 standard, leaving millions of DVB-S boxes facing the prospect of steadily losing channels.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Note for those wanting RTL in HD - you only need a HD+ receiver from Germany which comes complete with the required card (which I believe lasts at least a year) from around 130 Euros see here for product range - http://www.hd-plus.de/#/wie-empfange-ich-hd-plus/hd-plus-receiver/produkt-finder.

Can i use the cam and card with a dvb-s2 pci card and cam link like this? http://www.terratec.net/en/products/Cinergy_S2_PCI_HD_CI_1892.html
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Can i use the cam and card with a dvb-s2 pci card and cam link like this? http://www.terratec.net/en/products/Cinergy_S2_PCI_HD_CI_1892.html

It would appear not. that seems to have only a CI interface and not the required CI+ one.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear not. that seems to have only a CI interface and not the required CI+ one.

Do you know of any that will do the job?
  • Options
    Dave_HertsDave_Herts Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I've got RTL in SD running on a Bush Freesat box and it works a treat. My old sky anlogue dish is still in place, so i got a local company out to replaced the LNB with a new universal one, the original picked up some channels on 19.2, but not channels on the higher frequencies where RTL is.
    Looking forward to checking out the F1 coverage.

SKY can stuff their rights
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    B&Q are currently selling the Ross SD satellite kit for £25 (its normally £50) . Just picked up one tonight. I'm not planning to fix the dish, only leave it in the garage to store and get it out only for the races.
  • Options
    MicroSmurfMicroSmurf Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's been mentioned on other threads, I had the SD system but the box reboots when scanning 19E so I exchanged it for the HD system which has so far been reliable. The HD system has also been reduced, from £89.99 to £49.98 so a pretty good deal too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    can't seem to find the HD kit online at the website. may need to swing by b&q sometime to check it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kungfuman wrote: »
    can't seem to find the HD kit online at the website. may need to swing by b&q sometime to check it out.

It's in store only and not on the website, they had plenty when I got mine but they will probably be marked up at the original price of £89.99 but go through the checkout at £49.98.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    MicroSmurf wrote: »
    It's in store only and not on the website, they had plenty when I got mine but they will probably be marked up at the original price of £89.99 but go through the checkout at £49.98.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the offer at B&Q MicroSmurf, I called in today and sure enough they were marked at normal price, with all the £25 SD kits sold out. As soon as it went through the checkout it rang through as £49.98 - so here's one happy bunny :D

Like many others here, F1's coverage on Sky was not an option purely on principal and cost, so RTL is the way I'm headed for next season. I have no experience at all with satellite stuff, so it is a learning curve at the moment. I'm looking at a removable dish mount system as it will only be used for F1, plugging in an F connector in a weatherproof box back to a hard wired connection to the receiver next to the telly.

I started off following motorsport in the 60's and still remember my dad taking me to see Jim Clark when he raced the Lotus Cortina's, happy days.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post, very informative and helpful, ... Cheers
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave_Herts wrote: »
    I've got RTL in SD running on a Bush Freesat box and it works a treat. My old sky anlogue dish is still in place, so i got a local company out to replaced the LNB with a new universal one, the original picked up some channels on 19.2, but not channels on the higher frequencies where RTL is.
    Looking forward to checking out the F1 coverage.

SKY can stuff their rights
    Presumably anyone with a Freesat receiver in non-Freesat mode can give this a go. Particularly those in communal blocks which have large dishes. What frequency is RTL on?
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Particularly those in communal blocks which have large dishes. What frequency is RTL on?

But possibly not as RTL is on 19.2E (and other satellites) whereas almost all communal dishes are pointed at 28E

RTL frequencies here
    http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=rtl&Submit=Zap
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    But possibly not as RTL is on 19.2E (and other satellites) whereas almost all communal dishes are pointed at 28E

RTL frequencies here
    http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=rtl&Submit=Zap

Thanks for this, unfortunately you were correct on the direction my communal dish is pointed at.
  • Options
    MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just started doing my research into getting RTL for the F1 next year - this thread has been very useful, thanks everyone.

