Will Susan Boyle ever make her own music ?

2»

Comments

• thistledounthistledoun Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    newplanet wrote: »
    Er, no, we all HAVE NOT all been starved of oxygen to the brain as a baby and now have learning difficulties as a result.

Actually it is a myth, perpetuated by the media, that her 'learning difficulties' are the result of oxygen deprivation at birth. Oxygen deprivation has never been medically proven to cause disabilities such as ADHD. And in Susan's case, her 'difficulties' are probably genetic, since she exhibits some of the same behaviours as her uncle (her mother's brother), who spent most of his life in a mental hospital.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    She doesn't have the creative brain power to write a original song

Hmm, wonder if you would have said that of Frank Sinatra or Elvis? That is a lazy insult, normally dragged out by the less intelligent.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, no, we all HAVE NOT all been starved of oxygen to the brain as a baby and now have learning difficulties as a result.

Although it would certainly be something to pin that ridiculous statement on in your case.

Don't you dare use that as an excuse and try to make me fell awful. Plus i have learning difficulites myself but again, I don't use them as an excuse or have anyone speak for me as an excuse.
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Actually it is a myth, perpetuated by the media, that her 'learning difficulties' are the result of oxygen deprivation at birth. Oxygen deprivation has never been medically proven to cause disabilities such as ADHD. And in Susan's case, her 'difficulties' are probably genetic, since she exhibits some of the same behaviours as her uncle (her mother's brother), who spent most of his life in a mental hospital.

Okay, it's a myth since you say it is. Regardless, the point stands, we don't ALL have the same problems Susan Boyle has and a simple smile doesn't solve hers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    She's a singer. She's not a songwriter or producer.

That said, I think other people should write songs for her. It's not a good idea to have her sing an endless stream of covers imo.

i doubt she has a say in what she records tbh..
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Don't you dare use that as an excuse and try to make me fell awful. Plus i have learning difficulites myself but again, I don't use them as an excuse or have anyone speak for me as an excuse.

Wasn't trying to make you feel awful and I will apologise for the second comment because it was indeed rather rude of me.

However, Susan Boyle's problems are HER problems. By all means speak for yourself, but what you did was speak for everyone. We DON'T all have the same problems she does! I don't have the same problems she does. Rihanna doesn't have the same problems she does. Neither does Madonna, neither does Streisand and about a million other stars.

You said she wasn't mentally fit enough to tour - and on that subject you may well be right - but that is NOT the same as being lazy! Do you think her doctor is saying "Look here SuBO, I know you've got your problems and all that, but fancy just putting a smile on your chops for a change, get over yourself and start touring, you lazy mare?"

You say that no-one is making excuses for your own learning difficulties but, for the record, if you were a star the likes of Susan Boyle and you didn't feel fit enough to tour, and someone on here was calling you lazy and miserable because of it, I most definitely WOULD be sticking up for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susan Bole covering many tracks is no different than Rihanna singing a load of tracks she had no input in to.

Susan is not chasing credibility, she is just riding the wave and enjoying her career for as long as it stands. Just like Rihanna, One Direction etc. There's nothing wrong with Susan covering songs, she obviously has a fan base and 4 consecutive top 10 albums prove that.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind. Whilst I wouldn't listen to her she's hit on a successful formula that works for her so there no need to change. I suspect she's loaded too, good luck to her I say.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's got learning difficulties, she's past her peak in age (she only started doing this when she was in her late 40s), she's not had a job of any sort really in her life so she's doing quite well just to do the work she does at the minute anyway day to day. She always wanted to be a singer anyway, not a musician right? And isnt it right that she's led a very sheltered life anyway, singing in a choir and living with and looking after her mother and that's all she's done?

Chances are she's not going to start making her own music, then again her life is pretty private, she could be writing it and it just not getting on her albums. If she's signed to Syco she'll be managed up to her eyeballs anyway and she's hardly experienced in the industry.

