Options

iPad mini from £269 worth it?

Comments

• Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Way better? In what ways? Nothing I can't do on my Playbook that I would need a Nexus 7 for...and got 64GB storage...and I prefer the UI

Just how good is the playbook? My wife has an ipad 1 and has been eyeing up my nexus 7 ever since I've had it.
    You say there's nothing the Nexus can do that the playbook can't, but I wonder about the apps I use. All my Synology apps and streaming apps that I can use via my tethered phone, is that possible on the playbook?
    If so, it may be a serious consideration for me.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 is a far superior gaming device for a start, access to a far superior E-book store and app ecosystem, plus you can host all of your music and what ever else you feel comfortable with in the cloud and leave the rest for the onboard memory. The Playbook has next to no apps, and the UI leaves a lot to be desired.

The Nexus 7 is also likely to have support for a lot longer, as it's not a dying platform and not made by a company that's haemorrhaging money fast!
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was having a play in Currys the other day, and actually the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab seemed a better bet than the Nexus to me. Sharp, responsive, looks cool, and 2 features neither the iPad mini or Nexus have - plays Flash, and has a microSD slot.

iPad mini looks really nice, I like the form factor and that its good to go with all existing apps. But the Galaxy Tab makes more sense to me overall, and you can pick up the basic model for £185 (and increase memory with a dead cheap SD card).
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 7 is a far superior gaming device for a start, access to a far superior E-book store and app ecosystem, plus you can host all of your music and what ever else you feel comfortable with in the cloud and leave the rest for the onboard memory. The Playbook has next to no apps, and the UI leaves a lot to be desired.

You mean the Kindle app that can be happily side loaded onto the Playbook, and give you access to the same range of books?

And of course, reading eBooks on an LCD is a relatively horrible experience.

As for the cloud, I would *never* rely on data services, worked in the comms and hosting industry for too long to believe that they're sufficiently stable.

From what you say on the interface, I really can't believe you've used a Playbook. The Swipe interface is ridiculously natural, and way beyond anything I've yet to see on Android or iOS (and yes, I own devices running those OS's - iPhone 4S and a CFW Vega). My 4 year old son picked up the basics of multi tasking on the Playbook without any instruction, Android is clunky in comparison.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

The PlayBook can run 3D games fine. Stuff like Shadowgun, Need for Speed all run very well on it.

As you can access Amazons Kindle on a PlayBook I can't think the Nexus has access to anything better.

True you can leave a lot on the cloud but it's a lot. More convenient if it's stored on board and 64gb for £130 is very good.

In what way do you think the UI is lacking? I have found it to be much nicer to use than either Android or iOS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just how good is the playbook? My wife has an ipad 1 and has been eyeing up my nexus 7 ever since I've had it.
    You say there's nothing the Nexus can do that the playbook can't, but I wonder about the apps I use. All my Synology apps and streaming apps that I can use via my tethered phone, is that possible on the playbook?
    If so, it may be a serious consideration for me.

For what I need it is fine but the apps are something each individual would need to look into. I'm afraid I can't advise on that particular application.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 is also likely to have support for a lot longer, as it's not a dying platform and not made by a company that's haemorrhaging money fast!

That's true but what support will I need? I have the apps I want and I have a high quality browser. No doubt in a few years I will upgrade but until then I could not be happier
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    I was having a play in Currys the other day, and actually the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab seemed a better bet than the Nexus to me. Sharp, responsive, looks cool, and 2 features neither the iPad mini or Nexus have - plays Flash, and has a microSD slot.

iPad mini looks really nice, I like the form factor and that its good to go with all existing apps. But the Galaxy Tab makes more sense to me overall, and you can pick up the basic model for £185 (and increase memory with a dead cheap SD card).
    I think Samsung are still doing cashback until the end of October so it may be possible to get it for around £160. Worth checking anyway for anyone thinking of getting one.
  • Options
    Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange to see the phones getting bigger, and the iPad getting smaller.
  • Options
    pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be like a 3/4 scale iPad2.

Not really something I'd buy but I can see the market I guess. I think the price is about right. Yes it's a bit more than the Nexus but it's also a bit bigger and has a more comprehensive app store. But the nexus arguably gives you a bit more bang for your buck.

Hold on a year and they'll probably add the retina screen. Then it might be worth getting, but for the moment, I don't think it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pumazooma wrote: »
    . Yes it's a bit more than the Nexus but it's also a bit bigger and has a more comprehensive app store. But the nexus arguably gives you a bit more bang for your buck.