The question I have is, looking at SatEuropa, there's a blinding array of HD+ boxes with card. Are there any makes that are particularly good or bad? Considering the £50 sub for HD, but currently undecided. B&Q have the Ross kit in at £25 atm and people seem pretty happy with that!
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minardi wrote: »
    Considering the £50 sub for HD, but currently undecided. B&Q have the Ross kit in at £25 atm and people seem pretty happy with that!
    We recently bought a complete HD kit from B&Q for £49.99...

Cheaper than they were selling the boxes on their own, so I got a spare dish and LNB out of it for less money than I was going to pay for the box.:)
  • Options
    MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    The Ross kit is composite video only, i.e. no RGB.

Red white and yellow RCAs you mean? That's no issue.

Gneiss - That's not compatible with the RTL HD service though is it? Doesn't that need an HD+ Card? I'm not totally sure tbh, I'm techy, but have no experience in Sat at all! :p. I'm just lucky I know someone who'll give me a hand to put it all up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red white and yellow RCAs you mean? That's no issue.

Gneiss - That's not compatible with the RTL HD service though is it? Doesn't that need an HD+ Card? I'm not totally sure tbh, I'm techy, but have no experience in Sat at all! :p. I'm just lucky I know someone who'll give me a hand to put it all up!

I had the Ross SD kit but took it back because the box would keep re-booting during the scan process on 19.2E. I got the HD kit instead and while it does not have a card slot for RTL HD etc, you can use it for the handful of FTA HD channels. The HD box is also a lot better than the SD one and I have had no scanning or other problems with it, for £49.99 it is a pretty good value FTA kit.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss - That's not compatible with the RTL HD service though is it? Doesn't that need an HD+ Card?
    Unfortunately RTL HD isn't FTA, and no the box hasn't got a card slot...

...most the main RTL channels are available FTA in SD though.
  • Options
    larkimlarkim Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldgasman wrote: »
    I started off following motorsport in the 60's and still remember my dad taking me to see Jim Clark when he raced the Lotus Cortina's, happy days.

Watched some Lotus Cortinas belting around Oulton Park a few weeks ago at the Gold Cup - given the sophistication of current saloon car racing, I couldn't believe how quick those things were (and how brave the drivers were / are!)

Matt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi all, Am going down the route of The Humax Foxsat HD and a second dish, got the humax already and can have next doors old sky dish :) my question is does the humax Foxsat HD support diseqc switching? and as i have my sky/freesat dish Iwill put the other one below it but is there any info out there to help me line this one up to 19.2E

Cheers
    Martin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    wiggy_ wrote: »
    Hi all, Am going down the route of The Humax Foxsat HD and a second dish, got the humax already and can have next doors old sky dish :) my question is does the humax Foxsat HD support diseqc switching? and as i have my sky/freesat dish Iwill put the other one below it but is there any info out there to help me line this one up to 19.2E

Cheers
    Martin

The HDR has a secret menu red green yellow blue green yellow blue
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, found this which helped me out
    http://foxsat-hdr.wikispaces.com/DiSEqC
  • Options
    mikewilliams743mikewilliams743 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

I'm a pretty geeky guy, but when it comes to satellite equipment I'm a total noob!

For first few races of the season I paid for Sky Go so I could watch the live F1 races on Sky but have refused to pay £35 to watch a single race for Bahrain and Canada.

I want to watch the rest of the races that Sky has exclusively live on RTL but I have no idea on how to go about it.

Was hoping someone could give me some advice on how the equipment I need to get and how to set it up.

I have a limited budget but I am willing to pay a reasonable amount for some decent equipment so I can get HD Freesat channels and if possible some FTA channels that aren't available on Freesat. But my main aim is to watch F1 on RTL.

Hope you guys can help me, and thanks in advance :)