We need more organ donors

Comments

• Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    :confused: Why?

Well in my case because I've specifically told them my body can be harvested as much as the NHS likes, so they'd be going against my wishes.

But for anyone else, I'd still call it a worthless sentimental attachment that potentially stops others living better lives.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Well in my case because I've specifically told them my body can be harvested as much as the NHS likes, so they'd be going against my wishes.

But for anyone else, I'd still call it a worthless sentimental attachment that potentially stops others living better lives.

So mainly because its you personal choice. Some choose not to and shouldn't be emotionally blackmailed ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So mainly because its you personal choice. Some choose not to and shouldn't be emotionally blackmailed ;-)

The real emotional blackmail is a 'loved one' fooling themselves into thinking a dead body is too sacrosanct to harvest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No. But I reserve the right to call them fools on a thread relating to the subject.

Way to drive people away and not bother to read others views and perhaps reconsider ;-);-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Way to drive people away and not bother to read others views and perhaps reconsider ;-);-)

It's quaint that you think DS arguments will ever change anyone's mind about anything. Just don't drop in on any religious threads. ;-);-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The real emotional blackmail is a 'loved one' fooling themselves into thinking a dead body is too sacrosanct to harvest.

No, when the body is all you have left in grief it doesn't suddenly become a bag of bones and organs. We wouldn't bother the expense of funerals if that was the case. If you think otherwise I would suggest you're in the minority . ;-)

Loved ones ideally would never be in this position because either a) no tragedy or b) the victims wishes are already known
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's quaint that you think DS arguments will ever change anyone's mind about anything. Just don't drop in on any religious threads. ;-);-)

Perhaps not much chance but if we're open minded we can learn from everyone ;-)
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    This is it exactly. Only a tiny percentage of deaths can result in organ transplants. The organs need to be kept 'alive' even though the person is 'dead' (technically, although the definition of death had to change in order to ethically allow some organ transplants, with, often, the heart still beating).

Therefore, you need to die as a result of a sudden traumatic event such as a brain haemorrhage or be involved in an accident. You need to be in a facility where you can be put on a ventilator and life support in order to maintain your organs,

The fact is that many family members are so distraught and distressed by such a shocking, sudden death that they are not receptive to the idea of giving away organs. These patients are brought into theatre and still look 'alive'. I completely understand and I too would probably consider it quite insensitive to be broached on the subject at such an awful time. Some people, if approached in the right way, can find solace from doing something good out of something so horrible.

I strongly believe that everyone should have the choice to do what they feel is best for them. Our Transplant Co Ordinator never puts pressure on the familes and respects whatever decision they make.

Yes bone skin eyes can be donated but this thread I believe was talking about the major organs and I think many people may not be aware (or have thought about it) that very few people on the donor list will die in such a circumstance as to allow donation and of those it requires the health care professionals to recognise the opportunity and call the right people to make it happen this would be one of the big contributors to a shortage

EDIT - quoting the wrong person here apologies
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would but I have a question I am on long term medication. For this reason I cannot give blood, does the same apply to organ donation?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe they can be persuaded with rational argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Maybe they can be persuaded with rational argument.

Couldn't harm :)
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I would but I have a question I am on long term medication. For this reason I cannot give blood, does the same apply to organ donation?

Found this on an NHS website:
    Can I be a donor if I have an existing medical condition?

Yes, in most circumstances. Having a medical condition does not necessarily prevent a person from becoming an organ or tissue donor. The decision about whether some or all organs or tissue are suitable for transplant is made by a healthcare professional, taking into account your medical history.

There is only one condition where organ donation is ruled out completely. A person cannot become an organ or tissue donor if they have, or are suspected of having, CJD. In very rare cases, the organs of donors with HIV or hep C have been used to help others with the same conditions. This is only ever carried out when both parties have the condition. All donors have rigorous checks to guard against infection.
  • Options
    tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't mind if you think about being a donor and decide "no I don't want that" that is fine.

If you are ok with being a donor, please sign up and tell your family your wishes.
    If you have teenage children, ask them what they think about the subject. Maybe in 15 years we will be growing clone organs? But for now... We need them.Stacie in the video clip needs one ... ASAP.
    1000 days on the transplant list.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May i ask why you feel this way

Won't accept a transplant because I have witnessed a friend and family member both die because of failed transplants, won't allow donation because my organs are mine and even after death I do not accept the NHS or anyone else has the right to my organs without my prior consent.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    No , I would take off my family tho . As I know them and trust them .

I don't quite get what you mean, what has trust got to do with it, are you concerned about disease or picking up characteristics from the doner?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't accept a transplant because I have witnessed a friend and family member both die because of failed transplants, won't allow donation because my organs are mine and even after death I do not accept the NHS or anyone else has the right to my organs without my prior consent.
    I can understand your experiences would put your off but transplants have saved many life's. By opting out you are able to make a decision. I certainly do not think people should be forced to donate
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've spoken to a few cretins who wouldn't donate organs. Their reasons didn't seem to go beyond 'cos it's weird!'

Cretins have a right to decide what happens to their body after they die and if they do not accept donation then that is their fundamental right in a free society, if it was left to ignoramus cretins such as yourself then I fear for the future of the donation service, you cannot decide to force people to donate.

A donation of organs should be given freely of ones own accord, treating folk as nothing more than possible donar harvests will put more folk of signing the register.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand your experiences would put your off but transplants have saved many life's. By opting out you are able to make a decision. I certainly do not think people should be forced to donate

I do donate blood on a regular basis but everything else is off limits.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We human beings not live stock
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    We human beings not live stock
    And that matters how?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still struggling to understand the logic of people who do not want to be a donor. You're dead, why does it matter to you what happens with your body parts?

Could understand your concern if it worked like this (viewer discretion is advised)
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are 80 year old livers much use?
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't care what happens to my body after my death but if it ever becomes 'opt out', I will opt out, out of principle.

No government owns my body!

It's disgusting to even contemplate taking body parts without consent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Are 80 year old livers much use?

Probably be very tasty with some fava beans and a nice chianti. FFF FFF FFF FFFAA!!!
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another who wouldn't be in agreement with an opt out system (although I think everyone should be on the register).

But more education is definitely needed.