Hold on a year and they'll probably add the retina screen. Then it might be worth getting, but for the moment, I don't think it is.

Is there really that much between the app stores anymore??
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab seemed a better bet than the Nexus to me. Sharp, responsive, looks cool, and 2 features neither the iPad mini or Nexus have - plays Flash, and has a microSD slot.

Nexus plays Flash. Just need to download it from the Adobe side.
    clonmult wrote: »
    You mean the Kindle app that can be happily side loaded onto the Playbook, and give you access to the same range of books?

Well there's the Kindle app, but also Google Books, which holds more books than either Amazon or Apple.
    https://play.google.com/books

the difference is pretty negligible to most users though.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

a tiny slither. 700k vs 650k from what I remember, with the smaller one growing faster.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PlayBook can run 3D games fine. Stuff like Shadowgun, Need for Speed all run very well on it.

As you can access Amazons Kindle on a PlayBook I can't think the Nexus has access to anything better.

True you can leave a lot on the cloud but it's a lot. More convenient if it's stored on board and 64gb for £130 is very good.

In what way do you think the UI is lacking? I have found it to be much nicer to use than either Android or iOS

But can it emulate all the PS1 games smoothly with OpenGL like Android can? Didn't think so. The Google Play Book Store has more titles than the Amazon one apparently, and I just think the UI is rubbish. Blackberry has not invested in QNX and when you compare it to Android's Holo UI, it's just lacking in comparison.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tegra3 gaming is definitely a level above whats possible on the Tegra2 devices.
    Zack06 wrote:
    But can it emulate all the PS1 games smoothly with OpenGL like Android can? Didn't think so. The Google Play Book Store has more titles than the Amazon one apparently, and I just think the UI is rubbish. Blackberry has not invested in QNX and when you compare it to Android's Holo UI, it's just lacking in comparison.

You're grasping at straws - the PS1 emulation is nice, but without suitable input methods (ie. a dual shock), its nothing more than a niche.

And can't even begin to agree about BB OS2 lacking comparison to Holo - I've got a few Holo styled apps on my Android tablet, and they're okay, but still nowhere near as intuitive as the PB.

I've had too many years in software/interface design, the elegance/simplicity of the swipe interface is amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Tegra3 gaming is definitely a level above whats possible on the Tegra2 devices.

You're grasping at straws - the PS1 emulation is nice, but without suitable input methods (ie. a dual shock), its nothing more than a niche.

And can't even begin to agree about BB OS2 lacking comparison to Holo - I've got a few Holo styled apps on my Android tablet, and they're okay, but still nowhere near as intuitive as the PB.

I've had too many years in software/interface design, the elegance/simplicity of the swipe interface is amazing.

A good interface shouldn't need statements like this to try and justify it as good. Android also implements natural gestures across its entire interface. To call it clunky suggests that you haven't used the 4.x interface at all...

The designer of the Holo UI is Matias Duarte who was entirely responsible for the WebOS interface which BB ripped off in QNX. The Android UI gives you a lot more freedom.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Yes the Kindle app can be side loaded and works just fine on the PB. Also agree about the interface, I used a Galaxy tab for a while and I really didn't like it, I prefer my iPad and the PB

I really can't see Blackberry going away.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Nexus plays Flash. Just need to download it from the Adobe side.

If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't work with Chrome though, does it?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

No it doesn't but it won't on any android device.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Plenty of other options that flash does work on ...... the beauty of android :)
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange that Galaxy tab doesn't have an HDMI connector but most cheaper tablets do.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    The App store still seems to be the preferred store for premium apps and games thanks to the uniformity of iOS software.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    The App store still seems to be the preferred store for premium apps and games thanks to the uniformity of iOS software.

As I understand it, the App Store has far more apps designed to run on an iPad (and therefore the iPad mini). The android apps are a lot of scaled up phone apps.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 7 16/32GB from £199 is way way WAY more worth it than this.

No Android tablet can compare up any size of iPad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Android tablet can compare up any size of iPad.

Exactly because practically all Android tablets are already undeniably better. Galaxy Tab 2, Transformer Prime, Nexus 7. The iPad has been slayed. People only buy it for the brand not the actual device and even then, Apple's brand image is starting to deteriorate. :)