The people you mentioned like Dylan and McCartney and Bowie may be older than she is but started much younger and have a lifetime of experience and control of their own careers and industry respect related to their experience, independence and prior achievements. I don't think SuBo has any of these necessarily at this stage in her career, although I'm sure she is a lovely lady.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    i don't think Subo has to write songs at all and I'm sure there are songwriters who would actually like to write for her. Sounds like a project.
  • thistledounthistledoun Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    posted today on the Facebook page of Native Records ("Independent Record Label, Booking Agency, Publishing and Management Company, made in Sheffield 1985"):

"Today in the Native office:
    As part of our new publishing deal, we have been asked if we have artists who would like to submit songs to Albums by the following: Natasha Bedingfield, Jennifer Hudson and Susan Boyle ( yes that Susan Boyle!). So let me know...... :] "

http://www.facebook.com/NativeRecords.since1985?ref=stream#!/NativeRecords.since1985/info
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    If it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind. Whilst I wouldn't listen to her she's hit on a successful formula that works for her so there no need to change. I suspect she's loaded too, good luck to her I say.

she may be better off than she was, but she certainly won't be "loaded" The only people who make real money from music these days are record label execs and song-writers
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't trying to make you feel awful and I will apologise for the second comment because it was indeed rather rude of me.

However, Susan Boyle's problems are HER problems. By all means speak for yourself, but what you did was speak for everyone. We DON'T all have the same problems she does! I don't have the same problems she does. Rihanna doesn't have the same problems she does. Neither does Madonna, neither does Streisand and about a million other stars.

You said she wasn't mentally fit enough to tour - and on that subject you may well be right - but that is NOT the same as being lazy! Do you think her doctor is saying "Look here SuBO, I know you've got your problems and all that, but fancy just putting a smile on your chops for a change, get over yourself and start touring, you lazy mare?"

You say that no-one is making excuses for your own learning difficulties but, for the record, if you were a star the likes of Susan Boyle and you didn't feel fit enough to tour, and someone on here was calling you lazy and miserable because of it, I most definitely WOULD be sticking up for you.

I didn't mean to sound like I was speaking on behalf of everyone

But yes you have some valid points which are correct.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    callmediva wrote: »
    she may be better off than she was, but she certainly won't be "loaded" The only people who make real money from music these days are record label execs and song-writers

Well the media spouts all sorts of ridiculous estimates of Subo's wealth. The latest from many sources is 20 million pounds or $30 million. Don't believe that, because of taxes, staff expenses and percentages to her mgr (not Syco, btw) and producer. However, she pays for minimal promotion, so what she does sell is largely profit to her label and herself. I suppose Subo has $10 million plus after less than 4 years.

SHE says she's, "earned a decent sum", but she's a "careful spender", because she never wants to go back to "the gut wrenching poverty and moments of panic" of 4 years ago. Would that all popular singers had as much sense.

After her sensational debut in 2009, she's quite aware that she's now a niche singer and apparently is perfectly happy with that. #4 was show tunes. She's been quoted as saying she'd like #5 to be jazz, an even smaller niche.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people on here are comparing her to professional performers with a lifetime of stage experience. She's not that. She's very inexperienced (even now) and is learning her craft in a very intense spotlight. Give her a break.

And no, I'm not even remotely a fan of her music, but the pure hatred that gets slung her way kind of makes me feel sick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one is here for original, boundary-pushing SuBo lmao
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    marcusgv wrote: »
    i don't think Subo has to write songs at all and I'm sure there are songwriters who would actually like to write for her. Sounds like a project.

You bet there are. But Subo has to "relate" to the song, as her producer Steve Mac once said. Many are submitted but so far only 4 have made the cut. She has to feel the words.

And you're right. In her still world famous audition, she said she wanted to be a"professional singer", nothing about being a professional songwriter. There's an older and perfectly respectable tradition, where songwriters wrote and singers sang.

It changed when singers found that, if they "collaborated" on the writing of songs they sang, they could do the writers out of a percentage of their royalties and keep more for themselves. Even Adele and Emeli Sande have teams or 4 and 3 writers, respectively, to help them turn out songs. Songwriting by committee. Subo doesn't pretend to collaborate, or be anything other than an excellent singer